Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Regular Season 2021

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
It makes me angry. All the times I've argued over the years about players being clubhouse cancers or not hustling or whatever. These guys are created a situation worse than that. Two factions of the clubhouse with one taking a stand that could render them ineligible to play at a crucial moment in the season. How can you support a team like that?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know article mentioned potential issues with Players' Unions as the reason why MLB (and none of the other leagues) haven't adopted mandatory vaccinations but frig if a standoff is had, MLB (for once) wouldn't come across as the dicks in the situation.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
It makes me angry. All the times I've argued over the years about players being clubhouse cancers or not hustling or whatever. These guys are created a situation worse than that. Two factions of the clubhouse with one taking a stand that could render them ineligible to play at a crucial moment in the season. How can you support a team like that?
Not only does it put Philadelphia (or NY or whatever other teams also with a faction that is anti-Covid vaccines) but it also puts their opponents in a bind by forcing them to play fewer games and forces issues with MLB in how they have to handle scheduling, possible exposure across multiple teams, etc.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty big deal: Rays acquired DH Nelson Cruz and RHP Calvin Faucher from the Twins in exchange for RHP Joe Ryan and RHP Drew Strotman.

Cruz continues to be a HR monster at the plate and is just 14 HR away from 450 for his career and 11 HR away from 30 on the season.

Probably a borderline HOFer but topping 1,000 Runs, 450 HR (a good possibility), and 1,200+ RBI for his career is still pretty damn impressive.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Cleveland Indians are gonna be changing their team nickname to the Cleveland Guardians

alkeiper

Reaction score
Cruz’s career OPS+ is 134, the same as Fred McGriff. McGriff (has so far) missed the Hall with 493 home runs. Cruz is probably in the same boat.

The Guardians sounds a little strange, but it probably feels completely normal in a year or two.

alkeiper

Reaction score
The Texas Rangers are riding an 11 game losing streak. On July 10 they took a 2-0 lead in the first inning but coughed up two in the second, eventually losing to the Oakland A’s. That 2-0 lead was the last lead they’ve held since. Two weeks, 11 losses, 99 innings and counting without being ahead in a game.

(it’s 0-0 in the 5th as of this writing)

Edit: And JUST after I write that Eli White hits a home run. 1-0 Rangers in the fifth.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Red Sox were no hit through the first 7 innings then came back to beat the Yankees 5-4.

Yankees and Mets seem to be in a tight race over who can disappoint their fanbases more. Ya love to see it as a Sox fan.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yankees and Mets seem to be in a tight race over who can disappoint their fanbases more. Ya love to see it as a Sox fan.

Honest question: do Red Sox fans actually hate the Mets, besides those who may still have hard feelings over 86? Even if this is just Boston hates all things NY, I still assumed that 99.9% of that vitriol got directed at the Yankees, alone, leaving indifference toward the Mets.

Anyway, the Mets aren't nearly the disappointment you seem to think they are. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't waiting for disaster to strike, and they are taking advantage of a bad division this year, but sitting in first place for 2-3 months with the amount of injuries and stretches of inept offense they've dealt with? I'll take it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Red Sox Nation’s feelings towards Mets fanbase alternates between polite indifference and playful dislike. ‘86 WS aside, there is no legitimate animosity.

maybe the most fun non ‘04 MLB game I went to was a Red Sox-Mets game about ten years ago. Just a lot of fun ribbing and bonding over shared hatred of the Yankees.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Milwaukee lost last night but won the series with the White Sox. They have a 6.5 game lead over second place Cincy. But there's still plenty to be nervous about. Consistent hitting still isn't happening and the bullpen has been depleted by a couple trades already this year. Both trades were good but came at a cost. And, of course, they've had a lot of injury problems, like many other teams.

Twins reportedly want a pre-arb MLB player and 2 top 100 prospects for Berrios. Tyrone Taylor is a major league centerfielder whose first arbitration year is 2024. Brice Turang is the Brewers' #2 prospect and a top 100 overall. Ashby is Milwaukee's top pitching prospect; he's not top 100 overall but will be ready to take a major league rotation spot by next year. Add another prospect if necessary.

And I wouldn't mind if they try to get crazy Joe Gallo. Keston Hiura might be better as a DH. Send him, Ethan Small (team's second best pitching prospect and the other being setup for rotation work under the Burnes/Woodruff plan), and a couple other prospects.

Edit: That's a lot to give up but both players would still be in Milwaukee at least for 2022. Adding Berrios will free Hauser or Lauer (and by Sept, both) to move into the bullpen and strengthen that back up as well.

Last edited:

alkeiper

Reaction score
The Brewers almost certainly have their best ever starting rotation this season. I'm surprised that their success has come without Christian Yelich playing at even close to All Star level.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Chris Sale has looked phenomenal in his rehab appearances in Portland so far. It'll be nice to have an ace in the Red Sox rotation for the home stretch. Getting 2013 vibes with this team.

1627324833936.png
(I shouldn't talk too much trash though since Angels won 2 out of 3 against Red Sox)

Last edited:

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They haven't made any trades yet but it's already been a weird day for Milwaukee. Lorenzo Cain is back after two months on the injury list. But Yelich is back out. Fully vaccinated but got a breakthrough case of covid. Jace Peterson also out due to contract tracing. And then the probable starter for Pittsburgh, Tyler Anderson, got traded to Philly about an hour ago, 3 hours before first pitch.

Edit: Anderson is still with the Pirates at the moment after the trade ran into problems.

Last edited:

Dandy

Reaction score
Tyler Anderson actually got traded again after that one fell through. Mariners traded for him.

Joey Votto has homered in four straight games, hitting two last night. He is dialed in.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Crazy!

And the Reds aren't out of it yet. New York just gave them a couple bullpen arms for, uh, reasons.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh man good luck with Justin Wilson. He'll go like 7-8 appearances where no one can touch him and then like give up 6 ER in a 1/3 inning like nothing. Probably the reason he's moved around so much. But still worth a shot.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think they had to take Wilson to get the other, better guy.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For the second time this season the Nats have had a covid outbreak on their team. Game with Phillies has been postponed

Dandy

Reaction score
Five straight games for Votto with a home run; six in five games. He is in rare company with that feat at age 37.

I could do a deep dive on his stats since certain points on time (since changing his stance and approach on 8/29/20 after being benched; since the first nine games of this season when he was hitting .172; since returning from the broken thumb this year), but what tou need to know is he is hitting with his highest exit velocity ever, and could conceivably finish near .300 on the year with an OPS approaching 1.000. Sounds like wishful projections from a diehard Reds fan? When Votto goes on a tear, he goes on a tear. Months of .400 hitting and he is like Marvel Comics’ The Juggernaut as his momentum just keeps building. Pitchers start walking him and pitching around him, driving up his OBP. Then he attacks the zone and gets hits in bunches. And that causes pitchers to pitch around him and walk him.

He is crushing it right now and looks like the Votto of 2015 - 2017.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He's trying to distract from Milwaukee trading for Escobar.