Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Pantera set to tour in 2023

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even for the already sleazy world of hard rock & metal, this feels cynical and gross. Phil didn't want anything to do with Pantera while the Abbott Brothers were still alive (and Dime & Vinnie wanted nothing to do with him) but now that the brothers have been dead for a few years and everyone needs money (including Dime & Vinnie's estates, I'm assuming), they wanted to maintain the band's legacy. Ya huh.

There's rumors that Zakk Wylde is going to fill in but I can't imagine even a neanderthal such as him would want to subject himself to all of the criticism that's going to come with this tour.

Edit- Looks like Charlie Benante is rumored drummer. That group would probably draw if you didn't call it Pantera! I just don't get it but whatever.

Last edited:

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Before Vinnie died, there were rumors for a more proper reunion with either Zakk Wylde or Kerry King filling guitar duties but the idea was killed after he passed. I don't think Phil was on totally bad terms with the brothers (at least not Vinnie) but only having the singer and the least notable member (Sorry Rex) just seems like a waste of time. Just do a Down reunion!!!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Down hasn't broken up though!

Vinnie & Phil were estranged until Vinnie died and Vinnie partly blamed Dime's death on Phil, which is mostly irrational tbh but I guess everyone processes grief differently.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Rex left Down 10 years ago so a "classic line-up" reunion is what should have happened.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Between the Motley Crue this summer and the Pantera reunion next year, I'm afraid these reunion tours are just going to get more cynical and gross from here on out. I shudder to think what grab tours we're going to get in the next 5-10 years. A VH reunion with Wolfie switching to guitar and bringing Michael Anthony, DLR, and Sammy Hagar back?

Yeah, a Down reunion would have more integrity but it's not going to draw a quarter of what this Pantera reunion

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even for the already sleazy world of hard rock & metal, this feels cynical and gross. Phil didn't want anything to do with Pantera while the Abbott Brothers were still alive (and Dime & Vinnie wanted nothing to do with him) but now that the brothers have been dead for a few years and everyone needs money (including Dime & Vinnie's estates, I'm assuming), they wanted to maintain the band's legacy. Ya huh.

There's rumors that Zakk Wylde is going to fill in but I can't imagine even a neanderthal such as him would want to subject himself to all of the criticism that's going to come with this tour.

Edit- Looks like Charlie Benante is rumored drummer. That group would probably draw if you didn't call it Pantera! I just don't get it but whatever.
I guess it is official. I’d feel a lot better if they picked another name.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is not Pantera in any way shape or form. This is a lame cash in... it's gonna be a no from me dawg.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm surprised Zakk Wylde would want to do something like this beyond one or two memorial shows. Not that touring with Ozzy at this stage is the height of dignity but for some reason, I expected better!

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I thought Gus G was the Ozzy guitarist now?

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
It's funny how people will call this a cash grab, which it might be, but go see whatever 80s/90s tour featuring 0 original members of the whatever band. I see no issue with this. It's also not like they're bringing in 2 schlubs to play with them. If someone is a big Pantera fan and hasn't seen them live before and they want to see this show, that's awesome. If the band sounds good during the show, even better. The hypocrisy of music fans always makes me laugh.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I agree with you to some extent. I think if this was called anything other than Pantera, most metal fans would be stoked to see this lineup.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
It's funny how people will call this a cash grab, which it might be, but go see whatever 80s/90s tour featuring 0 original members of the whatever band. I see no issue with this. It's also not like they're bringing in 2 schlubs to play with them. If someone is a big Pantera fan and hasn't seen them live before and they want to see this show, that's awesome. If the band sounds good during the show, even better. The hypocrisy of music fans always makes me laugh.
I dunno. A Quiet Riot tour is a little different because Kevin DuBrow wasn't executed on stage by somebody taking Rudy Sarzo's angry interviews too seriously.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I think that is the problem with it. There’s a lot of bands with no original members but Pantera is only one who had a member killed partly due to band drama.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's the main problem with it IMO. Megadeth and Ted Nugent still tour every year. Not saying that the racism isn't the worst part but I think the fact that him and the Abbott Brothers hated each others' guts is biggest overriding fact for Pantera fans.

Also it's Pantera fans...the white supremacy might not be a factor at all for a lot of them...

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
After the shooting took place, it was assumed that Gale had been motivated by Pantera's breakup, with initial reports claiming that he had shouted, "You broke up Pantera", or "This is for breaking up Pantera" before opening fire, statements never corroborated by Alrosa Villa attendees.[32] Others cited a Metal Hammer interview with Anselmo that had been published shortly before the shooting, where Anselmo said that Abbott "deserves to be beaten severely".[33] Investigators found no evidence that Gale had been motivated either by Pantera's split or by the dispute between Abbott and Anselmo,[19][34] and were unable to find evidence that Gale had read the interview.[33]

Standing 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) and weighing 266 lb (121 kg), Gale decided to take up boxing and American football after his military discharge.[26] He joined the Lima Thunder, a semi-professional football team in northwest Ohio, as an offensive lineman, and would listen to Pantera before games.[27] Gale, a lifelong fan of heavy metal, became obsessed with Pantera while he was in high school, and remained fixated on the band even after their 2003 breakup.[28] Gale's former friend Dave Johnson told reporters that Gale had shown up at a mutual friend's house with Pantera lyrics that he had claimed were his own, and that Gale asserted that Pantera had stolen lyrics from him and were attempting to steal his identity.[29] Many of Gale's friends began to distance themselves from him as his behavior became increasingly erratic; once, he told his former friend Mark Break that God was asking him to kill Marilyn Manson.[26] Others noted that he would talk and laugh to himself, would pretend to hold an imaginary dog, and that he would bother patrons at the tattoo parlor across the street from his apartment, staring at clients and engaging them in conversations about heavy metal music.[26][29]

it seems like a huge reach to blame any existing members for the death of dimebag based on all of the above. this killer was just a genuinely insane person who happened to be fixated on this band.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that the other bands Down share members with (Eyehategod, Corrosion of Conformity and Crowbar) are also better than Pantera. Listened to “Dopesick” recently and shit still goes hard.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Suggested names for Fauxtera:

Anselmo & Company
Spanish for Panther
Vulgar Display of Anselmo

Phil was actually touring with his solo project doing only Pantera covers and this was actually similar to the project's actual name: "Phil Anselmo's Vulgar Dislay of Pantera". They opened for Slayer during their finial tour.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
To play devil's advocate some more, I think it could be a case of this band being dubbed Pantera not being the band's choice. When Donald Fagen wanted to go back on tour after Walter Becker died, he said he wanted to tour as Donald Fagen and The Steely Dan Band but LiveNation would only book the tour if it was called Steely Dan.

I'm gonna pat myself on the back for managing to compare Pantera to Steely Dan.