Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NFL Offseason and Black Monday 2021 NFL Edition

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would hope Patriots wouldn't waste their highest draft pick in decades on a #3 quarterback! What do you think the benefit would be of sticking Mac with third string, @HarleyQuinn ? I would hope Hoyer/Stidham are competing for the third string position!

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would hope Patriots wouldn't waste their highest draft pick in decades on a #3 quarterback! What do you think the benefit would be of sticking Mac with third string, @HarleyQuinn ? I would hope Hoyer/Stidham are competing for the third string position!
I think it's more to let Mac get acclimated to the playbook, the coaching staff, how the Patriots operate in terms of daily and weekly game prep, etc. At best, he becomes Jimmy G and is seeing playing time in Year 1 which I hope he does (hell, I hope he starts Week 1 on so...) but I'm also not holding my breath with how much the org seems to love Brian Hoyer.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Barring Cam Newton turning the clock to 2014, I would friggin hope Mac Jones sees some playing time this season. I would also hope/think the Pats front office isn't dumb enough to think Hoyer is anything better than very solid #3 option (or a so so #2).

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Probably are putting him at #3 so as not to rush him or put undo pressure on him, I think.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Harley's Super Early Patriots 53 Man Roster Projection
QB [3]: Cam Newton, Brian Hoyer, Mac Jones
RB [4]: Damien Harris, James White, Rhamondre Stevenson, Brandon Bolden
FB [1]: Jakob Johnson
WR [6]: Nelson Agholor, Jakobi Meyers, Kendrick Bourne, Gunner Olszewski, Isaiah Zuber, Matt Slater
TE [4]: Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene
C [2]: David Andrews, Marcus Martin
OT [4]: Trent Brown, Isaiah Wynn, Yodny Cajuste, Will Sherman
OG [4]: Shaq Mason, Alex Redmond, Mike Owenwu, Ted Karras
DE [4]: Chase Winovich, Deatrich Wise Jr, Henry Anderson, Byron Cowart
DT [4]: Lawrence Guy, Montravius Adams, Christian Barmore, Davon Godchaux
ILB [2]: Ja'Whaun Bentley, Harvey Langi
OLB [5]: Dont'a Hightower, Matt Judon, Kyle Van Noy, Josh Uche, Anfernee Jennings
CB [5]: Stephon Gilmore, Jalen Mills, J.C. Jackson, Joejuan Williams, Justin Bethel
FS [2]: Devin McCourty, Joshuah Bledsoe
SS [2]: Kyle Dugger, Adrian Phillips
K [1]: Nick Folk
LS [1]: Joe Cardona

Notable Cuts: QB Jarrett Stidham, RB Sony Michel, WR N'Keal Harry, CB Jonathan Jones
Thoughts/Comments: Patriots are clearly moving towards a bully ground game offense that we saw last year. Several of the backend guys offer key ST versatility (Bolden, Gunner, Bethel, Slater, Langi) thus my keeping them on the 53 Man Roster. I'm really torn on if Harry makes it as I know the Patriots value his blocking at the WR position but they clearly are going more for speed and I think Zuber offers ST cover versatility. Stevenson is a bulldozer + he can cover if necessary so I think that puts Michel's job in great jeopardy.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
I think Michel gets cut too. He pretty much lost his role last year to Harris. Stevenson offers a totally different approach with his size and power. When they drafted Stevenson, I felt like it was their way of filling the old Legarrette Blount role.

Harry I think makes the roster. He has had so many injuries. This feels like a make or break season for him. It's hard to give up on a first round pick after two seasons.

I kind of wonder if Brian Hoyer's role is more of offensive mentor to Mac Jones. Cam just doesn't seem like the type that will mentor a guy that will take his job away in a year.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
His contract is horrible and massive. I really don't know why any team would want to trade for him.

Titans & Chargers are about the most WR needy teams in the league. Both lost major targetted receivers in the off-season and didn't really fill those voids with anything more than mid-round draft picks.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Patriots are interested as well, but who knows how they manage to pull that off.

Deshaun Watson isn't attending OTAs and is demanding a trade again (not sure how it is again, but okay). Honestly, I would just trade him to the Eagles - as they seem willing to give up their 3 firsts - to just start the rebuild. Is it enough for him? No, but I'd take the 3 firsts and just run at this point. You aren't going to get a better offer.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Watson isn't even worth a 7th round pick at this point with all the bad media shit storm and future media shit storm he brings.

Eagles are dumb as hell if they trade any 1sts or 2nds for him. They have all the ammo in the world to move up and snag a top QB in the 22 draft if Hurts doesn't pan out this year.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd love to see Julio as part of the Patriots but I don't know if he'd be another Chad Johnson/Joey Galloway or at best be like Brandon Lloyd. The Patriots system really is best fit for the Deion Branches, Jabar Gaffneys, Danny Amendolas, Chris Hogans, and even Nelson Agholor type wide receivers. A lot of the big body WRs that Belichick has drafted or signed as FAs going back to Donald Hayes, P.K. Sam, etc. usually haven't worked out because they aren't crisp enough route runners or can't get consistent separation.

Also, Julio said he wants to play with Cam... not necessarily with Belichick or the Patriots as an organization.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Well, Aaron Rodgers went on TV (think it was ESPN) and basically admitted that his issue is strictly with the front office and how they seem to have gotten away from what made the Packers the Packers. Or at least that's how Rodgers is phrasing it.

If it is something like that, yeah. While it might not be him asking for the GM to be gone, in a way, it also is. So yeah. Don't really know how that gets repaired, because I don't think the Packers did anything in the draft that would've convinced Rodgers that things have changed. Also finding out that Julio could've been had for a single first in the draft probably doesn't help either.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Seems to me Rodgers was both honest and accurate when he said winning another MVP screwed up Green Bay's plans. And that's why he's also right about the front office (Murphy, Gute, and Ball in particular; Thomspon had become increasingly problematic before being pushed out but Rodgers has an understandable fondness toward him) being oblivious to the team's tradition and toward having a goal towards winning championships. They've squandered so many seasons with Rodgers, Mathews, Peppers, Adams, etc by trolling their generational talent at qb and trying to prove some weird points by winning without doing the expected things like attaining/keeping good players. Of course, instead of winning this front office has only succeeding in putting together some of the most embarrassing January flops in football history.

And a sizeable part of this fanbase up here will still struggle to figure out if they want a championship team or just continue to be royally entertained by front office dudes.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Well, Aaron Rodgers went on TV (think it was ESPN) and basically admitted that his issue is strictly with the front office and how they seem to have gotten away from what made the Packers the Packers. Or at least that's how Rodgers is phrasing it.

If it is something like that, yeah. While it might not be him asking for the GM to be gone, in a way, it also is. So yeah. Don't really know how that gets repaired, because I don't think the Packers did anything in the draft that would've convinced Rodgers that things have changed. Also finding out that Julio could've been had for a single first in the draft probably doesn't help either.
The Packers haven't been FA heavy bidders since Ted Thompson took over in 2007ish. Ron Wolf definitely plugged a ton of spots with vets and trades and Sherman tried to be aggressive but his moves (Terry Glenn, Hardy Nickerson, big contract for Cletius Hunt) didn't land. Thompon and Gute both used free agency to stop the bleeding in their first years (C.Woodson/Ryan Pickett - Preston Smith/Zadarius)
I think this does boil down to waiting too long to address WR2 and taking the QB with a 1st Rd trade up.
Jordy/Jennings/Driver and Cobb were all allowed to stay until they were pretty well used up. Driver even got a bonus year because the front office was still smarting from the Favre PR disaster from 2 years earlier.
I think Jared Cook was definitely somebody who should have gotten another contract with GB.

I wonder how this conversation would really be exploding further if Kevin King didn't forget how to play football in the biggest game of his life and the Packers would have battled the Chiefs in the Soup instead.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The "they didn't previously sign FAs" thing is a front office excuse that is somehow still useful for them. I don't know why because, bluntly, it's really fuckin dumb. Your Jordy, Jennings, Cobb comment is more FO boilerplate but, unfortunately, not at all correct.

Rodgers literally said this doesn't involve Love. Pretending Rodgers is selling wolf tickets about all this is a big part of the problem, not a solution for it.

King didn't forget how to play football last January. That was a bad draft pick from the beginning. Remember who they missed out on for that choice?

Again, I just don't get the entertainment value in the front office that so many others up here seem to find.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
You think Cobb and Jennings had enough juice to give big cash to? Cobb was making 9 million and hurt his last year IIRC and Jennings didn't have a 1,000 yard season in either of his last 2 GB efforts. Jordy was definitely shot.

It's not "Love" but the fact that they took a QB in general w/o Rodgers being warned pissed him off, Had they taken Bobby Bumfuck, WR, A-Rod would be less butt hurt by Gute at this point. And I think it was an awful move, which I am not at all defending.

King had statistically the worst rated defensive player performance of anyone all season in the NFC championship based on whatever metrics those stats are taken from. That was where I was speaking from in that case,

I've said several times that the GB front office had a major problem with babying Favre under Sherman, to the degree he got his own locker room and such, and then he became a huge headache with the yearly retirement talk so I think the current administration has heard the horror stories and are trying not to create a monster, but by doing so created a different monster.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Adam Vinatieri retired. Probably the GOAT Kicker in NFL History (unless Justin Tucker wins multiple Super Bowls too). Was a legend for the Patriots and also a Jason Hanson-esque mainstay for the Indianapolis Colts as well.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score

Whelp. Someone offered the Falcons enough to move him. Either the Cardinals or Patriots who offered that 1st I think.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Current rumblings that the Tennessee Titans are the favorites to acquire WR Julio Jones for a 2nd Round Pick.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Hm, thought the Titans were on the outside looking in, but I guess whoever was thinking of offering the first must've pulled it.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
So now I need to know why the team that pulled the first did so, as they originally did have a 1st offered. And how no one offered something better than a 2nd and a 3rd.

Congrats to the Titans though.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Corey Davis had a career year last year for the Titans with 65 receptions and 984 yards last year.

Julio Jones will produce less than that.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
San Francisco already lost their LT Justin Skule to a torn ACL and lost SS Tarvarious Moore to a torn Achilles.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Bears signed TE Jake Butt in the most fitting destination for a guy with that name in NFL history.
Jaguars signed WR Laquon Treadwell, a guy I'm legit baffled keeps getting chances but he's big & tall I guess.