Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA Playoffs 2021

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Play-ins

Tuesday (both games on TNT)
Charlotte @ Indiana, 6:30 ET
Washington @ Boston, 9:00 ET (winner faces Brooklyn in round 1)

Wednesday (both games on ESPN)
San Antonio @ Memphis, 7:30 ET
Golden State @ LA Lakers, 10:00 ET (winner faces Phoenix in round 1)

Thursday (TNT)
Winner of IND/CHA @ loser of WAS/BOS (winner faces Philadelphia in round 1)

Friday (TNT)
Winner of SA/MEM @ loser of GS/LAL (winner faces Utah in round 1)

Other matchups

East:
(1) Philadelphia vs (8) TBD
(2) Brooklyn vs (7) TBD
(3) Milwaukee vs (6) Miami (have met twice in playoffs, with Miami winning both series, most recently winning 4-1 in 2020.)
(4) New York vs (5) Atlanta (have met twice in playoffs, with New York winning both series, most recently winning 4-0 in 1999.)

West:
(1) Utah vs (8) TBD
(2) Phoenix vs (7) TBD
(3) Denver vs (6) Portland (have met three times in playoffs, with Portland winning twice, most recently winning 4-3 in 2019.)
(4) LA Clippers vs (5) Dallas (have met once in playoffs, in 2020, with the Clippers winning 4-2.)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well now that they needed any help but this is a good way to ensure that New Yorkers will root for the Knicks over the Nets.

For play ins/first round, I'm going to predict;
Charlotte over Indiana
Washington over Boston

San Antonio over Memphis
LA Lakers over Golden State

Boston over Charlotte
Golden State over San Antonio

(1) Philadelphia over (8) Boston in 7 games
(2) Brooklyn over (7) Washington in 5 games
(3) Milwaukee over (6) Miami in 7 games
(4)New York over (5) Atlanta in 7 games

(1) Utah over (8) Golden State in 6 games
(7)LA Lakers over (2) Phoenix in 6 games
(3) Denver over (6) Portland in 5 games
(4)LA Clippers over (5) Dallas in 6 games

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I am currently on a double decker bus in Vegas, and we drove by an empty plot just past the corner of Elvis Presley/Las Vegas blvd which the guide said was for a proposed NBA arena. He also said it would have a retractable roof. Do any other NBA arenas have this? We may be on to some ground breaking stuff here folks

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
The thought that the lakers could lose this game tonight, and all of ESPN's afternoon debate shows have been preempted by golf tomorrow, strikes me as hysterical.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Coach of the Year has to go to the Knicks because who thought the Knicks were gonna be good, let alone making it to the playoffs and honestly being a dark horse? Speaking of Knicks, I think Julius Randle wins MIP because the dude is nearly an MVP candidate (honestly, I think he should be). And Rose definitely should be Sixth Man. Also, can Sixth Man be renamed to Best Swingman or something? There should not be two players from the same team making the award.

Rookie probably goes to LeMelo I bet. Wouldn't be surprised if Draymond wins the Defensive Player of the Year, even if Gobert probably should win it again.

If the Final 3 of the MVP is those three... I think we end up with Curry winning it. Just because the narrative of Curry leading the Warriors to the play-in with numbers on par with the other MVP seasons (in fact, I believe I recall this year is his best), gives him the best shot at winning it. Jokic will be a strong candidate because he's played every single game in this compact season and managed to keep the Nuggets a relevant force in the West's playoffs. Unfortunately for Embiid, he's the guy on the outside looking in. He doesn't have as great of narrative as Curry and he has played less than Jokic.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Updated series:

East:
(1) Philadelphia vs (8) Washington (have met five times in the playoffs, with Philadelphia winning 3 times, most recently winning 3-2 in 1986.)
(2) Brooklyn vs (7) Boston (have met twice in the playoffs, both won by the Nets, most recently a four-game sweep in 2003. The Nets are the only franchise to have played more than one playoff series against the Celtics and not lost.)

West:
(1) Utah vs (8) Memphis (first meeting between the Jazz and Grizzlies in the playoffs.)
(2) Phoenix vs (7) LA Lakers (have met 12 times in the playoffs, with the Lakers winning 8, most recently a 4-2 victory in 2010.)

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll throw in some predictions for the first round

East:

76ers in 5
Brooklyn in 7
Bucks in 6
Knicks in 7

West:

Jazz in 4
Lakers in 7 (I know he's been very good this year, but I can't take a team seriously as a title threat that has Cam Payne in a important role. Those two years he was on the Bulls truly scarred me. Plus, it's gonna be hard to conquer AD and LeBron.)
Nuggets in 6
Clippers in 5

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Updated predictions based on me getting play in predictions wrong.

Philadelphia over Washington in 6
Brooklyn over Boston in 5
Utah over Memphis in 4

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And the Knicks lose an absolute heartbreaker to the Hawks in their first playoff game in eight years. Wouldn't have expected anything more

Last edited: