Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MDK Gang's All Here: 2022 and on GCW Thread

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Aye. There's plenty of reasons to dog on GCW for being a shindy that happens to have an audience, but "fans that stand on the other side of the guardrail" ain't one of them.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mox just looked even more miserable than normal making his way through that crowd but maybe I'm just being harsh.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Mox just looked even more miserable than normal making his way through that crowd but maybe I'm just being harsh.
I think it was more annoyed at the guy asking him to share his White Claw more than anything. He was great during the match, and had so much fun with it, even having a near make out session with Effy (who wouldn't want to?)

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I've seen their crowds, might gotta narrow it down.

• Haha
Reactions: Laz

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I've been in their crowds, and that could certainly explain it (as an aside, I always put on extra deodorant before I leave for any wrestling show I go to so I'm not that person).

Valeyard

Reaction score
For me their crowd is genuinely offputting. It's hard to explain without sounding like a dickhead, even though I think the more dickheaded reasoning is kinda sound, but I guess it fits a stereotype of fan (not just wrestling fan, for the record) that I do not care for. They're grimy, a little full of themselves, have a weird sense of elitism because of the product they're involved in, and come across as unwelcoming to newer fans. The unwashed wrasslin' hipsters of the Twitter age. But no I don't blame the fans for GCW's HUGE problems from a product standpoint (like what you want, it really doesn't bother me even if I give it shit), although they of course have their role to play.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Every promotion has their superfans. WWF had Vlad. ECW had the Hawaiian shirt guys. GCW has piss jug Mike. They're all really the same unless you think about it too much. Then you realize they're not really the same at all.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For me their crowd is genuinely offputting. It's hard to explain without sounding like a dickhead, even though I think the more dickheaded reasoning is kinda sound, but I guess it fits a stereotype of fan (not just wrestling fan, for the record) that I do not care for. They're grimy, a little full of themselves, have a weird sense of elitism because of the product they're involved in, and come across as unwelcoming to newer fans. The unwashed wrasslin' hipsters of the Twitter age. But no I don't blame the fans for GCW's HUGE problems from a product standpoint (like what you want, it really doesn't bother me even if I give it shit), although they of course have their role to play.
This type of thinking stops you from experiencing the true intent of the promotion. GCW is meant to be seen live and experienced with that crowd.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Obviously "See it live" is a big selling point for GCW cause their production is very crappy for a promotion of their level and they insist on keeping KG in the announce booth.

Laz

Reaction score
This type of thinking stops you from experiencing the true intent of the promotion. GCW is meant to be seen live and experienced with that crowd.
Ah, so it's like a GG Allin concert with even uglier people

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I went to a GCW show in 2018 and crowd seemed fine? I don't remember it being particularly smelly or loud mouthed and annoying. It seems like they've gotten more rowdy and annoying since the pandemic though and it may have been because it was one of the Joey Janela Lost in NYC shows. It felt a tamer (and less smelly) version of a Beyond show.

Oddly, the most aggro and annoying the wrestling crowd I've been in was a ROH/NJPW supershow in 2017/18. Although that may have been more based on being in Lowell than anything ROH/NJPW did ("Ay"- @Laz probably)

Reactions: Laz

Valeyard

Reaction score
I mean the line of thought where "you have to want to see it with that crowd" when the crowd just presents horribly is not a good selling point. If guys lke Bookcase McGinty or Cockvein Wainright or whoever works there worth seeing, it shouldn't matter where they're seen.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There is a difference seeing a band you like at a big arena show and in a smaller more personal venue. The atmosphere of the GCW shows live is part of the appeal. If that’s something you just refuse to believe, then there is nothing I can say to change your mind.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that the crowd atmosphere is part of the appeal for people who like it. I also believe that it part of what repels people for those who dislike it. Two things can be true.

Laz

Reaction score
I believe that the crowd atmosphere is part of the appeal for people who like it. I also believe that it part of what repels people for those who dislike it. Two things can be true.
The horrible wrestling is what repels me, personally, but not having to sit near Piss Jug Mike is a fringe benefit.

Valeyard

Reaction score
There is a difference seeing a band you like at a big arena show and in a smaller more personal venue. The atmosphere of the GCW shows live is part of the appeal. If that’s something you just refuse to believe, then there is nothing I can say to change your mind.
No I believe it. It just speaks very poorly of the atmosphere.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Can someone explain Jimmy Lloyd to me? He seems like the heavy metal death match version of Grado.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jimmy Lloyd isn't nearly as charismatic as Grado.

His gimmick is it's funny that he's a death match wrestler cause he used to be a child star but he doesn't really do much comedy stuff afaik.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I heard a reference to him being a child star tonight and was very confused