Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Paul Thomas Anderson's Licorice Pizza

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Trailer premiered last night at the New Beverly Theater in Los Angeles but hasn't shown up online yet. PTA directing a coming of age dramedy set at a '70s record store, Acting debut of Philip Seymour Hoffman's kid, an overacting Bradley Cooper. TOM WAITS. Idk if you could sell me on this movie even more!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's name of a '70s California based record store chain (that was named after an Abbott & Costello line) but none of that means anything anybody here except mayybe Slim (and even that's a stretch).

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
you pumped or what, @Incandenza ?
Me heading to the theater opening day
FAUh-TeVcAYt5yC

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
PTA is on The Bill Simmons Podcast today...which is something I didn't think I'd ever read. Afaik, he doesn't do that many interviews. Is he a big sports fan or something?

"Paul, what player on the '85-'86 Celtics would you compare John C. Reilly to?"

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
He was on Marc Maron's podcast a few years ago promoting Inherent Vice and I just remember the interview being ridiculously long and uninteresting. Not that PTA is an uninteresting dude, just the interview was boring.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This was good, but based on one viewing it felt like a string of really good scenes held together by some rather slight connective tissue. Alana Haim and Cooper Hoffman both knocked it out of the fucking park.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How I know I'm an aging Film Bro is I've seen every PTA film upon its original theatrical release except for Hard Eight.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've also seen every Wes Anderson movie upon its original theatrical release except for Bottle Rocket.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Incredible thing about the trailer for this film is it seems like it tells you the whole story, but then you actually see the film and it plays out in a way completely different from the trailer. Also it's just so beautiful how it's perfectly cut to "Life on Mars?", which appears in the film itself but is not given any special prominence.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You know...I probably should have told my girlfriend about the whole ehebophilia aspect before I made this the date night movie. :oops:

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The age-gap discourse surrounding this film makes sense on an entirely superficial reading of it, but the film also revolves around what a thin line it is between youth and being an adult. It features teens and younger running retail businesses on their own and regularly interacting with adults there and at a popular upper-class bar. It's not operating on any level of reality and even then the only physical contact Gary and Alana have is a relatively chaste kiss.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I approached the film as somewhat of a fantasy but I think people misinterpreted it (and it was kind of mismarketed) as a straight up coming of age drama.