Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Late Night Talk Show Discussion

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lopez Tonight cancelled.

An ignominious ending for our generation's Arsenio Hall. I suppose BUTT will come into the thread to yell at us for being hypocrites for bitching about Leno pushing Conan out of The Tonight Show only for Conan to turn around and do the same thing to George Lopez on TBS. Though I suppose not since does any white person really care that much about George Lopez?

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Conan Blows

Conan is a backstabber and I can no longer watch anything he's apart of.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan Blows

conando.jpg

Only enough room for one Mexican in TBS late night.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan Blows

Yeah, I mean the TBS move isn't looking too great right now. It would have been a lot for him to get the Fox Network affiliates on board since Seinfeld reruns aren't that much less of a draw and are 10,000x cheaper but maybe FX or even a premium cable network were a better fit. Even I haven't watched that much of his TBS show.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Conan Blows

still fly said:
Man Conan ratings have tanked.
Also, I find his TBS show to be less funny. Sure, there's some amusing moments, but compared to the past, it feels watered down.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan Blows

yeah have to admit the TBS show has been disappointing. The bits have really felt flat. Especially the audience participation ones I still love the banter between Conan and Andy

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan Blows

I feel like the interviews are better than the Tonight Show era (except those epic last two weeks) but everything else is meh. Fan Corrections are alright. Anytime he does a bit in the audience it's awful. I feel like he's running the show that NBC wanted him to do in the first place. Less wackiness like the wax figures stuff...more bland crap that Leno would do.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Conan Blows

Conan belongs in New York. He's an East Coast guy with East Coast humour. His show has never felt right with the California audience.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan Blows

I miss the just plain weird characters from the late night era. Conan and the staff's love of esoteric humor is what led to bits like this you'd never see on any other show:

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiSEksLXYT8[/flash]

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILJysCBV5hs&feature=related[/flash]

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan Blows

the loss of Robert Smigel has to be another reason for the blandness. Smigel would not move to LA

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan Blows

a rapper in a wheelchair said:
Bear Hugger213 said:
I loved the movie, but can it work for TV?

A TV show about a sly, fast-talking lawyer who plays by his own rules? We are truly in uncharted waters here.
I really felt like I was watching an extended episode of Law and Order without the usual actors.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Conan Blows

Conan sucks and its unfortunate. I've probably spent more hours of my life watching Conan O'Brien on TV than any other (non-sports) show, but the TBS show is just a step above un-watchable.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Conan Blows

I like the show, but when I first got my DVR in 2008, "Late Night" was always must watch the day of recording while I'd let other talk shows sit up to a week (after a week I just deleted them figuring they were just piling up). Conan's "Tonight Show" was usually an immediate watch but fell victim to backlog. "Conan" quickly became a "watch all 4 episodes on Friday" show with me.

There's a lot right with the show (the visual package for the show's intro is very good, and I enjoy the creative changes they make to it from time to time), but off the top of my head I couldn't even tell you a funny recurring bit outside of Fan Corrections (the slam dunk mascots, I guess).

I did enjoy seeing the return of the guy riding his kayak to doom recently. Guess that bit wasn't intellectual property of NBC.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Conan Blows

The Happy Days intro they did last week (I think) was pretty cool.

I was excited for the TBS show since I thought his Tonight Show was pretty lame (aside from the drama the last 2 weeks or so) and most seemed to think that the new show would have a more Late Night vibe to it. I think I DVRed and watched it for a few weeks and realized it was just as lame as the Tonight Show was and would only catch it if there was a guest I wanted to see or if I was still awake after Colbert ended and would see the first few minutes.

It's a little upsetting, since Late Night was always a must-watch show for me. I went to work on way too little sleep way too many times and would always record it when I worked nights and would usually watch it shortly after I got home.

Late Night started going downhill about a year before he went to LA and he hasn't been the same since, aside from a few week span when he was losing his job.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan Blows

The two periods in recent memory where he really shined were during the writer's strike and those 2 weeks when he was on his way out and the material was easy and personal. So probably his writers suck.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Conan Blows

Yeah, it was right after the writer's strike when he started prepping himself for the Tonight Show and I stopped liking it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan Blows

Some mod must have really had fun attributing a Conan Blows thread to me. :)

And to the surprise of absolutely no one, George Lopez made a lot of "They fired me because I'm Latino!" jokes tonight.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan Blows

Was his show tonight awesome like Conan's last two weeks at the Tonight Show?

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Conan Blows

At one point I was an absolutly huge Conan fan. His run of shows from 96-99 ranks up there with Letterman from 87-92 in terms of all time great talk shows.

Andy's sister stacy, the man with bullett proof legs, his slide shows, where in the building is Andy Richter, "the more you know" NBC skits, Carl "oldie" Olsen, and tons more. It was just great stuff. Honestly, I felt the show hasn't been the same since Andy left the first time.

Lopez just sucks, always has, always will.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan Blows

Lopez is also a tremendous dick for cheating on his wife that donated one of her kidneys to him with hookers. I mean even Leno and Letterman probably wouldn't stoop to that shit.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan Blows

His run of shows from 96-99 ranks up there with Letterman from 87-92 in terms of all time great talk shows.

Letterman from 87-92 is the best ever IMO. It's amazing how the show took off once Dave broke up with Merrill Markoe and she was removed as head writer. Don't get me wrong she was great and created some all time great bits (Viewer mail ,pet tricks) but the difference is noticeable

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan Blows

Lopez Tonight's last episode has featured a where are they now segment with Arsenio Hall, Derek Fisher salsa dancing with Eva Longoria, and Ron Artest doing stand up. It's truly the TSM DAWG SQUAD'S ideal late night talk show. Too bad they're busy watching the Raiders.