Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions Thread 2020-21

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score

One of my favorite wrestling videos ever.
Karl Davis is a name I keep coming across when I research old school wrestlers. Real solid old school heel. Never seen him referred to as "Cowboy Karl" though, his most common moniker was "Krippler."

It also strikes me in a lot of old school commentary (which is newsreels added after the fact) that announcers are clearly taking a piss on professional wrestling. And wink, wink, we know it's staged.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It always felt like they were in on the joke, or that they knew the score. But it was an open secret, I thought. You just didn't admit it or it wasn't fun, like Santa Claus. Commentary on any Gorgeous George match is pretty much tongue in cheek, but then there's no way you can say "he's giving out his Georgie-pins" with a straight face.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Oh god.

I've been getting nostalgic for the glory of 2002.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

Oh man, you don't know how happy Young Epic was when Holly won the Intercontinental title from the dastardly Double J! I was PISSED when they overturned the decision. Probably the most forgettable Dusty Finish ever.

until you remember they did a similar finish a year later with Savio Vega and Goldust!

Valeyard

Reaction score
I was pissed too. It felt like forever since something happened on TV like that. I hated Jarrett SO much that I just wanted him to lose to anyone, as well.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not going to lie when I first scrolled past this on Twitter, I thought "Wow. Cory Booker looks spent after this election."

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Watching Billy Gunn wrestle with his son in AEW made me ponder this: are there any examples of father/son tag teams in wrestling? I'm not talking one-offs or a few matches here or there, I'm thinking two guys who teamed regularly in the tag division. Can't think of any at the moment but I'm sure there's one staring me in the face.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bob Orton teamed with Randy regularly during the Undertaker feud (including a handicap casket match at No Mercy ‘05) and that is what led to that hepatitis blood scandal but I wouldn’t count them as a full time tag team.

Bob & Brad Armstrong teamed together a few times over the years but I don’t know if they were ever a regular team. @BruiserBrody ?

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Those jobber dudes that got destroyed at that one Clash Of The Champions by The Miracle Violence Connection. It was a father/son duo called The O'Day's I believe and I think the announcers were saying that they've tagged together for a while.

There had to be a lot of father/son regular teams in Memphis and the other Southern territories.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember the Putskis teamed up at least once on TV but I don't know for sure how regular it was as my non-WWF/WCW viewing was verrrry spotty in my childhood days.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I vaguely recall a Jerry Lawler and Brian Christopher Vs Scott & Ivan Putski match on RAW in ‘97.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Bob Orton Jr. actually teamed more with his own father, mostly in Florida around 1976. Wrestlingdata.com has about 100 matches with the two.

Gino and Leo Garibaldi are probably the most notable. Famous wrestling family of the golden era of wrestling. Gino was a veteran, Leo ended up becoming the owner/booker of Los Angeles wrestling. Gino's brother Chick died after a match with Bruno Sammartino at Madison Square Garden.

Larry O'Dea teaming with his son looks like a one shot deal. Jeff O'Dea never did much else in wrestling. Larry was known for teaming with Ron Miller as the Australians, famous around the 1970s.

Not digging in too deep, but I imagine there are quite a few father/son duos in Mexico, where tag wrestling is frequent and old wrestlers tend to stick around a long time.