Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Miscellaneous NCAA Sports thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not enough interest to justify a college hockey thread but I think maybe enough to generate a general college sports thread might be justified. So for anything except football and basketball, here is your thread.

I mostly just am afraid I will get yelled at for posting this this in the NHL thread. For the first time in the 71 year history of the Beanpot Classic, they’re going to have a Harvard-Northeastern Final. Every other tournament has ended with either Boston College or Boston University (or both) in the finals.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not enough interest to justify a college hockey thread but I think maybe enough to generate a general college sports thread might be justified. So for anything except football and basketball, here is your thread.

I mostly just am afraid I will get yelled at for posting this this in the NHL thread. For the first time in the 71 year history of the Beanpot Classic, they’re going to have a Harvard-Northeastern Final. Every other tournament has ended with either Boston College or Boston University (or both) in the finals.
I read it was the first time in 70 years myself /semantics

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Professional athletes have a ton of incentive not in engage in suspicious activity. Amateurs? Seems like a system ripe for exploitation.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Huge news IMO...

"The $2.8 billion settlement in the House v. NCAA case, a landmark legal battle, has far-reaching implications anchored by revenue sharing and the expansion of roster sizes, which might also spark more legal battles with Title IX implications. In the immediate future, the legal settlement is transformative for players because not only will past athletes be compensated for prior restrictions on earning from their name, image, and likeness via the $2.8 billion settlement, but the agreement sets the stage for a future revenue-sharing model, a first in the NCAA's long history, benefiting thousands of collegiate athletes starting as soon as Fall 2025."

"The NCAA agreed to pay the past damages over the next 10 years ($277 million annually) and will fund the payments by cutting into its revenue shares with Division I schools. Had the case gone to trial in January 2025, the NCAA and its power conferences risked being on the hook for more than $4.2 billion because of a triple multiplier tied to antitrust law. Even worse, had a settlement not been reached, the parties risked $20 billion in back damages tied to several antitrust lawsuits that could have forced them into bankruptcy, according to documents circulated last week among conference presidents."