Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions 2022

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looking back why did Bossman go over Nailz at Survivor Series 92 when Bossman was on his way out and Nailz was about to enter a program with Undertaker? I know the answer is because wwf was a babyface territory but looking back that made no sense

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Did they know Bossman was on his way out? He works the Rumble vs. Bigelow and then does house shows into March?

He even works as a special referee 12/3/93 in Anaheim before appearing in WCW ten days later.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think they knew he was on his way out cause he also put over Doink. I don't think him leaving was a slow burning thing or he left and I don't think he left on bad terms so that's probably why he got to go over Nails. And also it'd be jarring and out of place for '92 WWF to have the violent ex con over the corrections officer.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I know he went over because the babyface was going to go over but it was certainly questionable from a traditional booking viewpoint

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Allegedly he left because he was convinced Vince was going to lose the trial and it would ruin his gimmick.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I definitely have a memory of Taker coming out to stare down Nailz and also remember Nailz damn near killing Sgt Slaughter. And then he goes and assaults Vince and left me with zero resolution on any of that.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
They played that up so huge and I just didn't care. Nailz was such a step down and his existing past the Bossman feud didn't sit right.

Knowing how Bossman, the Nasties, and Sid were still under contract makes at least the first part of 1993 even more baffling. Like, Sid in the Crush spot with multiple Doinks seems so right with him killing and cutting promos on a clown army. Bossman and Bigelow just hoss fighting endlessly.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't know until a year or two ago that Backlund was still in WWF for the better part of Hogan's first year as World Champ. I had always thought that Backlund left right after he dropped the title to Sheiky Baby It's obvious that Backlund in the Hogan era wasn't going to work unless he turned heel (which he was adamantly against) but it's weird that it took them eight months to figure that out. I guess things moved slower in '84.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My best guess is Vince saw him as a stopgap #2/#3 babyface until he figured out his rotation behind The Hulkster. Backlund even headlined a MSG show against our guy Greg Valentine in April '84. Once Sgt. Slaughter got over as a strong #2 that could connect with the audience that Hogan was too flashy for, it was probably over for Bobby Backlund.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Traditionally I think a wrestler in Backlund's position would see the writing on the wall and move on. I imagine Backlund does not really have a role after Hogan comes in but Vince does not want to outright fire Backlund.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also think Backlund might've assumed that since had been champion for nearly six years that Vince would find something for him to do and maybe that he'd occupy the "Living Legend" role that Bruno had in the late '70s/early '80s.

On the other hand, Backlund had late '00s/early 2010s Cena levels of hate from the fans during last year or two of his title reign and he was probably to last as long as he did.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Dig the star power on this card!

WWF @ Sunbury, PA - Shikellamy Field House - June 12, 1986 (523)
The scheduled Ted Arcidi vs. Tiger Chung Lee and Tony Atlas vs. Hercules matches were canceled
Jim Powers defeated AJ Petruzzi
Cousin Luke defeated Moondog Rex
Susan Starr defeated Tracy Richards (sub. for Judy Martin)
George Wells defeated Moondog Spot via disqualification
Jim Powers defeated Rene Goulet
Jose Luis Rivera (sub. for SD Jones) defeated Terry Gibbs
Cousin Luke won a 9-man $5,000 battle royal; other participants included: Jim Powers, AJ Petruzzi, Rene Goulet, George Wells, the Moondogs, Terry Gibbs, & Jose Luis Rivera

alkeiper

Reaction score
It’s a bad sign when Jim Powers is working double duty. Larry Latham (Spot) is by far the best worker on that card.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Psycho Backlund turning on Hogan would've been money.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jose Luis Rivera somehow lasted in the WWF until 1991(!) a nine year run starting in 1982. He was a Shadow and a Conquistador.

JHawk

Reaction score
It’s a bad sign when Jim Powers is working double duty. Larry Latham (Spot) is by far the best worker on that card.
Triple duty if you count the battle royal. And two wins with those two singles matches, no less

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
WWF @ Landover, MD - Capital Centre - March 1, 1987
Paul Roma defeated Tiger Chung Lee
The Honkytonk Man defeated Jerry Allen
Steve Lombardi defeated Sivi Afi
Dan Spivey defeated Demolition in a handicap match
WWF Tag Team Champions Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart defeated B. Brian Blair & Jim Brunzell
WWF IC Champion Randy Savage & Paul Orndorff defeated Ricky Steamboat & George Steele

I know it's a house show but...huh?

JHawk

Reaction score
WWF @ Landover, MD - Capital Centre - March 1, 1987
Paul Roma defeated Tiger Chung Lee
The Honkytonk Man defeated Jerry Allen
Steve Lombardi defeated Sivi Afi
Dan Spivey defeated Demolition in a handicap match
WWF Tag Team Champions Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart defeated B. Brian Blair & Jim Brunzell
WWF IC Champion Randy Savage & Paul Orndorff defeated Ricky Steamboat & George Steele

I know it's a house show but...huh?
It was probably scheduled to be Spivey and Rotundo as a team but with Rotundo leaving they just didn't sub him out.

Still a head scratching result though

Dandy

Reaction score
Spivey and Jerry Allen, actually. Demolition beat that team day in and day out during that stretch of house shows but Allen was not in that match and Spivey got the win. Looked it up on Cagematch. I would like to hear the story about it.

Demolition was still just five weeks into their team at this point not counting the couple of weeks of Randy Colley. It was a meaningless match and the team was far from a juggernaut at the time but it would be interesting to see why Spivey got to go over them.

JHawk

Reaction score
Allen was the primary sub for Rotundo as Rotundo's last day in WWF appears to be February 12 and he was advertised for shows up through 3/18

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder if Spivey going over Demolition was a test to see if Darsow would complain since he was new to the territory. Sort of like Rude losing to Jerry Allen later that same year. I mean I doubt it since Eadie was a veteran and had been in the territory but that crossed my mind.

alkeiper

Reaction score
I just watched the MSG show from April '83. My wife was in the room for the main event, Andre/Studd. Andre gabs the mic at the end, my wife asked me what he said. Hell if I know.