Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions 2022

JN News

The Franchise of Culture Crossfire.
Reaction score
I'm afraid to ask this question. But is it wrong for me to still be fan of the Four Horsemen line-up of Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Brian Pillman, & Chris Benoit, despite the fact that Benoit is a murderer? I still enjoyed their matches before Pillman decided to jump to the WWF in the summer of 1996.

JN News

Reaction score
A couple of question about the late, great WWE Hall of Famer, Nick Bockwinkle.

1.I know he worked for Vince for a while when he did some commentary with Gorilla Monsoon at various WWF house shows that were televised for the WWE Old School shows on the WWEN. Did he also work as a road agent, as well?

2.What led Bockwinkle to leave WCW before WCW Monday Nitro came around the corner?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
A couple of question about the late, great WWE Hall of Famer, Nick Bockwinkle.

1.I know he worked for Vince for a while when he did some commentary with Gorilla Monsoon at various WWF house shows that were televised for the WWE Old School shows on the WWEN. Did he also work as a road agent, as well?

2.What led Bockwinkle to leave WCW before WCW Monday Nitro came around the corner?
1> Yes. He is seen at the Rumble 89 taking a bump for the Warrior during a schmozz. He was also apparently on drug test dick watching duty.

2 - I reviewed a Bock shoot for CXF. The answer may lie within.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

JN News

Reaction score
What was it that led to the late, great wrestling Hall of Famer, Harley Race leaving WCW? Did he just decide to retire from the wrestling business, altogether?

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
He got in a car accident in early '95 and was hurt so they fired him.

JN News

Reaction score
You can have your opinions and feelings about anything you want, don’t let internet bullies tell you otherwise.
Then, I believe that Bret Hart is the greatest wrestler of all time, and the Hart Foundation is the greatest faction in WWF History.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well most of them are dead now so I guess DOA really did win the feud then

JN News

Reaction score
Ironically enough, both Brian Pillman & Chris Benoit were said to be having serious problems in real life before their deaths. Pillman had his problems with his ankle when it had to be fused into one position and Benoit just couldn't get over the death of his best friend, Eddie Guerrero, which led to the Benoit family tragedy.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"Tag teams you never knew existed"

Doug Gilbert and Dennis Condrey formed another version of the "New" Midnight Express in Florida in late 1989.

--
Paul Heyman was telling the dirt sheets in March of 1988 that he was likely going to the WWF in after WM 4.

I'm sure New York was his dream job, but I'm not sure where he fits in the cartoon world that has a glut of managers already. It also robs JCP of the Midnights vs Midnights, that at least got over in the short term before Condrey got pissy and quit again.

Pumpkin Spice Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He wasn't just a normal 23 year old rook though. He had already booked the NWF (I think that's the name of tertiary promotion he booked in '86ish) and made something out of an absolute go nowhere territory. I'd like to think even a grizzled vet like Bill Eadie would grow to trust his instincts quickly but who knows?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He wasn't just a normal 23 year old rook though. He had already booked the NWF (I think that's the name of tertiary promotion he booked in '86ish) and made something out of an absolute go nowhere territory. I'd like to think even a grizzled vet like Bill Eadie would grow to trust his instincts quickly but who knows?
Plus you get the fun of plucking another AWA guy from Verne. (Although I believe Heyman was already moving on to booking Continental with Gilbert by spring of 88.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Heyman was great in the Midnights vs Midnights feud and that was on a biggish stage. I think he'd do fine with Demolition. But we'd lose out on the iconic post-turn promo where "their britches got too big for them."

Valeyard

Burn
Reaction score
Besides it's Paul Heyman. He could've talked his way into just about anything, especially then.

Actually you know who Heyman probably would've really fit with, besides Demolition? Rick Martel.

Pumpkin Spice Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
People talk about WWF in 1988 being overloaded with managers but there's not a single Jimmy Hart, Fuji or Frenchy Martin guy that wouldn't improve under the tutelage of Heyman. Heenan was the only guy better than Heyman then and I think having a young smartass would have even lit a fire under Brain to step up his game.

Valeyard

Burn
Reaction score
Heenan might've welcomed it. Given that Heenan would be done in a couple years I could see him wanting a good heel in his place. Like, for example, who would you rather manage Perfect: Heyman or the Coach?

Valeyard

Burn
Reaction score
Also with Heyman in the WWF talk, I think he would've been a way better fit than Cornette. Paul E. as the American spokesperson for Yokozuna just feels so right to me. Sure ECW as we know it doesn't happen and the business probably limps to a mainstream death in 1996 but the "salt to the eyes, phone to the head, Banzai!" finish could be worth it.

Laz

Reaction score
Also with Heyman in the WWF talk, I think he would've been a way better fit than Cornette. Paul E. as the American spokesperson for Yokozuna just feels so right to me. Sure ECW as we know it doesn't happen and the business probably limps to a mainstream death in 1996 but the "salt to the eyes, phone to the head, Banzai!" finish could be worth it.
Alternatively, since Cornette was on the WWF booking team around that time, and Heyman's in his place in this alternate universe, it stands to reason that Paul E would've had a little more sway in how things got done. I'm not saying we would've gotten Attitude earlier or a higher production ECW, but things probably look different on TV if Heyman is in the writers room.