Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

I will pick Infante to the ASG...but you will blow me first (TWiB 7/5 - 7/11)

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
geniusMoment said:
Uncle. I'm pretty much done watching baseball for a few weeks. This shit is ruining my summer. It's not worth it.
I definitely understand the sentiment. It was after watching this game (and putting a hole in the wall after Mesa's walk) that I had to take a break from Phillies baseball. Some times you have to back up.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Watching Halladay's starts has been a bit frustrating this season. He's 10-7 despite the best season of his career. Halladay's ERA is now 2.19, the second lowest ERA for a Phillie since the dead ball era. But he gets little run support.

Dobbs3K

Integral Poster
Reaction score
alkeiper said:
Watching Halladay's starts has been a bit frustrating this season. He's 10-7 despite the best season of his career. Halladay's ERA is now 2.19, the second lowest ERA for a Phillie since the dead ball era. But he gets little run support.

I know what you mean. He was my first round pick on my fantasy team, and he pitches great, but doesn't have the wins to show for it.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
bps21 said:
I liked Reds fan better when Reds fan had no hope.

I didn't even know there were Reds fans here.

You have to post on message boards when your team sucks, too, people. Otherwise your not a real fan.

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Star Ocean 2 said:
bps21 said:

You have to post on message boards when your team sucks, too, people. Otherwise your not a real fan.

When they do nothing of note worth mentioning besides losing (and not losing in agonizing ways like say the Cubbies, but just being subpar), you tend not to have much to talk about.

At least with a St. Louis loss yesterday we're gaurenteed no matter what to have sole possesion of 1st place when they come home to face the Rockies, and I'm going to Friday's game. With a tribute to the 1990 team and and MC Hammer concert to boot. U Can't Touch This!

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Star Ocean 2 said:
You have to post on message boards when your team sucks, too, people.

This team has sucked for the last three games, I have no idea what you're talking about

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bored said:
Was at the A's game tonight and I might have witnessed the end of Scott Kazmir's MLB career for all intensive purpose. He had an ERA over 10 in his last three starts coming into the game and the A's hit him up for 13 runs in five innings. Definitely was the most runs I've ever seen given up by one pitcher. This guy is toast. See Steve Phillips was right all along!

Apparently this start garnered a game score of negative eight. That's borderline impressive.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Star Ocean 2 said:
bps21 said:

My dad says that since pro players are paid to win, it's okay to be a fair weather fan.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jason Heyward can't make it to the All Star game, so the NL needed another position player. Ryan Zimmerman finished second on the final vote ballot and still isn't on the team. Carlos Gonzalez was third on the final vote and is actually an outfielder. Still not on the team. Josh Willingham had a huge first half and plays outfield. Not on the team.

The replacement for Heyward? Hong-Chih Kuo. Charlie Manuel loves him some middle relievers.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jeff Francouer is hitless in this series against Atlanta and has only seen 20 pitches total.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Back in 2003-2005 or so when the Reds would get off to hot starts Reds fans would post at the old board. They were usually gone by mid July/August though

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Charlie Manuel loves him some middle relievers.
And he's going to use every single one of them in the game, too. You think this is bad, wait until Tony La Russa's elaborate system of mind control is deployed in a pivotal Cardinals/Phillies playoff series.

Dandy

Reaction score
We've had 5-6 Reds fans on here posting for years. We've always discussed the Reds. The Reds just happen to be televised nationally more often this year, and there is a lot more to talk about.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah seriously, I remember there being plenty of Reds fans on TSM. It was a running joke last year too.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
Man, the Angels television announcers are fucking whining little bitches. Whining about Jeff Weaver, the All Star Game, the umpires everything!

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tough loss again today I see. The only promise I take out of this is how good our starting pitching was over these four games (minus Leake gassing it in the top of the 9th Friday, when he should have been already gone NOT going for a CG). The offense just seemed tired, which is bound to happen, just a shame it happened when the Reds had a real chance to gain big ground on St. Louis. The bats will come back, of that I'm not worried. The starting pitching will only get stronger.

That leaves the one glarring problem: the bullpen. And mainly when I say bullpen, I mean Cordero. Bob, Walt, Dusty, I know you're paying this guy a boatload, but FIND another closer before the dealine. You need another option, a better option.

Still, if you'd told me at the beginning of the season, that come the All Star break we'd be 49-40, in first place with 4 All Stars, I'd have taken it. So I'll be there Friday when they come back home, ready to help get the 2nd half off to a good start (tell me we don't face Jiminez).

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Arguing against Jeff Francoeur as a valuable baseball palyer on a message board is a lost cause

Intangibles! Intangibles! Intangibles!

He Smiles! Yeah!

Leadership! David Wright is a pussy!

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Please - don't insult the good name of Juan Pierre.

In all seriousness, with Beltran coming back Frenchy represents a decently valuable cog for this team. So long as he's not starting on a regular basis he can actually help out by acting as a pinch hitter, occasional platoon partner for Pagan, and defensive replacement for Bay. Not worth what they're paying him, but hell, even starting he's not worth that much.