Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Jeopardy (the television game show) thread

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Honestly Ken Jennings is bland but dignified enough to ease into the role. I would not object to him getting it permanently in 2021. I would like to wait on final judgement until I see who else its going to guest host. Jeopardy isn't a show that lends itself to getting a comedian as a host, for me. So honestly, who in entertainment 60 years old or younger, would be great for this?

Just fantasy booking but listening to modern day Scottie Pippen talk on the "Last Dance" I wonder how he would work in that type of role. I already want him to read me bed time stories, don't judge me.

If Rob Lowe could keep the hamming to an extreme minimum, he'd be a comedic actor I could accept in that role. I think he has a decent presence when he's not going for laughs.

Also, there's a bunch of retired politicians that would do great long term, but doubtful they'd be interested. Barack Obama, Bobby Jindal, Al Gore...all politicians that were polarizing in their day, but their microphone work is dignified enough and they carry themselves well enough to host Jeopardy type stuff. (Gore fails my age test, though)

Throwing shit at the wall, as soon as I hit "post reply" I'll have more ideas.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is crazy that Alex Trebek was such a dignified, respected figure that journalists let alone retired politicians are being considered as replacements.

Tom Bergeron is someone I just saw brought up that would probably be pretty perfect and seamless albeit a kind of unexciting choice.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is crazy that Alex Trebek was such a dignified, respected figure that journalists let alone retired politicians are being considered as replacements.

Tom Bergeron is someone I just saw brought up that would probably be pretty perfect and seamless albeit a kind of unexciting choice.
That guy seems creepy to me for some reason, but thinking about it Trebek was always one of the only regular game show hosts that never came off like a creep or someone with a sinister undercurrent.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I never got creepy/douche vibes from Bergeron but I might be biased since he is a fellow NEW ENGLAND MAN (hey maybe Mike Gorman could host Jeopardy!, @Baby Shoes ).

It's forgotten since he died but Alex Trebek was definitely kind of a conservative doof (although I doubt he was a MAGA dude) and he did a really horrible job moderating a Pennsylvania gubernatorial debate in 2018 (complete with random, inappropriate Catholic Church pedophilia scandal jokes)

But I mean in terms of sinister undercurrent, there's not much.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not going to hold being a Republican against my man Alex may he rest in peace since I don't know if you're even legally allowed to host a game show in the US without donating to the Republican Party.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's true. I don't know Tom Bergeron just has the face of someone that sneaks a sniff into a woman's shoe. But, then again that's the Game Show Host vibe they nearly all have. I'm sure Tommy is a lovely person and not truly reprehensible like Woolery or Sajak or Barker.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be curious to see how the rotation goes. I remember when Kathie Lee was leaving and they were rotating a ton of hosts until Kelly Ripa came on and it was an instant mesh with Regis despite not really being an 'expected' name. I think we could see the same thing with Jeopardy where somebody comes somewhat out of the left field but proves to be a great host.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wish Bert Convey was still alive. He seemed like a decent dude. Burt Reynolds loved him and that's good enough for me.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ken Jennings, James Holzhauer or someone random like Jim Rash from Community or I wonder what any of the guys from Big Bang Theory are doing now.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There have been so few female game show hosts (and a lot of the ones that have have hosted more light hearted shows) that it didn’t even cross my mind.

Off the top of my head, I think Katie Couric or Jane Pauley would be good but it would defy @SFH ’d wisdom that is should be someone under the age of 60.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Natalie Portman. Harvard educated, wide audience appeal. Very credible.

Would need to put her acting career on hold, probably. She could host for the next 30-40 years.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Ken Jennings is a funny guy, so that'd be perfect. Women could be, like, Katie Couric or CCH Pounder.

I will watch every show for the rest of my life if for some reason Mara Wilson becomes the host.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought that Mara Wilson was the person that I want the most as Jeopardy host after these last few posts but then CCH Pounder gets mentioned.

Reactions: SFH

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Out of the box, won't ever happen suggestion that I think would be an awesome Jeopardy! host; Rachel Maddow.

Reactions: SFH

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Guys, y'all are thinking too streamlined about this. With the great Alex Trebek no longer a part of this world, we need to open up Jeopardy to a newer, hipper audience.

Jeopardy needs Cardi B.