Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions 2022

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Anybody here know why Vince decided to Dory Funk Jr.'s WWF name to Hoss Funk? I mean, why did Vince have to do that? Dory & Terry were former NWA World Heavyweight Champions, and they deserved to be respected by all wrestling promoters and fans. I don't get that.
I don't have the answer but I watched Dory's debut yesterday (it's on Villains of the Squared Circle available on Peacock) and Bruno refers to him as Dory, so it wasn't immediate

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I remember watching an old Funk brothers WWF promo on YouTube and wondered by Terry referred to Dory as "Hoss".

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was Vince already concerned about copyrights in ‘86? Otherwise, my wild guess is he thought Dory was too feminine of a name. That’s dumb enough of a reason in my mind for Vince’s psyche.

JN News

Integral Poster
Reaction score
LOL!

I just watched an interview segment on WWF Prime Time Wrestling with then WWF announcer, Ken Resnick and the Hart Foundation and they mentioned the definition of a girl dog, which happens to be the word "bitch". They actually say the word, "bitch" on that show and that was LONG before the Attitude Era.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Dory is just the most Dory looking guy of all time. Also the least Hoss looking guy of all time. Like if you looked at Terry and got told his name was Hoss, you'd be inclined to believe it. Dory is just a Dory.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Any truth to the rumor that Savage was close to re-signing with WWF in 1996 and was going to be the mystery man on Team Savio at the Suvivor Series but when it fell through, that's when they decided on Snuka?

With the way that match went, I'm happy Savage didn't return in that mess.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There were absolutely rumors that Savage was going to leave WCW. That's why he put Hogan over so strongly at Halloween Havoc '96 cause people thought it might be his last match for WCW.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I was fucking hyped for Savage coming back and was sure he was the mystery man at Survivor Series. Never got more let down.

I seriously think that above all else Savage not coming in in 1996 is what got him blackballed. I'm willing to bet Savage told Vince he was coming in (with Slim Jim) and then bailed the second WCW offered more money.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

The 90s were a wild time. Gotta love Goldust turning face by admitting he wasn't really gay.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's amazing how quickly that homophobia became persona non gratae inducing behavior in the mainstream. Like 10 years ago, "no homo" was a relatively acceptable thing for straight dudes to say. I guess things did change overnight when gay marriage was legalized in 2015.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The implication that four of these meaty guys all piled into that tiny sports car wearing their suits and got out just to awkwardly pose always amused me.

Maybe a private plane would have fit the gimmick but who am I to question the artistic vision.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really like the big beats of the Evolution angle and it was kind of Triple H redeeming himself after reign of terror (even if it was in kind of a transparent, disingenuous feeling way) but man have I never really felt the urge to watch the mid '00s RAWs I missed during the lapse in my fandom.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The implication that four of these meaty guys all piled into that tiny sports car wearing their suits and got out just to awkwardly pose always amused me.

Maybe a private plane would have fit the gimmick but who am I to question the artistic vision.
No homo

JN News

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How did the Federal Government find out that Vince McMahon and the WWF was making all the wrestlers like Hogan, Savage, Warrior, etc. take steroids? Did someone blow the whistle on Vince, or what? What happened there?

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
William Dunn (strength and conditioning coach for the University of Virginia and major steroid and painkiller user) got busted doctor shopping and tried to get a lighter sentence by giving up the name of one doctor who he knew was dealing drugs - George Zahorian. After Congress passed the Anti-Substance Abuse Act of 1988 the FBI started paying a lot more attention to steroid dealing, so they subpoenaed Zahorian's FedEx records and found frequent shipments to Vince, Hogan, Piper and other WWF wrestlers - some to hotels in cities the WWF was traveling to and some at Titan Tower. Dunn also started wearing a wire when he bought from Zahorian and eventually the feds raided his office, finding the doctor in the act of shredding receipts with Piper's and Lord Al Hayes's name on them. From there they started building a case against Zahorian and that led them to start investigating Vince.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I can't imagine Patterson's greatness balances out Garea's dullness. But I do not care for Garea.

Billy White Wolf is the dark horse MVP of these rankings. Fighting for Iraqi Native Americans everywhere.

JN News

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At WCW Halloween Havoc 1995, Kamala was supposed to face Randy Savage with The Zodiac in his corner. Apparently, something happened and Macho Man ended up facing Zodiac. What happened there and why was the match changed on such short notice?

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Kamala quit WCW because he was only making $500 a night, or $800 for a PPV. He didn't think it was worth it to get squashed by Savage. He was making more money driving a truck.

JN News

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What was the story behind Jerry Lawler getting indicted in November of 1993 before the Survivor Series that year?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6