Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions 2022

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nick and George Gulas show up in the final episode to talk about how they are taking over. Talk about leaving on a cliffhanger! :(

Edit- looked up the Mayor of Nashville declaring it IWA Day
Boner appeared on the show with Traci Peel, a country singer in Nashville. The couple were engaged, making their romance controversial, as Boner was still married to his third wife. It was reported that Peel had previously told a Nashville reporter that the Mayor's passion could last for seven hours.
Mayor Boner indeed!

Last edited:

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I like that the one star HHH 100% made is a pop culture icon. He knew.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did not know the story about George Gulas being busted for soliciting three times in the same day.

He was as awkward in the world of paid sex as he was in the world of wrestling!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I knew he was shown on screen in the background numerous times in the early '80s but I never knew Dr. Zahorian made a speaking appearance on WWF television!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I looked it up on History of WWE and the heel wrestler that Dr. Zahorian was fired up about?
Adrian Adonis! A lot can change in a few years...

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Looking strictly at results, it appears Terry Taylor vs Curt Hennig at WrestleFest 88 was technically heel vs heel. Taylor debuted on TV AFTER the show, and debuts by turning heel on Sam Houston. Taylor does some house show jobs to the Iron Sheik (in the summer of 88!) of all people to kick off his WWF run. He must have really turned off Vince at that 1st meeting.
Taylor and Hennig share some JTTS opponents leading to the match as Hennig was doing his first few shots as a heel and Taylor switched to working faces before the heel turn actually aired.
My head hurts.
Had anyone in Milwaukee watched JCP, Taylor would have been last seen as a heel months earlier.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I always thought "Bill Watts decided to fold up shop as soon as he saw how huge the crowd was for WrestleMania III" was boomer wrestling fan revisionism. Looked it up cause something '87 UWF related showed up in my feed and by golly, Bill Watts sold to JCP a week and a half after WrestleMania III. It didn't seem like he took time to hesitate and ponder whether he was making the right decision! Which, in retrospect, was the smart move. If his career in wrestling ended then (which I'm sure even he probably wishes was the case), he'd probably be considered the shrewdest man in wrestling history.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Vince should've brought Watts in afterwards. He could've been coaxed into a lifer job.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Part of me think it's weird that Vince waited until the product had hit rock bottom and WCW was breathing down its neck to bring in Watts and part of me is amazed that he ever brought in the Cowboy at all considering they were philosophically so opposed IRT their idea of what great pro wrestling is.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Watts and his rules would've fit well in the late '80s-early '90s. Totally would've hid the negatives of the WWF guys, by and large. He probably would've gone with his limitations being in place despite the usual product because it would mean he was right all along. Besides him being one of the Vince gaggle wouldn't have hurt the shows.

He'd have been a better president than Tunney, anyway.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think the stripped down, back to basics approach that people hated in early '90s WCW could've worked for early '90s WWF. They really didn't need Watts in '87-'88. WWF in '89 is a mixed bag as the crowds are still consistently huge but you can definitely see the seeds of decline planted.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I mean, like, it could've been the MVC coming in instead of the Nasties. They'd be gimmicked up somehow, I'm sure, but that would've been a gigantic upgrade and I don't think Vince ever looked at either of them until way too late.

Production-wise I think everything would stay the same but honestly all of the in-ring rules he had in WCW are almost exactly what Hogan or Warrior worked within all the time, and I think Savage would get grandfathered in when it comes to top rope stuff. Bret probably gets pushed harder. A POC might crack the main event in a meaningful way somewhere (even assuming it's busted up JYD). The people who he hated or who would feel alienated by his hiring all could've had better runs elsewhere for a while. I mean, it isn't like things would be worse for anyone.

I dunno. Watts' style was kind of the backbone for wrestling ever since. Just don't let him have full control. I bet he could've booked the perfect Rumble.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think biggest problem with post UWF Watts is he wasn't willing to work without full control. He would've been a hell of a lieutenant and on-air authority figure but he actually wanted to be the dude in charge. No way he would've ever worked in the world of corporate wrestling.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
A POC might crack the main event in a meaningful way somewhere (even assuming it's busted up JYD).
Zeus Bah Gawd. People would have blamed Watts for Saba Simba,

----
Is Nailz destroying Sgt Slaughter to write him off the most forgotten about angle that had ramifications for a former World champ?
I'm not even sure I saw it when it happened. I don't remember the WWF mag covering it. They may have mentioned it when pushing Taker vs Nailz, and it was so obscure I just don't recall it,

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is Nailz destroying Sgt Slaughter to write him off the most forgotten about angle that had ramifications for a former World champ?
If they didn't allude to it during the angle during Fall of '92 where Slaughter was brought in as Jack Tunney's special rules enforcer then they really should have.