Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA in May 2021: LeBron James' run in with the law

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Also the Boston Celtics had the 2nd biggest comeback in NBA history last night, coming back from a 29 point halftime deficit and being down as much as 32 points against the San Antonio Spurs. Jayson Tatum tied Larry Bird's franchise scoring record with 60 points.The Celtics are GOOD again! (Based on this season's trajectory. I will make a "The Celtics are BAD" post in the next 3 to 5 days).

Discuss the final two weeks of the NBA regular season ITT.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I know he's not that popular here but Chris Paul deserves some more respect in the MVP discussion. I didn't list him in the thread last month, because I didn't realize just how well the Suns are doing. They have flown completely under the radar. This dude joined a team that missed the playoffs 10 straight years and as of last night they have the best record in the NBA. He has basically had the same impact as Steve Nash did when he came back. I don't expect him to beat out Jokic or Embiid, but he might be a solid #3 at this point.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
IMO, he should get some votes for Most Improved Player. Not that he wasn't still very good with the Rockets and Thunder (he made an All NBA Second Team last year!) but this has got to be his first elite season in 7 or 8 years.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm into this although I think they should have done it on Disney channel or something to get the younger demo. It would be a really good way to try and get younger fans into the sport.

Also watching the warriors game, First half "wow Steph is having a bad night not sure about this" *Steph scores 23 points in the third* "Nevermind"

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Bulls have officially been eliminated from postseason contention by the Hawks, who maintain their hold on the fifth seed in the eastern conference. The Bulls have two 2020-21 All-Stars. The Hawks have zero.

Update: I may have been in error about the Bulls being eliminated. I was regurgitating what I heard during the broadcast, and didn't bother fact-checking it.

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah the Bulls aren't out yet, but they will be eliminated within the next few days. It's really depressing to be a Bulls fan right now, so this sucks and they probably fucked up big trading the two picks for Vucevic. I still stand by being happy at the time with the trade. People don't realize how few moves GarPax made at the trade deadline, so the new front office trading for an all star was so exciting compared to the past. In the 17 years GarPax was the front office, the biggest win now move they made at the deadline was trading for John Salmons and Brad Miller.

The current front office deciding to go the whole season without a point guard ended up being a really bad decision. It was fun watching Thad Young play point guard for a while, but some of these young guys on the team desperately need someone feeding them the ball.

I still will probably get excited for next season with hopefully any semblance of a competent point guard and a defensive minded wing added to LaVine/Vucevic and Patrick Williams having a full training camp and another year to grow. Not getting to watch Lauri Markkanen anymore is a plus as well. I don't think LaVine/Vucevic have even really practiced together with LaVine missing a lot of games in the last month coupled with the unrelenting schedule. So with a full training camp, I can get excited to watch them play together.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I feel like it says something about Milwaukee that they have a statue dedicated to Arthur Fonzarelli, but not one dedicated to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He only played for them for six seasons so I can sort of see why he doesn't have a statue. He still is probably the GOAT Milwaukee Buck until/unless Giannis wins a ring.

Genuinely surprised to find out that only 13 players have statues outside the NBA arena.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Shout out to Disney and ESPN for lowkey spoiling Falcon and the Winter Soldier. But I thought this was fun, what I got to see of it. I was a fan of the presentation. They should have saved it for a weekend game, though, something they could have simulcast on Disney Channel.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i haven't watched falcon and winter soldier yet and i didn't feel like i got spoilered. I wasn't paying super close attention to what the announce team was saying though. The presentation was fun I agree and really agree they should have done this with Disney Channel.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
With the Knicks win last night, they have clinched a winning record. The other day with a Raptors loss, the Knicks clinched at least a play-in game, so they are in the playoffs, and are still sitting in 4th. They are 12-1 in their last 13. FUCK YES!

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
The Cavs signed Anderson Varejao for the rest of the season. He hasn’t played in the league since 2017, and from what I’ve gathered it’s basically a farewell present.

Carmelo Anthony is now 10th all-time in scoring, passing Elvin Hayes a couple nights ago.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
The Cavs signed Anderson Varejao for the rest of the season. He hasn’t played in the league since 2017, and from what I’ve gathered it’s basically a farewell present..
This was my immediate thought, when Hidden Dragons texted me about it, yesterday: more specifically than having last played in 2017, he last played for the Warriors. He probably wanted to retire as a Cavalier, and did the ten-day thing so that he could get a curtain call.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cavs should sign Boobie Gibson too.

Was going to joke about them bringing back Matthew Dellavedova but he already still plays for them. My "Who he play for?' skills must be slipping.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn't say he's like an all timer but I consider Spo to be a great coach (at least, very good and not deserving to be lumped in with LeBron's fair to middling other head coaches)

Idk if I buy this headline but I'm curious to read the article. How many "great" coaches did Larry Bird have? A great coach is usually but not always necessary to win a 'ship.

Fact that LeBron doesn't have a coach that he's synonymous with is more on LeBron than any of his coaches.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
K.C. Jones is pretty well-regarded as an NBA coach, even though he was inducted as a "player" into the HOF. Before he coached the Celtics, he had already taken the Bullets to the Finals.

Spoelstra seemed to gain the respect of LeBron over time and didn't appear to be as much of a LeBron "puppet" like some of the other coaches in that montage. Considering his body of work with the Heat since that time he is obviously a great coach. Who had them pegged to go to the Finals last year?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. KC Jones and Bill Fitch are both very good coaches (and Bill Fitch did eventually get in the Hall of Fame as a coach) but I wouldn't say they're synonymous with Bird.

I feel like some of Spo's best work was pre and post LeBron. Not many people remember that in his first season ('08-'09), The Heat improved from 15 to 43 wins.

Staff member
Reaction score
We have to bring this dude THT back no matter what. I don't even care what the rules are they need to trade players to make sure he don't leave. He's an RFA but this dude has to be banned from leaving the building.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I was always a mark for Big Ben. One of the coolest looking and most imposing athletes period in his prime. His run with the Bulls isn't that bad if you think about it. It was stupid to sign a one way player to a big contract (for that time), but Ben was great that first year, then started to break down with injuries.

I still can't believe that Big Ben/Baby Bulls team swept the reigning champs Heat in the 07 playoffs. Wallace was locked in on Shaq and was a big reason they dominated that series. That 06/07 Bulls team was really fun and underrated.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My pc is notbworking and warriors clinching game wasn't on 5v here so first time ever watched a pirated stream on atablet. Curry didn't let me down. Even if we're swept in the first round this was a fun season