Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Jimi Hendrix has been dead for 50 years

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Today is 50th Anniversary of Jimi Hendrix's death.

I think more than any rock star, Lennon, Kurt Cobain, whoever, I wish I could've seen how Jimi Hendrix's played out. There was so much more music left. Imagine what his output would've been in the '70s, '80s, and '90s. My goodness. He was like an alien from another planet. He didn't break the mold, he blew up the art museum. RIP!

(And pick up your puppy)

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah it would've been fascination to see how he adapts to the changing musical scene in the mid to late 70's and beyond. Does Jimi go more towards metal or does the drug use get worse and he releases a Disco album? Jimi appearing on Woodstock 99 doing the national anthem with Jonathan Davis and Fred Durst? Does Jimi follow Aerosmith and pair up with some rappers to make a classic song? Do we get Grunge or Nu Wave Hendrix? And on and on.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wish we lived in an alternate reality where I defend Hendrix's Phil Collins produced '80s power ballad as unironically good.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I could see Jimi experimenting with some heavier guitar sounds and moving towards funk metal/progressive metal a little bit. With that said, I'm more of the mind that his drug addiction would've eventually spiraled and he still would've been dead by 1978 or so.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He was too brilliant for the world, you're right.

It's astounding how much he improved in a short amount of time. He would never make a greatest vocalists of all time list but I really liked his phrasing and delivery.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Genuinely loved the parts of my History of Rock and Roll class where my otherwise rigid professor played us Hendrix and talked about the intricacies and nuances of how and why his work is so beloved.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Hendrix lasting long enough would've been so interesting. Probably works Altamont. Maybe makes a misguided disco and/or punk-themed album people will love in 2015. Probably hook up with guys like Bowie, or maybe Zappa. Get into a feud with David Byrne that everyone would swear was an urban legend years later. Big comeback, stealing Rick James' thunder. Die before his last album comes out, leaving everyone to have this discussion but with different years. 100% guaranteed to have at least two Classic Rock Songs That Fucking Suck during his life. Will Smith plays him in an early 2000s bio instead of being in Ali.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Hendrix lived into the '80s, there definitely would have been a collaboration and/or rivalry with Prince that would've reinvigorated his career ala Bowie's Let's Dance.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
jesus christ jonathan davis and jimi.

a true GOAT, and I agree that he had the most to give compared to any other artist that died young. Pretty much everyone who ever picked up an electric guitar after 1967 was influenced by him. Who else can say that?

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
He and Prince would've gotten along, I think. Hendrix would absolutely have gotten into producing and he and Prince would click. Best tour you could want. Thinking about it, he would've gelled crazy well with the Revolution.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thinking about it more just now. It's a massive bummer Hendrix missed psychedelic soul/funk. Would have been cool to see how he'd interact with Parliament/Funkadelic and the early '70s Isley Brothers.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
If Hendrix made it to old age then we probably would exclusively be doing collaborative albums with the likes of Eric Clapton and Sting.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jimi doing songs with 311 and Sublime
Love that Bradley Nowell (and presumably a 30 year old Lou Dog) get to live in this alternate timeline.

Unless it's Jimi Hendrix collaborating with Sublime with Rome, in which case. FUCK that alternate timeline!

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think he'd have probably found a different way to die, there was just that vibe about him. That said if he lived than his tour with the Grateful Dead would have resulted in more overdoses than any concert in history and he'd have his own Legal Marijuana company now.