Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MDK Gang's All Here: 2022 and on GCW Thread

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
So, the fines for the Hammerstein show are out, and it's better than I expected them to be. Brett was fined a total of $4000. $1000 for advertising Nick Wayne (who's under 18), $1000 for accidental blood during the Cardona match, and $2000 for drinking in the ring after the show.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Nice rebounding for GCW with the LA show, I'll certainly be checking it out.

I have to ask now that all is said and done, was it really worth it for GCW to run Hammerstein? Sure they made a profit, but the long term effects of it can't be much in terms of company growth. What ridiculous fines, and the company really wasnt able to showcase their bread and butter (ie blood and guts) and I can't imagine it got more fans to follow the product now if they saw that show. But perhaps they solidified their position in pro wrestling a bit by the output in terms of a similar ECW vibe, that certainly came across well with the show. Ultimately though, they shouldn't try to be something they aren't (a standard promotion with guys like Jarrett going over in a bland match really stood out as not GCW, it didn't resonate like Cardona's outsider persona does) and they shouldn't try to do a show in a place where their proverbial hands were tied so much. But they did it, now I think they can move on and try a better location like Philly or something for their next showcase event.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Honestly, I feel like it'd have been better (and probably less expensive) if they ran their first PPV in a 5-10k seat arena in New Jersey or Pennsylvania. But it doesn't have the cultural cache that a Hammerstein show RIGHT IN THE HEART OF MANHATTAN (where ECW and ROH ran) has.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, running at the Sovereign Bank Arena in Trenton, NJ wouldn't warrant as much attention or a SK Rant. That's why Brett runs a wrestling promotion and I'm here imagining @BruiserBrody make sounds his body isn't capable of making.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I kinda feel like there should be an attempt to maybe rehash some of the things from Hammerstein that didn't go well. Will they blow off this stuff with Jarrett properly with Effy going over? Perhaps a rematch with Gage/Tremont vs Briscoes where they actually get to work a full match? Homicide/Moxley doesn't need a redo, but I am a bit at a loss at what's next for the world title scene. Allie Katch needs a proper direction now too after that underwhelming thing with Ruby Soho.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At least, Brett seems self aware that the Hammerstein show was at best, a weak, bloop single and not the grand slam that everyone wanted (and some hardcore stans are still pretending) it to be. I feel like getting to this level is a huge accomplishment in and of itself but staying there is the really hard part. Especially with so many promotions (some with much deeper pockets) jockeying for that #3 spot not to mention WWE & AEW looming.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Very true, I guess beyond the connecting to perhaps more oldschool fans who resonate with the product if they loved ECW back in the day, I think the show may have solidified them more in the mainstream wrestling circles more, and I would venture to bet they may see increases in attendance in various locations, to the point where they have to move into larger venues. It's a weird position right now as I can feel and see the momentum they are having, but I think they may need to shift some things at it's core to really stand out and succeed fully. I guess it depends if they want to stay kinda niche or if they truly want to be that number three promotion. To do that, you have to really creatively push harder and break out among the rest of the viable number threes (Impact, etc) in that aspect.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, they're definitely in the tweener stage of having grown in popularity but still running kind of dumpy venues. Like I'd have hoped they'd have outgrown the Ukranian Cultural Center by now for their LA venue but I kind of doubt that there are a lot of 1k to 3k seat venues in LA that are amenable to hosting death match wrestling. @909 ?

(Yeah. I'm aware that GCW hasn't been a "death match promotion" for years but it still has that aura/perception to casual/non fans. Useless Moron Scott Keith's dumbass was confused why there were no death matches at THE WRLD.)

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, they're definitely in the tweener stage of having grown in popularity but still running kind of dumpy venues. Like I'd have hoped they'd have outgrown the Ukranian Cultural Center by now for their LA venue but I kind of doubt that there are a lot of 1k to 3k seat venues in LA that are amenable to hosting death match wrestling. @909 ?

(Yeah. I'm aware that GCW hasn't been a "death match promotion" for years but it still has that aura/perception to casual/non fans. Useless Moron Scott Keith's dumbass was confused why there were no death matches at THE WRLD.)

There probably are but the UCC is in a great location. It's right next to the 101, so people can easily get there from any direction in LA without getting lost. There's also a red line stop for the very few people who take public transportation.

Staff member
Reaction score
I also badly want to go to this but my mom is getting dementia and I really can't leave for that long on a weekday. I dunno how much shit like this I'm gonna miss but it fucking sucks.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tickets go onsale next week.
20220218_003200.jpg

I really wish they'd give For The Culture a primetime slot.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
GCW is teasing Blake Christian Vs Johnny Gargano.

I didn’t even really think of GCW as a potential destination for Gargano.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
He probably sees it a a fun thing to do that won't put him on the WWE shitlist (ie signing with AEW).

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Even fucking XPW had fire extinguishers at the ready, guys. Come the fuck on.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The man is really committed to proving everyone right about thinking he’s a god damn idiot.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Last time I saw WWE do a fire spot they telegraphed it by lining the aisle with guys with fire extinguishers. It’s dangerous and you really need to know what you’re doing.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
The spot itself doesn't bother me (I've seen worse spots on the indies involving fire). It's the lack of safety that could ruin someone's career and possibly life. It's really crazy that a company that is looking to gain more footing can not think to have a fire extinguisher for something like this.