Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Regular Season 2021

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Mets have been doing it with smoke and mirrors basically all season. Looks to be finally catching up to them. Nats will be only 2 back after tonight. Impossible to win consistently with such a poorly performing offense

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
The Red Sox have three stars in their lineup. J.D. Martinez, Xavier Bogaerts and Rafael Devers. Bogaerts is in his prime, Devers is entering his prime. It's a strong core. The pitching staff looked thin going in but so far they've only needed two starts outside their set rotation.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And Chris Sale will be back in approximately a month. New England sports media might have hit the panic button too early.

(what's new reacts only)

alkeiper

Reaction score
MLB placed Bauer on administrative leave. I can’t imagine Bauer taking the mound in an opposing team’s ballpark could’ve gone well.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I don't see how MLB can let Bauer pitch again even if he somehow weasels out of jail time. The Dodgers are most assuredly going to be playing tons of meaningful playoff games this October. Can you imagine the shit storm that would be Bauer being the starter for those games?

Even if he escapes charges is there anyway MLB could still ban him?

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Dodgers cut ties with Chapman due to what was alleged he did, despite their being no police report or charges filed. Dodgers just gonna keep being hypocritical in what they say/do

Staff member
Reaction score
A. Bauer hasn't played for the team since the allegation.

B. Chapman was never on their team.

C. MLB told the Dodgers to proceed as normal. They should never have said that.

D. It's MLB's job to step in and do something. They finally did but they should never have told one of their teams not to do something with a situation like this.

E. The Dodgers are talking about whether or not two guys can go into the rotation and perform. They're planning for this guy not to pitch for them again.

Anyway, there are limitations to the things a public figure could say about the subject and not get sued for everything they have. I think everyone should understand that by now and not look for someone to blame. There's only one guy to blame for what they did. It's Trevor Bauer. MLB is always trying to pass the buck for their inaction onto other people and people always fall for it. Maybe if he rubbed sunscreen on her it wouldn't have taken so long for MLB to stop it. There isn't a more poorly run league on the planet.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, Chapman was on the Yankees, not the Dodgers, and The Cubs should be getting shit for not giving a fuck and trading for him. But, it's a hard thing to talk about and I think any other team in the Cubs position where they needed a closer to push them to the Championship level would've made the same trade.

As for Bauer, I think he's done. There's just too much there for him to to just play again as normal. I could be wrong, but that's the way I see it right now. And even beyond these horrific acts, Bauer has been a headache for years. He's a massive Trump supporter and has tweeted a bunch of racist and homophobic things. This guy needs to go away. I couldn't stand him before this and now I hate his guts completely. It's absolutely horrific.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
7 day paid administrative lead. After his long career as a star baseball player ends, he can move into policing.

alkeiper

Reaction score
7 day paid administrative lead. After his long career as a star baseball player ends, he can move into policing.
This is a preliminary step. If nothing more comes of it sure, bash MLB. But this is just a stopgap while they figure out what really to do.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember Addison Russell's punishment waaaaay back 2 years ago. I'm not into making excuses for folks who've been, imo, just plain trash.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Dodgers signing Bauer always seemed weird to me. Just seemed like a headache that they didn't need to worry about coming up after winning the World Series. A bit like the Astros trading for Roberto Osuna a few years ago.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"The Reds weren’t going to be in contention, so cashing in on a huge trade chip made a lot of sense. They struck a deal with the Dodgers during the Winter Meetings for what seemed to be a very light return for the Reds … and then the deal fell apart. Why? The Dodgers caught wind of an alleged domestic violence incident involving Chapman and his girlfriend that had taken place a little over a month prior."

Yeah, so the Dodgers can decide to ultimately nix a trade for someone over allegations of domestic violence, but if he's already on the team? It's all good, yeah?

Staff member
Reaction score
The guy hasn't played for them at all since the allegation, so what are you talking about? Considering you cheer for a team that sent Osuna out there to play for them 93 times after everyone knew what happened, you have basically no ground to stand on or to pass judgment.

Everyone here doesn't want the guy on the team anymore.

Last edited:

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The guy hasn't played for them at all since the allegation, so what are you talking about? Considering you cheer for a team that sent Osuna out there to play for them 93 times after everyone knew what happened, you have basically no ground to stand on or to pass judgment.

Everyone here doesn't want the guy on the team anymore.
You still root for the Dodgers despite Bauer being on the team, yeah? If he isn't removed from them, are you going to stop rooting for the Dodgers?

I wasn't a fan of the Osuna trade and in everything that's transpired in the past years with the Astros, that's what I'm most angry/appaled/upset about.

MLB put Bauer's ass on suspension, not the Dodgers. So until they make that call, I'll continue to look at them being hypocritical in how they manage things.

Staff member
Reaction score
You still root for the Dodgers despite Bauer being on the team, yeah? If he isn't removed from them, are you going to stop rooting for the Dodgers?

I wasn't a fan of the Osuna trade and in everything that's transpired in the past years with the Astros, that's what I'm most angry/appaled/upset about.

MLB put Bauer's ass on suspension, not the Dodgers. So until they make that call, I'll continue to look at them being hypocritical in how they manage things.

He's not on the team right now anyway. The team can't actually suspend him. They can eat his whole 100 million dollar contract and keep paying him regardless, but that's about it. I'm also reasonably certain they can't kick him out of the clubhouse without DFA'ing him.

I think we should wait and see what happens after the break when he's allowed to return. He should not return period. But that's what MLB is supposed to make sure happens so that the teams have protection from legal problems or from the MLBPA.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Having gone through this with Odubel Herrera, here’s how it shakes out. It’s up to MLB to discipline Bauer. After Bauer serves his suspension the team can not cut the player for non-baseball reasons. A lot of this whole process is simply going to be out of the Dodgers’ hands.

alkeiper

Reaction score
The Arizona Diamondbacks have lost 17 straight games. 31 out of 33. And 40 out of 45.

If they didn't get off to a decent start they probably would have had a shot at breaking the 62 Mets record
This is a bit older but Baseball-Reference just added the tool. The Diamondbacks and 1916 A’s are indeed the only team to run a 5-40 or worse stretch during a season. The A’s did as bad as 3-42 during their season.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He probably won't make it but Taijuan Walker deserves an all star selection

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd just like to note that @909 has done a good job of making his personal opinion known (and it's the right one) without making excuses for his team or MLB. And I totally get @Broward83 's takes on it too. These things aren't easy and there's always emotion involved. But, imo, it is always for the best to broadcast a right take and it is never worthwhile to go anywhere near excuse making. I will take emotional indignation over looking for legal loopholes or whatever a million times out of a million times.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I will take emotional indignation over looking for legal loopholes or whatever a million times out of a million times.
I would offer my take on the Trevor Bauer situation but I made a 10 year non disclosure agreement with the Montgomery County DA. Sorry folks.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Freddy Peralta didn't make the all star team because of course he didn't.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kimbrel deserves it for the Cubs. He's been incredible all year and hopefully will bring back some decent prospect when he's traded in a few weeks. Bryant's June was so horrific that I would be fine if he wouldn't of made the game. But, he was a legit MVP candidate in the first two months, so I can't complain about him making it.

Cubs season is hopeless now, so I'm excited to see how far the losing streak can go. Maybe they can top the losing streak of 14 that opened the 1997 season.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jacob deGrom has already announced he will not participate in the ASG so the Mets will zero representatives this year

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Yankees finally realized Chad Green is their best reliever