Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBC's Must See TV

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Was there a particular episode that kicked Seinfeld off into success. I feel like the "Second Spitter" bit got a lot of play, but I really don't know.
Seinfeld was on Wednesday until Season 4, where it switched to the Thurs power house line up. The spitting bit was season 3.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Season 3 was when people realized "Oh I guess Seinfeld isn't just a cult show." and became a regular sized hit. Season 5, after Cheers ended and Seinfeld took its time spot is when it became the ginormous sitcom of the '90s.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At least two of these doctors (probably more) died on the show...how is this reunion going to work? They’re going to Zoom from beyond the grave?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
At least two of these doctors (probably more) died on the show...how is this reunion going to work? They’re going to Zoom from beyond the grave?
Dan Connor resurrected. Seven vanished on Married...with Children, Judy Winslow went upstairs and was never seen again. It's TV. It'll be ok.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wendt is only a year older than Shelley Long but Long looked much, much younger than him when Cheers started in 82

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
that same year NBC gave Martin Short a sitcom that lasted 3 episodes. Steve Martin actually cameoed in the 2nd episode.

Wilder's show actually nearly lasted a full season (cancelled in March 95).

Jennifer Grey was originally cast as Wilder's wife.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's weird that Martin Short's sitcom bombed so badly in '94 considering unlike Wilder, you weren't too far removed from him starring in movies. Mildly warm take: I feel like Martin Short is way way better as a supporting character or part of an ensemble than as a lead. His shtick can get very annoying very quickly.

That was also not long after Clifford. '94 was a bad year for Martin Short.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As for why NBC gave Wilder a show. It started airing on Saturdays. So NBC was probably trying to get the older audience on a weekend night that would stay home and were probably familiar with Wilder's film work.

The show bombed in that slot and was moved to Tuesday's where it continued to underperform

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also feel like a sitcom based around Gene Wilder and his much younger wife and their kids not that long after Gilda Radner died was also probably an off putting idea that turned a lot of people off. I know it's a dumb sitcom and not a docudrama but still seems like someone would've said "Hey. Maybe we should come up with a different concept."

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
During that '94-'95 season TV Guide reported that NBC was going to have a sitcom called The Ties That Bind starring Ralph Macchio and Andrew "No Longer Dice" Clay. This was around the time when I became a Karate Kid fan so I was looking forward to seeing it pop up midseason. It never aired. Apparently the pilot was randomly mailed to test audiences on one-time-use VHS tapes that erased themselves as they were played. As a result, there's no footage of it online.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
94/95 was strange for NBC. Friends and ER debuted to huge success. Seinfeld became an iconic show. But the rest of their programming was kind of a mess.

SNL was terrible that year and Leno was losing to Letterman until Hugh
Grant interview in summer of 95

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Something Wilder was the first time I ever heard of Alice Cooper so it holds a special place in my heart. I love Gene as well but he wasn't a sitcom guy.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
18AAEDC0-CBFC-40AC-B5D5-C85648E3D9E1.jpeg
Bill Cosby gives away Phylicia Rashad at her wedding reception to Ahmad Rashad while best man OJ Simpson looks on.

That must have been some wedding reception. Yikes.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Announced today that Michael J. Fox is receiving an honorary Oscar next year.

Proud of my man Alex P. Keaton!!

Oh damn he got it last night. But still hell yeah!

Last edited: