Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NFL Offseason and Black Monday 2021 NFL Edition

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The even worse part is that they could have traded him to the Niners for the #3 pick and take whomever they like better between Fields and Lance, both much better prospects than Love. Instead they are going to dig in, he's going to leave anyways, and we're going to get jackshit.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just imagine 3/4ths of the NFL head coaches and GMs in a It's A Mad, Mad World esque dash to Aaron Rodgers house rn. This certainly made draft night 1000x more interesting than it already was. This is going to get so many crappy franchises hopes up!

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Murphy, the fuckin idiot, Gute, the even dumber guy, and Lafleur, who made one of the worst play calls in championship game history, all visited Rodgers to try to change his mind. Somehow, it didn't work.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me figure out why it didn't work. I mean, they only drafted his replacement last year and didn't get him more help on the offense, wouldn't give him a long term commitment after an MVP season, and instead of drafting a round one wideout or getting another target via free agency to go along with Adams.

I mean, I see no reason in that small list of reasons that Rodgers shouldn't say "fuck you, I'm done". Like seriously, what the fuck Green Bay.

Edit: Also, yes they did finally decide to commit to him, but too little too late.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The unrelentingly dumb front office (still worshipped by a certain segment of the fanbase tho!) have apparently deluded themselves into believing Rodgers is just selling them wolf tickets.

Staff member
Reaction score
The unrelentingly dumb front office (still worshipped by a certain segment of the fanbase tho!) have apparently deluded themselves into believing Rodgers is just selling them wolf tickets.

He's either gonna retire or pull a Carson Palmer. Unfortunately for Packers fans that seems to clearly be the case now. He even has the same agent Palmer had.

but if he's gonna wind up in Denver otherwise, the Raiders absolutely must trade for him period

Last edited:

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd much rather trade him to Denver and get something than have him just retire for nothing. Also, most Packers fans I've seen are with Rodgers on this one, which is much different than what happened with Brett Favre where the fanbase sided with the team over Favre.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rodgers is completely right with the whole thing. Green Bay's mismanagement has seemingly one-upped itself over the past handful of years. They would do the opposite of what Rodgers wanted and continue to ask him to pull of miracles to make up for it. Over and over again. The Love pick is getting to be right up there with the Tony Mandarich fuckup. And now they might not get a draft pick or even a veteran stopgap out of the deal.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I'm going to go the opposite way and say he was just pulling a Favre and timed being a shit stirrer up with the NFL offseason highlight moment to get himself pub and make the front office look like bumfucks. Favre would tease retirement for years, Rodgers is just pretending a trade is even plausible.

We have seen zero of Jordon Love, so everyone hawing about his bust status is premature at worst. I'll wait for August to meltdown.
That's not to say he wasn't a stupid pick to move up for when the team could have used ammo for a Soup run.

---
The year Rodgers took over for Favre the Packers used a second rounder on a QB (who was a dud), but the team was trying to cover their ass.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
2nd and a 5th if I recall correctly, they drafted Brohm and Ingle Martin in the same draft.

EDIT: Martin was the 06 draft. I was thinking of the 08 draft with Brohm (2nd) and Flynn (7th). I knew something was off b/c I remember a Favre interview referencing "Ingle and Aaron" at some point.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They didn't know Rodgers would be a multi MVP at that point. He's still in a prime that has been wasted by front office dumbness. Comparing the Rodgers situation to what Favre chose to do requires making stuff up.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
They didn't know Rodgers would be a multi MVP at that point. He's still in a prime that has been wasted by front office dumbness. Comparing the Rodgers situation to what Favre chose to do requires making stuff up.
Brett's teams won the division 5 months before Rodgers was drafted and Favre was only 35 when they picked Rodgers.
Brett played 5 more years. The Packers went in the shitter the year they drafted Rodgers, so in theory giving Brett ammo could have bolstered a good team.
Favre had the team in the NFC championship in the months before his divorce from the Packers.

Not too far off IMO.

Reaction score

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Denver's Ja'Wuan James tore his Achilles and will likely miss all of the 2021 NFL Season.

Raiders released S Jeff Heath & signed CB Casey Hayward while the Bears signed WR Damiere Byrd. I liked Byrd last year with the Pats as he was a legit deep threat and there were a fair number of times that Cam just couldn't hit him deep that pushed his numbers lower than they'd have been otherwise.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Lions finally waived RB Kerryon Johnson. I felt he ran too upright coming out of college and that his best-case scenario was Darren McFadden. Knee injuries quickly derailed him and maybe a change of scenery will help him have a respectable longer career.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Houston signed LB Neville Hewitt to a 1 year deal while Philadelphia claimed RB Kerryon Johnson off waivers (they must really hate Miles Sanders at this point). Miami also signed CB Jason McCourty to a 1 year deal and Seattle claimed LB/S Saivion Smith off waivers from Dallas.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
TIM TEBOW IS BACK (As a Jaguars TE)!

fe1d3493f884bed6f8853190a0209d9e

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Imagine how good he will be now that he’s gotten sex since he last played.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My friend shared an IG meme/conspiracy theory talking about how Tim Tebow losing his virginity happened right before Kobe died and the COVID shutdown. V. suspicious.

Speaking of the Jags. Them and the Atlanta Falcons WILL be playing London games during the 2021 season but there will be no Mexico City game next season cause I guess they don't have their shit together well enough RE: the Tebow Sex induced pandemic.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cowboys/Bucs will open the season on kickoff Thursday.

Giants host .Broncos in their opener

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Broncos signed RT Bobby Massie to a 1 year deal worth $4 Million. Washington signed LT Charles Leno Jr to a 1 year deal worth $5 Million.

Packers signed QB Blake Bortles to a 1 year deal.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Giants signed RB Corey Clement. He'll likely try to crack the roster as a STer.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Patriots are re-signing Brian Hoyer. so does that mean they’re completely throwing in the towel on Stidham?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd guess that the "competition" for the backup spot is between Hoyer/Stidham with the loser being released while Mac Jones is initially the #3 QB unless he blows Belichick/McDaniels away and is able to start right out of the gate. Patriots also quietly re-signed C James Ferentz, giving them a backup option at C/G or a stash on the PS. They also signed G Alex Redmond as they continue to compete at OL. He started 24 games for the Cincinnati Bengals over the past few seasons.

Eagles traded a 2023 6th Round Pick & CB Jameson Houston to Jacksonville for CB Josiah Scott.

Miami claimed CB/S Trill Williams off waivers from New Orleans after they cut him with a failed physical tag. Miami could stash Trill on their PS or IR for the year and redshirt him.