Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions 2022

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I think there's definitely an edge. I don't think it becomes peak ECW, but it definitely becomes something akin to ECW in 1993 with the comparatively wacky characters and innovative work. He'd go to bat for younger guys and definitely bring in others from WCW. Maybe Foley comes in a couple years early, or Rude jumps and avoids injury, or we get the Hollywood Blondes instead of the Quebecers. I know for sure he'd make Bret/Owen next level.

Later on? I mean, the only one who could successfully work with Russo is Heyman and I'll die on that hill.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm sure Heyman has absolutely no regrets about his time running ECW but every interview I've watched or read with him from past decade, he seems like he'd wished he worked for WWE a lot earlier.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I'm sure Heyman has absolutely no regrets about his time running ECW but every interview I've watched or read with him from past decade, he seems like he'd wished he worked for WWE a lot earlier.
He's a worker. Like when TNA was flirted with him and Heyman had a whole BS spiel about ISO options and shit being part of his possible contract.
I'm sure he loves the paycheck, but at the same time he knows where his bread is buttered. If HHH fires him tomorrow and he moves on to AEW, he'd have a whole rap ready for any media scrum about how AEW was the Genesis of modern wrestling or some shit.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He's one of the most adaptable people in wrestling, for sure and he is a hell of a talker (con man) but I do think on some level, he did always dream of ending up in the New York territory. Especially considering he spent so much of his childhood and young adult years hanging out at MSG.

When he appears on the early '90s John Arezzi shows, he isn't quick to bash WWF (unless it's an easy target like Warrior) like most of the WCW talent does when someone brings up the competition.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Heyman's respect for the WWF (and Vince) always shone through. In ECW, even before the working relationship, he instilled in the locker room that going to the WWF wasn't the worst thing one could do...but fuuuuuck WCW and Bischoff.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was either on Austin's or Jericho's podcast where Heyman said the wwf wanted him to come in and take over Heenan's spot when Bobby stopped managing but Jim Herd wouldn't let him out of his contract. This would have been early/mid 91 when Paul E was all over wcw tv.

Who knows if it's true but like mentioned earlier Heyman did not fit the mold of what the wwf was looking for at the time.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
74 Zero vs Brisco
75 Zero (Brisco was champ until Dec)
76 1 vs Funk
2 in 77 (Both in Stampede vs Race for Calgary Stampede week of "Supercards")
1978 2
1979: vs Race
01/01Atlanta, GAAndre the Giant

01/07Houston, TXAndre the Giant
02/11Orlando, FLAndre the GiantL (DQ)
02/14Hollywood, FLAndre the GiantD (DCOR)
02/15Tallahassee, FLAndre the Giant
07/02Fayetteville, NCAndre the GiantD (DDQ)
08/16Mobile, ALAndre the GiantD (DCOR)
4 more in 80
0 in 81
0 in 82
1 in 83

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
Harley Race was so good.

He is also the subject of "You're So Vain."

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Armstrong Alley uncovered yet another failed attempt at trying to regain the Mid South audience. This time from 1992. Glancing at this, it has Terry Funk doing PBP (!) and a version of the Rock N Roll Express featuring Robert Gibson and Bob Holly. So Bob can say he was in the RNR Express and Midnight Express. *dodges tennis racket swung by @BruiserBrody *

Valeyard

Reaction score
I gotta dive into those shows, I'm just afraid I'll never sleep again if I do. It's a compelling service he's doing.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pretty sure I've read about this before but didn't know there was video of it. From summer 2002, after Raw goes off the air: Booker T, Rock, HHH, and Vince, one-by-one, try to get Undertaker to do a spinnaroonie.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Sullivan was so fucking good. His blinding Dusty's sister is a masterpiece.

Dandy

Reaction score
I think an modern update on that angle would be pretty good. Similar to Seymour Skinner on The Simpsons. Could be a fun mid-card storyline.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I think an modern update on that angle would be pretty good. Similar to Seymour Skinner on The Simpsons. Could be a fun mid-card storyline.
That storyline wasn’t even well received on the Simpsons!

Edit: but Kevin Owens should come out and claim Elias is back and bring out some shlub with a beard to be wish.com Elias.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That storyline wasn’t even well received on the Simpsons!
Has The Simpsons reached a point where people are waxing nostalgic about the seasons at the beginning of the decline (like how some WWE fans wax nostalgic about the Ruthless Aggression era?)

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWF @ Binghampton, NY - Broome County Arena - November 2, 1997 (matinee) (3,177)
The original line up included Steve Austin vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley, with WWF European Champion Shawn Michaels the guest referee, Goldust vs. Brian Pillman, and Vader vs. the Interrogator
Brian Christopher defeated Scott Taylor
The Truth Commission defeated Blackjack Windham & Blackjack Bradshaw
Jesse Jammes defeated Salvatore Sincere
Brakkus defeated the Jackyl
The Interrogator defeated Flash Funk
Kane defeated Vader
Crush, Chainz, Sull, & 8-Ball defeated Savio Vega, Miguel Perez, Jesus Castillo, & Jose Estrada

Imagine paying to see Austin and HBK, only to get the Truth Commission in 43% of the card.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
What was the thought process of bringing Backlund back in '92? Did they just want a veteran on hand? His smiling babyface character didn't really get over even though it led to a brilliant heel turn a few years later.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The John Arezzi podcast just covered Bob Backlund returning to WWF. Interestingly, he came in July '92 for a few weekends of house shows and they didn't bring him in cause he didn't get the reaction they wanted from him. Four months later and a massive roster turnover later, they had second thoughts!

I think they wanted a solid, dependable veteran to shore up the undercard and I think they wanted an antidote to the wacky Papa Shango types. It also didn't hurt that he was a clean living, goody two shoe in a time that WWE was ridden with sex & drugs scandals. Plus I doubt he cost that much considering his resume.