Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

My Great Big Movie Project

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've decided to watch all the movies I always meant to watch, the all time classics, awful-bad stuff, and recommended stuff. I've had some suggestions from people and have gone through some of the listings at RottenTomatoes. This is my list right now:

Strangers with Candy
Semi-pro
Stranger than fiction
Dawn Of The Dead (original) (or whatever was 1st one)
akira
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
raging bull
taxi driver
citizen kane
the usual suspects
white men can't jump
in the heat of the night
pan's labyrinth
labyrinth
dark crystal
jean claude van dam: the movie
goonies
iron giant
raising arizona
Purple Rain
12 angry men
underworld 3
Schindler's List
rain man
the deer hunter
The Last Emperor
Road to Perdition
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
White Heat
Dirty Harry
Bullitt
48 hrs.
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
North by Northwest
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Year of Living Dangerously
Deliverance
Face Off
Gunga Din
The Big Red One
Hot Fuzz
La Femme Nikita
Risky Business
A Fish Called Wanda
The Odd Couple (1968)
Sleeper
Bob Roberts
The Great Dictator
My Favorite Year
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Airplane!
Annie Hall
Broadcast News
A Night at the Opera
Duck Soup
This Is Spinal Tap
Withnail and I
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Stranger Than Paradise
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Freshman
stuff by ghibli films
weird al movie?
johnny guitar
mariachi trilogy
gremlins 2
eternal sunshine...
Being John Malkovich
there will be blood
eric the viking
Hitchcock movies
---------------

I won't repost my thoughts on the stuff I've watched already though I might if I get unlazy. Stuff I've watched since last updating:

Boogie Nights: Pretty good, I was expecting it to be more graphic than it was but I'm not complaining. The scene with Whalberg and Reilly arguing with the record guy was really funny to me for some reason.

Gran Torino: Awesome. Clint Eastwood scares the hell out of me.

Hannibal Rising: This sucked, the only movie I regret watching so far.

Life Of Brian: Very funny. I've seen odds and ends of Monty Python stuff but never a full show or movie.

Gandhi: It was pretty good but I didn't think it was great.

The Sting: Very good I loved the twists and turns.

Fight Club: Fucking awesome. I thought it was dudes fighting so I never felt an urgent need to see it. I was wrong because I loved this movie.

Mad Max Trilogy: The first was good but not great, the second was pretty awesome. I thought that aside from the Thunderdome and the chase at the end that the 3rd movie blew. She just lets him live? And a dumb happy ending for the kids.

Next up:
Heathers (Piss says it sucks but I've heard it's good and the plot sounds semi interesting)
To live and die in LA
Dark City
French Connection

Any recommendations are welcome

tonyjaymz03

Kinsey
Reaction score
Can we do recommendations? If you're really trying new things, try Charlie Chaplin's City Lights. It stands up as a fantastic film to this day, one of my desert island films.

Dark City is fantastic, you'll love it

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Strangers with Candy
If you like the show, you'll like the movie. It does do that Reno 911 thing where they re-use some of the jokes for the benefit of new fans, but it's not distracting.

White Heat
Brilliant.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
My all-time funniest movie. The stuff in the car is legendary. I find myself imitating scenes from that movie without even realising it.

weird al movie?
UHF? I loved that movie when I was a kid. Haven't seen it in years though. Michael Richards is in it too.

gremlins 2
I have both Gremlins on DVD and I watch this one way more. It mocks the original as opposed to imitates it. LOOK OUT FOR THE HULK HOGAN (wearing the winged eagle) GUEST SPOT.

Heathers (Piss says it sucks but I've heard it's good and the plot sounds semi interesting)
I'd love to hear what you thought about it. I've watched it so many times I can't even be objective. It's a meaner/darker version of Mean Girls. Winona Ryder is smoking hot here too. Shannen Doherty even looks good.

Not sure if you've seen Wet Hot American Summer but I would recommend it. Written/starring all the guys from The State.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Heathers: I dug it. Finally someone else who actually uses "greetings and salutations" as an actual greeting. Slater was really awesome in this and he had me cheering for him. I wanted more killing honestly.

To live and die in LA: I wasn't that impressed. Corrupt cops as the hero have been done better (The Shield). Dafoe was good though and the car chase was fun.

Dark City: Not as awesome as I was expecting due to the pimping from Roger Ebert, who I normally see as a good judge. It was still trippy and interesting. I watched the Director's Cut so I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

French Connection: Amazing chase scene, other than that I thought it was just OK.

Next Up:
Face Off
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Airplane!
White Heat

Added to my list:
On the Waterfront
All the President's Men
Badlands
Dog Day Afternoon
Henry V
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof