Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Oscars 2021

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Anthony Hopkins (who hasn't shown up to a ceremony in like 10 years) wins Best Actor. A nice "thank you" to cap off his career.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They were clearly hoping for Boseman to win best actor and have it end with a big celebration but instead Anthony Hopkins won and he wasn't even there so the show just ended. Oops.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What a clusterfuck of an ending. My only assumption for putting Best Actor last was they thought Boseman was winning. Not to say Hopkins was undeserving but between that and the rushed in memoriam not exactly a stellar ending.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That was somehow more surreal than Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway blowing the finish to Best Picture in 2017.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Is Hopkins' win the biggest gap of time between Oscar wins ever? He won his last award 29 years ago.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's got to be one of the least watched best actor winners as well since no one saw it in theaters and it wasn't streaming anywhere.

Last edited:

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Is Hopkins' win the biggest gap of time between Oscar wins ever? He won his last award 29 years ago.
Offhand the biggest gap that always pops in my head, for acting anyways, was Helen Hayes going four decades between Sin of Madelon Claudet (lead, 1931) and Airport (supporting, 1970)

Kinda funny because I remember thinking it was a long time for McDormand between Fargo and when she won for Three Billboards a couple years back, and that was only half of Hayes' gap

EDIT: I see Katherine Hepburn went 34 years between her first lead actress win for Morning Glory and #2 for Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and similar to McDormand she went b2b winning her third a year later

Last edited:

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nomadland is a thousand times better than 3 Billboards, so I'm glad she won for a movie that was actually good this time.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oscars ratings could hit Impact levels next year and they are still going to milk the big mainstream show out until they hit the 100th anniversary. Then they'll throw it on whatever the third-biggest streaming platform is and like three years later teens will find it and treat it like some kind of cult classic they have to revive.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They deserve the bad ratings for so many reasons, but a big one is the decision to not have clips of the movies while the nominees are announced for the acting awards. Other categories need clips or even still images as well like Costume Design or Makeup. I think outside of Doc and Picture, none of the categories had clips.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Yeah, so I did watch, and I concur that the lack of clips from the films themselves was a big issue, as well as how the presenters kind of just kissed ass to the nominees more than just present the noms normally. It just was too outside the box. Overall, the show just did not flow well at all, and found myself fast forwarding a TON of stuff. It's no shock this year saw a huge drop. Time to go back to the drawing board next year, but I think they need to return back to the roots of things instead of branching too far off into too many polarizing directions like they did this year.

Generally, the winners were the right choices though at least. I cant argue with best picture, director, etc. How often did they NOT end the show with best picture? I thought maybe that was the wrong choice. But Hopkins winning was the right move, his performance in the Father was so powerful to me with a dad myself who seems to be getting dementia a bit, so that hit me hard. Nomadland had a good run too, as I expected. I loved Minari and I thought that could have easily been best picture too, the rest were a step below those two.

The only real one that stood out in disgreement with was Promising Young Women winning best original screenplay. Minari or Sound of Metal should have taken that one home.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I know no one saw the movie, but Hopkins legit gives one of his best performances in The Father. I was skeptical before I saw it because, I thought his nom for The Two Popes was him getting nominated just because he's old and been around forever. But, in The Father he's showing some sides of his acting I have never seen before and really gives a powerful performance. I think I found Boseman's just a little better, but it's a deserving performance. Best Actor was pretty stacked this year with Boseman, Ahmed, and Hopkins all giving performances I thought were better than a few of the recent winners of the award.

The Father is in that space with Amour where it's a great film, but so emotionally exhausting that I'll probably just watch it once.

Last edited:

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know if it was me, but it felt like the same 5 movies were nominated for every category and just split the awards. I'm not a big award show guy, my girlfriend loves them, but I was so bored.