Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MMA General Discussion 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s being reported that Joanna Champion has informed the UFC she won’t be able to make weight this weekend for her main event fight against The Karate Hottie. Michelle Waterson is also refusing to fight at catch weight, and refusing fights with Dern and Ribas, who are also on the card. Angela Hill may end up replacing Waterson in the main event in a catchweight bout against Joanna.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel bad for Waterson. She should have every right to retain her place in the main event but Joanna is a bigger name and if Michelle drops out she's going to get re-booked against a lesser name. Dana will also likely shit talk Waterson as not wanting to fight.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Joanna weighed in at 115.5. Main event is on. Either this was something that got overblown or she killed herself to make the weight.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lord of The Curry said:
Joanna weighed in at 115.5. Main event is on. Either this was something that got overblown or she killed herself to make the weight.

Seeing rumors that this might have been put out by the UFC to try and get some interest in the card tonight. Don't know how much that helped since I was planning on watching for my girl JOANNA (and Mackenzie Butt) anyway.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was probably something that leaked out (her having a tough cut) and it got distorted like a game of "telephone" into Joanna's probably not gonna make it.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nico Price vs. James Vick was the best and worst fight I've seen in a long time. Two guys who look like a strong gut of wind can knock out ends with a vicious upkick KO.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kron Gracie is a gangsta. I really thought he'd try to take Cub down more but this has been hell of a slugfest.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
HSJ said:
Kron Gracie is a gangsta. I really thought he'd try to take Cub down more but this has been hell of a slugfest.

"Gangsta" = punching bag with no head movement.

He also said afterwards that he thought he for sure won the fight which is very on-brand for a guy that trains with the Diaz Brothers.

The Gifford/Davis fight was a borderline homicide. They ended up pulling the ref from a fight later in the evening for not stopping it and I'd say that the state athletic commission should go one step further and review whether or not the people who were in Gifford's corner should hold a license. One of the cornermen was his father which in a way explains why it wasn't stopped and at the same time makes it that much worse.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/27853748/california-state-athletic-commission-passes-rule-combat-extreme-weight-cutting

UFC isn't going to do anything on their end to discourage massive weight cuts so say goodbye to PPV's and big-name ESPN cards in California once this goes into effect.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/27846286/ufc-main-event-breakdown-reyes-needs-use-stand-advantage-weidman

I like some of these stat analyses, didn't realize Weidman's striking differential was that bad. I already had a feeling Reyes would win, but if he keeps it on the feet this could get ugly.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The card is p. trash but there are a few diamonds in the rough. Looking forward to Macy Barber/Gillian Robertson, both girls are very aggressive and finishers. Tanner Boser has been doing really well on the local scene in Canada for a while now and HW is always desperate for new blood so I hope he does well also.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Don't know this guy but looking at his record he's won 4 of his last 8 and was knocked out in six seconds by Tim Hague not long before that. Don't get your hopes up bro.

Barber is one of the most hyped prospects they've had in years. I hope she turns out to be the real deal. The co-main is also way more interesting now with what happened in Mexico.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Manny Bermudez missed weight for his featherweight debut, came in at 148, 20% of his purse goes to Charles Rosa. Bad, bad look for somebody who coming into the UFC had future champ hype around him. He missed weight at 135, had his last fight switched to a catch-weight because the California A.C thought he was cutting too much and now misses a weight class up.

Edit: He joins Rumble and John Linekar as the only UFC fighters to miss weight in multiple divisions.

Edit II: How the hell did I forget about Johny Hendricks.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Get out with your health, Chris. No need to keep this up.

And even if Greg Hardy isn’t smart enough to know he can’t use an inhaler in between rounds, his corner should have known that.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Weidman didn't pull off that sub against Kelvin, he would have lost 6 in a row. He was getting smashed against Kelvin too iirc. He probably needs to step away.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
He's given no indication he wants to retire, and his chin looked dusted, like worse than Anderson's did against him. I saw the replay and I was shocked at how those hammerfists just took away his consciousness.

The crazy thing to me is that he went from having an unreal chin and ability to absorb punishment, to getting dropped by a shot like that one. The Rockhold fight took away a lot of it, then Romero damn near buried it for good. I was surprised he still was able to stay awake after what Jacare did to him, but it's clear after last night that his chin is completely gone now.

Anderson's place atop the middleweight division hasn't been taken away. Defend that shit for seven years and get back to me, then he loses at 38 years old after 20+ years of combat, he wasn't even close to prime. chris didn't kill the legend ANDERSON IS THE MIDDLEWEIGHT GOAT

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is probably a hot take and either would get crushed, but I'd be willing to bet some money on old washed up Anderson or Machida landing a knockout shot in a rematch on this iteration of Chris Weidman.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I don't think that take is that hot, and Anderson is still in the UFC so it's time for him to retire by getting that win back. And you know Chris will be desperate enough to take the fight now with his recent luck.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Maia/Askren is happening soon. I would have picked prime Maia to tap him at some point in a five-round fight, I expect Askren to wrestlefuck him for 25 minutes today.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
wow, crazy amount of action in that first round, lots of active exchanges on the feet, in the clinch and the bit on the ground at the end was what we all wanted. Arguably the best round I watched all year. GO K1 MAIA

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
the snappy backfists from Askren will make some good gif's.

That striking is surprisingly really active, they have good defense but no power so even though they land it won't do much. The ground action at the end of the second though was amazing.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Demian Maia did this at 42, he's truly the best p4p mma grappler of all time. The Shields fight should have been a draw, and Shields was just doing the stalemate anyway. Look at their records against everyone else and Demian's is better.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Damn just realized he's got the second-most wins in UFC history. Thinking about the level of competition, the fact that he's done it through many different eras in two weight classes, doesn't have that many losses and was really green when he started, unreal. LEGEND

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Great win for Maia. I wanted Askren in the UFC for so long. And he’s just acted like a dick since getting there. So it’s pretty satisfying.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Man, if he didn't pull off that bulldog choke out of nowhere Askren would be 0-3 in his UFC start. I wonder where Maia falls on an all time MMA list. Maybe in the 50-60 range. He can't be higher cause he never won the big one. He's definitely one of the best fighters to never win a championship

I remember Michael Johnson being a fringe contender a few years ago, but now he's 3-7 in his last 10 fights and has a 19-15 record.

Status
Not open for further replies.