Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Mad Men Rewatch Thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Didn't feel like stealing @909 's bit and doing a rewatch thread but genuinely surprised to see we didn't have a thread. Seems like Inc and Byron would have been into it.

Watching this in full for the first time and I just finished Season Four and man, if this isn't up there with The Wire and Breaking Bad for my favorite dramatic TV series of all time, it's certainly a strong 3rd. I don't know if any show does shades of gray better. Plus a lot of great, subtle little comedy moments.

Discuss the AMC period classic ITT.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Search functions are hard

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's pretty good. I watched the first season during my senior year of college but never got around to finishing it cause I dumbly assumed it was kind of boring. There may be better shows but I don't know if there's anything that's more emotionally resonant.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Search functions are hard

Looking back at this thread, I seem to have paid a lot more attention to this show than I remember, considering that I was only actually watching it for one reason... Or two, depending on your point of view.

I'll just say this, and let you guys get back to it: this show premiered in, what, 2007? If you had told me, in 2009, that the breakout star of this series would be Elizabeth Moss, I would have laughed at you, until I started having chest pain.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Multiple peers and family have recommended this show to me. I've never watched it but it apparently has many performers I already like.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you had told me, in 2009, that the breakout star of this series would be Elizabeth Moss, I would have laughed at you, until I started having chest pain.

Observation from being roughly about halfway through.

It seemed like they were angling for January Jones to be the breakout star but her character/performance peaked early (again though I still have three seasons left) and Moss’ picked up steam.

As great as of a character Don Draper is, it is such a defining role that I imagine it has been impossible for Jon Hamm to figure out how to follow it up. Walter White was similarly iconic but at least Bryan Cranston was moderately famous before Breaking Bad so people can just think “OK. He’s LBJ now.” But I feel like Jon Hamm IS Don Draper
/Dick Whitman
forever.

And I feel Elisabeth Moss is perfect star for streaming era. Compact, understated, relatable.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As great as of a character Don Draper is, it is such a defining role that I imagine it has been impossible for Jon Hamm to figure out how to follow it up. Walter White was similarly iconic but at least Bryan Cranston was moderately famous before Breaking Bad so people can just think “OK. He’s LBJ now.” But I feel like Jon Hamm IS Don Draper
/Dick Whitman
forever.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When exactly did Harry Crane go from somewhat dorky, mopey pushover to conceited guy that everybody hates? When he got to run his own department? For a show with such great character development, it seems like everyone at the ad agency suddenly was like "MAN, FUCK THAT GUY! HE'S AN ASS (even by this show's standards!"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My aging ass is going to continue talking about Mad Men instead of creating a Kenan thread and Idc what any of you think.

Just finished Season 6. Might be one of my favorite seasons of the show so far. Love Pete's slowly subtly turning into kind of a tweener. Him yelling "NOT GREAT, BOB!" after Bob Benson asked him how he was doing after his mother got thrown off the boat might have been comic highlight of the series.

That final scene with Don finally coming to terms with his horrible past. I wanted to stand in my living room and applaud.