Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Thread: Nintendo, SNES, Genesis, N64, Playstation 1 and more

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
That big digitized pic of Hogan on the title screen was one of the most mind-blowing things I had seen up to that point. I didn’t even like wrestling yet and I still wanted the game when I saw it on Gamepro TV. I did play the (superior overall but not in graphics) Genesis version on actual hardware but I didn’t play the SNES version until 2001 on an emulator. It sucks ass. No championship mode, no finishers.

Edit: I was thinking I made a post a while ago where I said the exact same stuff and here you go:

Super WrestleMania on SNES was the most mindblowing shit I had ever seen when they showed it on GamePro TV. At the time I was a huge mark for any game with digitized graphics and Super WM started with this very impressive photo of the Hulkster, plus crystal-clear pics of all the wrestlers in the game on the select screen. I thought the in-game graphics were pretty cool too. What I didn't realize since I never played it on an actual SNES was that the game is unfinished. There are no finishing moves and no championship mode, so every match is an exhibition. I did however play the Genesis version since my brother's friend had it and we borrowed the system and game for a while. It had the same Hogan pic on the title screen but due to the Genesis's limited color palette it kinda looked like crap, and I never felt that this was the same magical game that I had seen JD Roth talking up on GamePro TV. However, due to the fact that it does have finishing moves and a simple championship mode, I can declare it one of the few multiplatform 16-bit games where the Genesis version is unequivocally better than its SNES counterpart.

I played Royal Rumble soon after it was released thanks to another of my brother's friends and was very impressed with it (it had even bigger digitized photos than its predecessor!), but I didn't own it until almost two years after it came out by which time Raw had been released, but it was OK because I preferred the Rumble roster anyway, and Raw wasn't nearly the improvement over Rumble that Rumble was over Super WM. Raw should have at least had cage matches.

Allow me to say that it was a huge missed opportunity to not include the classic Wrestlemania and Royal Rumble themes in the SNES games named after those events.