Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions Thread 2020-21

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Steiners and Money Inc were able to work around those limitations in at least one great match. IRS wasn't that far removed from his Varsity Club run with the Steiners and could still take some suplexes but with DiBiase's neck, they lost half of their stuff. But at Summerslam Spectacular 1993 they had one of the best TV cage matches of all time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWE also subtly but horribly neutered The Steiner Brothers characters. I never realized it until last time I rewatched a '93 PPVs but they essentially turned them into Steiner Brothers Babies. They went from badasses to dorks.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yep. Not unlike the Road Warriors a couple years previous. Maybe the two greatest teams ever and they managed to screw both up within a half decade. And it's weird because the WWF was good at tag team wrestling in the 80s.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like the LOD share some of the (if not as much) blame to how crappy their WWF (and later WCW) runs were. After 1989, they just didn't seem to give a damn and gave off huge "When does this check clear?" energy.

And it was just a bad fit. WWE didn't know how to book bad asses properly until Brock Lesnar and they didn't even get him consistently right until 2014!

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think the Road Warriors really wanted to go to the WWF in the first place, but money talks and that's what they were about. They could have been a good fit—their facepaint and spiked shoulder pads work within the early '90s WWF cartoon fantasy land—but the LOD's uncontrollable badass vibe that was awesome in the NWA didn't quite come across in the McMahon glitz & glamour product. Although the Road Warriors were my favorite tag team as an '80s wrestling fan, even I had to admit that there wasn't anything left for them to do after adding the WWF tag team titles to their resume.

They screwed up with a lot of guys in the early '90s WWF—the Road Warriors, Dusty, Flair, Kerry Von Erich, the Steiners, and basically anyone who'd gotten over and drawn money elsewhere before coming to New York. Although there are exceptions, that hasn't changed for the most part since.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't see how much better WWF could have done with Dusty. yeah the polka dot stuff was poison to old timers but dude was in his mid forties and really needed to be somewhere other than Atlanta after ruining JCP. He got a couple good years of being a B show main eventer to end his active in-ring career. Could've been better but could've been a lot worse.

Kerry Von Erich was more cooked than a Five Guys patty. Yeah he would have been a lot better off going to WCW in 1990 but I feel like he might've died even earlier. And honestly, in retrospect, a two year run including a cup of coffee with IC Title, is probably a lot better than you'd expect from a '90s Kerry Von Erich run in WWF.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
LOD were the only act legit on the same level as Hogan and Warrior. They should've gotten treated as such from the beginning. That's all there really is to it. I refuse to believe cool heel LOD mowing people down and working on top would fail in any sense. It still could have worked out if they really wanted it to but I blame Vince completely.

Dusty had nothing left to offer however I will stand firm in saying him never getting a spot as Hogan's best friend of the month was a big mistake. Hogan and Dusty vs Bravo and Quake or something would've made huge money in the south and be worth any headache. I also have just now realized a Dusty and Tugboat vs Dibiase and Virgil run would have been awesome based solely on Dusty saying "Toot toot baby!" in promos.

Kerry shouldn't have been hired in the first place but it was likely just a pity hire/squeeze all the money out of the guy while he's alive hire. Kerry was a known liability from day one and bless him had no reason being near a mic in 1981 let alone 1991. But that run wasn't as bad as it could've been, he had some fun stuff with Hennig and a few tag team matches. But as a draw he didn't have a leg to stand on.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When we went back to school that Sept. in 6th grade we were all psyched that KVE was in the WWF. We fantasy booked him all the way to the world title. We were so naive

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't mind Dusty in the WWF and don't really have much of an issue with his run there in retrospect. I just found everything about it embarrassing at the time, from the intro vignettes to the polka dots to the valet named after an Amos 'n' Andy character. Dusty was the American Dream! He'd been through hard times! He was a three-time NWA world champion and deserved better than polka dots, dammit! Fortunately, the Dweem was able to make chicken salad out of chicken shit live and in public, if you weeeeel. Those intro videos have aged well too; I watch them all in succession every few years and laugh. Dusty was at least talented enough to make a bad idea work.

Hogan/Dusty would have been a fantastic tag team for a house show run and a SNME match against whatever heel team from the time you wanted, be it Bravo/Quake or DiBiase/Virgil or whoever.

As for Kerry Von Erich...well, we know what we know about him now, but I certainly had no clue that he was a drug addict with a prosthetic foot by the time he showed up in the WWF. I just wanted the Von Erichs to get out of World Class and see how they'd stack up against better competition. Never liked that the WWF stripped him of his identity by dubbing him the Texas Tornado and not hyping his second-generation status. Without the name, the story, and the moves, Kerry Von Erich is just another guy on the roster and nothing special. Whether or not he could go in the ring was a whole other thing altogether.

My thing was that out of my friends who were fans circa 1990-91, I was the only one who watched non-WWF wrestling and read the Apter mags and such. I was always stoked when ex-territory guys would come aboard the WWF; I'd tell my friends that so-and-so was a great wrestler and just wait until you see what he can do now that he's big time...and within a few months, they'd usually ask me when so-and-so was going to prove that they were as great as I'd said they were.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, there should've been at least one Hogan/Dusty tag team match on tv. A SNME, one of those MSG things, a Prime Time main event, whatever. That's another thing they were doing frequently just a few years before with Hogan/Andre, Hogan/Piper, Andre/JYD, etc.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hogan was a Dusty fan too, dating back to when Hulk was just a fan hanging out at Fort Hesterly Armory. My only guess as to why it never happened was because Hulk Hogan was shook at the idea of being outshined by Big Dust.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Despite being a big Dusty fan, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hogan's insecurity had something to do with no America's Team with Hulk/Dream. Tugboat seemed to fill the role of the Hulkster's occasional tag team partner role during that time instead, which was far less interesting. Then again, it wasn't like Tugboat was any threat to Hogan's status at all. Dusty might have dominated the mic time if he and Hogan were in the same room together with Mean Gene. Both Hogan and Vince would have likely wanted the Dweem kept far, far away from the Hulkster.

I wasn't too crazy about the WWF in the early '90s and a lot of it had to do with their treatment of ex-NWA/WCW stars, among other things.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s no wonder wrestling went into a deep decline (and ECW started) after the assy ‘90-‘91 from WWF and WCW. I feel like the early ‘90s was a great opportunity for WCW to close the gap and somehow they managed to be an even worse version of WWF (all while losing a lot of their top stars to them!)

Valeyard

Reaction score
A very brief time with Hogan and Dusty teaming up seems like it'd work for everyone. Hogan is teaming up with a past his prime legend he's a fan of in a situation where Dusty would be his sidekick, looking inferior in literally every way next to Hogan. Like no doubt who the star was at that time and place. Promos would probably be pretty easy to do just because of the Hogan and Bro formula: Hogan starts it and ends it to totally overshadow the guy he's with. It'd be much more like teaming with a JYD-type face who was popular but no threat to his spot.

BUT thinking like Hogan and Vince, they see any partner of note always turning on Hogan and a feud going on for six months. Tugboat was a big and Hogan always loved making money with the bigs. Also you add in Vince only hiring Dusty out of spite and didn't ever seem to even like him until any competition was gone, ain't no way he comes near the biggest star on the planet.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My Hulkamaniac status started fading in 1990-91 when he settled into his comfort zone and feuded with guys like Earthquake. His matches had become routine by that point. I was starting to get bored with the same old Hogan bouts that were always a foregone conclusion. By the time I attended WM9, I was a full-fledged Hogan hater who wanted him gone for good. I didn't start to come back around on Hogan until maybe 2008 or whenever that anthology set came out with the bonus disc featuring the Terry Funk SNME match.

Bright spots were few and far between in the early '90s, both in the WWF and WCW. WCW blew so many opportunities to build an amazing roster that destroyed the WWF's stale cartoonish cliche approach to wrestling, but couldn't get out of their own way or establish a consistent vision for their product. Reading about the behind-the-scenes details that I wasn't privy to at the time is so frustrating.

ECW was a breath of fresh air but being on the West Coast, I could only read about it in the magazines once their coverage became more detailed. I'd watch cruiserweight matches on Nitro and see them regularly doing revolutionary shit in the ring that I'd never seen before. I hoped that ECW's product was as good as what the luchadores and Japanese guys were doing—little did I know that most of them had wrestled there first.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've always felt Hogan became unbearable after WM 6. That's when I completely turned on him. Same interview. Same match. Also the announcers constantly talking about how great he was became super annoying

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
TIL that Jim Cornette’s birthday is the same day as the anniversary of Bobby Herman’s death (yesterday).

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There'd still be a WWE New York today if they would've just forced Lita to do Live Sex Celebrations there.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
This thread kind of makes me want to rewatch the first few seasons of Tough Enough and relive the days when Tazz was mad at rookie wrestlers instead of birds and school buses parked on his street.

On September 12th, 1998, ECW wrestler Peter Senerchia better known as Taz was arrested for before a wrestling show in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He was charged with corruption of a minor and indecent exposure after allegedly exposing himself to a 15-year-old female at a local tanning salon.

Valeyard

Reaction score
EeXmgNXWoAAASgv.jpg