Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Netflix's Stranger Things

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Yes definitely. Not sure if I will have time this weekend because I want to be able to sit down and marathon, but it will be watched soon!

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I watched the first episode this morning before work. Good atmosphere and of course stirred up my 80s nostalgia.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
3 episodes in and loving it. The original score is amazing on a Neon Demon kind of level. So good!

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
When El put the game piece on the board to show what Will was hiding from, I got chills.
And that start to episode 3. This is going to be the best new show of the summer.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Onto episode 4 and really digging it. The kid cast definitely brings an E.T./Goonies style vibe to everything. This all actually reminds me a lot of the movie Super 8 so if you liked that, you'll dig this.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Onto episode 4 and really digging it. The kid cast definitely brings an E.T./Goonies style vibe to everything. This all actually reminds me a lot of the movie Super 8 so if you liked that, you'll dig this.

I'm on 4 now, too. Basically if Stephen King wrote ET, is what I've been telling people. I got the Super 8 vibe, but felt that this is everything that movie tried to be, but failed at, since I hated that movie.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Watched the first two episodes this morning and like it. The acting and cinematography are top notch so I'll definatley see this to the end.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Finished it. Very solid show that I think ran the right length, just 8 episodes. Could've stretched it out for maybe 10-11 episodes tops IMO and some teasing at the end but I'd be surprised if they tried to continue it with more seasons unless certain things happened.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Finished it this afternoon and loved the hell out of it.

I believe a second season has already been announced, and the producers/creators said it's going to be more like a sequel than a second season. I know people online have asked for an anthology show, each season being different, but looks like they want to continue the story.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
Detective Ventriloquist said:
Harley Quinn said:

I'm on 4 now, too. Basically if Stephen King wrote ET, is what I've been telling people. I got the Super 8 vibe, but felt that this is everything that movie tried to be, but failed at, since I hated that movie.

Heh, good comparison, except instead of a cute alien they find
a young Carrie but instead of her crazy religious mother she was raised by The Shop from Firestarter.

Finished it up tonight, loved every bit of it.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Just finished this. Thought it was pretty fantastic. All the child actors were excellent.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finished it last night. Wishing there was more but a rewatch will have to do!

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Just finished the finale. Probably the best series I've watched since Breaking Bad ended.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finished it now, Dustin is my favorite character in anything ever.

Everything is so good, I really don't have any complaints. I thought I was gonna dislike the peeping tom son and the older daughter at first, but they did a great job with those characters by the end. Even the douchebag boyfriend was fleshed out.

Winona, David Harbour, and the kids were all great. Harbour has been one of my favorite character actors in recent years and I'm glad he got a meaty part to showcase his talents. The girl that plays El is gonna be a huge star.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dustin was definitely a highlight. It's like if Chunk and Mouth had a baby.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Empty Fossil of the New Scene said:
Dustin was definitely a highlight. It's like if Chunk and Mouth had a baby.

He kinda looks like a baby El Dandy. Great find for the casting directors.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Started this tonight. I'm tentative due to the comparisons to Super 8 (which I didn't care for too much), but I got halfway in and...yeah, this show is great. The soundtrack is perfect, the cast is EXCELLENT (David Harbour is awesome, Winona Ryder is perfect, and the kids have incredible personality to them), and that opening title screen sets just the right tone.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Laz said:
Started this tonight. I'm tentative due to the comparisons to Super 8 (which I didn't care for too much), but I got halfway in and...yeah, this show is great. The soundtrack is perfect, the cast is EXCELLENT (David Harbour is awesome, Winona Ryder is perfect, and the kids have incredible personality to them), and that opening title screen sets just the right tone.

I mentioned Super 8 a bunch of posts back, but I highly disliked it as well, but loved this.

If anyone is interested in the band that did the music, they're called S U R V I V E, and their stuff can be found on the Bandcamp website. I've downloaded their discography, and they have a new album coming out, and they're pretty damn awesome.

Laz

Reaction score
Detective:
This synthwave stuff is awesome. SURVIVE, Perturbator, Le Matos (who did the brilliant Turbo Kid soundtrack)...this entire little scene is fantastic.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Laz said:
Detective:
This synthwave stuff is awesome. SURVIVE, Perturbator, Le Matos (who did the brilliant Turbo Kid soundtrack)...this entire little scene is fantastic.
Totally agree. I'm loving it. Also, check out VHS Glitch. He's fantastic. One of my current favorites, and I've spoken with him a lot on Facebook.

Laz

Reaction score
Just finished this. Holy shit I loved it.

I figured the hook for S2 would be El coming over Mike's radio, but Will puking that thing up and flashing back to the Upside Down was just fine. My only real complaint is the monster being primarily CG when practical effects would've enhanced that 80s vibe to it all, but that's so minor compared to how great this was that I don't care.

OG

OG
Reaction score
Watched the series today and yesterday and this was great. Loved it top to bottom, from the score (which, more than Drive, reminded me of a recent movie called Cold in July) to the acting to the resolution. The Super 8 comparison was apt, especially since I loved that movie too.

rollie

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Laz said:
My only real complaint is the monster being primarily CG when practical effects would've enhanced that 80s vibe to it all, but that's so minor compared to how great this was that I don't care.

I was thinking the same thing but came across this in an interview

Spectral Motion is another company that built a lot of monsters for Guillermo. They built our monster and they’re really great. They have an amazing robotic engineer who built the head — we call them petals, the pieces that open up when it needs to feed. Those were completely animatronic, programmed in a way that they moved in random patterns, which made them feel very organic and alive. There were times we couldn’t do what we needed to do with a guy in a suit and then we turned to computer graphics.

Perhaps it was that they did CGI touchup that made it look more CGI but that was interesting. There were only a handful of scenes that looked practical (closeups of the monster's skin). Or maybe we see so much CGI these days we mistake the real thing for it..

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
http://nerdist.com/stranger-things-creators-talks-future-seasons-for-the-show/

"Now the show’s creators, the Duffer Brothers, along with producer Shawn Levy, have revealed there are in fact plans not only for a second season, but several seasons. Although the show hasn’t officially been renewed by Netflix yet, with the outpouring of love and great reviews the series got with season one, it seems like a no-brainer. Series co-creator Matt Duffer recently talked to IGN about a potential continuation, saying, “If we do get to go back, it’s not a second season as much as a sequel”, which seemed to suggest that not all of the main cast would return, as was often common with horror sequels in the ’80s.

However, executive producer Shawn Levy has gone into a bit more detail about the potential future of the series, and confirms that most of the cast would indeed return, should they get the greenlight from Netflix. In an interview with /Film, Levy said the following: “We definitely are hopeful to go several more seasons. And the plan is to continue with this set of characters while introducing a few critical key new ones next season. So I’ll just say that a lot of the big mysteries get answered at the end of Season 1, but we are very much kind of unearthing new problems and questions that merit future stories and future investigation in the most enjoyable way.”"

Laz

Reaction score
I don't quite like the idea of having knowledge of more than another season. That almost ruins the idea of a sequel, especially to horror fare, since most sequels aren't planned in advance. At least lie to us about anything after Season 2.

I can't keep a straight face typing that.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
I've watched through Episode 5 thus far. Enjoying it a bunch. Very interested to see how it wraps up and how they connect these dots in the final three episodes. Going to try and finish it out tonight!