Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

pbone's Indie Alphabet: 'C' is for Cold War Kids

pbone

Something tells me that you want to go home.
Reaction score
C is a bad letter.

C is for Cold War Kids, a quartet outfit out of Southern California, who make really sloppy indie soul blues whatever. Nathan Willett is the lead singer, and he has a face like a brick wall. They like to bang on pots and mason jars and break their cymbals and not keep time. Their debut album is Robbers & Cowards. I don't have much more to say about them, but they're kind of important to show that indie rock isn't all just bullshit crooning.

Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up To Dry

Runners Up!

Cap'n Jazz. Oh, a wonderul little introduction to another messy band, this time out of Chicago. It's the first band out of several dozen from the Kinsella family tree, which would go on to spawn Maritime, Owen, Joan of Arc, Owls, Make Believe, American Football, The Promise Ring, yeah.

cap'n jazz - little league.

Cat Power. A girl with a guitar who had the cover art of her album be the guts of some animal. Hardcore shit, right? She's pretty famous, and she did a good covers album. She's written a billion songs and they're all over the web. Guh. Pretty cuuuuute. Every girl who knows how to play C, F, and G on guitar will try to copy her from now on in.

The Greatest Cat Power

Calexico. I don't know why they're considered indie. It's a band out of Tuscon that has its own mariachi band, but not in a stupid ironic way. Super tight band, Carried To Dust is a p good album, but went underlooked in 2008. Oh well.

"Two Silver Trees" by Calexico

mellow

Integral Poster
Reaction score
pbone said:
Cap'n Jazz. Oh, a wonderful little introduction to another messy band, this time out of Chicago. It's the first band out of several dozen from the Kinsella family tree, which would go on to spawn Maritime, Owen, Joan of Arc, Owls, Make Believe, American Football, The Promise Ring, yeah.

I usually have to keep my mouth shut on this one when I'm around my friends, but I always found CnJ to be overrated when you compare the related works and side projects at the time (e.g. Braid, Friction). Still good, just not my fave. Also, I get to see Owen in a few weeks. I want to buy Mike Kinsella a drink or give him a present or something. He always sounds like he could use some cheering up.

pbone

Reaction score
mellow said:
pbone said:
Cap'n Jazz. Oh, a wonderful little introduction to another messy band, this time out of Chicago. It's the first band out of several dozen from the Kinsella family tree, which would go on to spawn Maritime, Owen, Joan of Arc, Owls, Make Believe, American Football, The Promise Ring, yeah.

I usually have to keep my mouth shut on this one when I'm around my friends, but I always found CnJ to be overrated when you compare the related works and side projects at the time (e.g. Braid, Friction). Still good, just not my fave. Also, I get to see Owen in a few weeks. I want to buy Mike Kinsella a drink or give him a present or something. He always sounds like he could use some cheering up.

I agree, Cap'n Jazz is not my favorite project by them, but it's the first one. I wasn't planning on giving a Kinsella project a headline, so this'll have to do. Have you seen Owen live before? His shows are legendary. One of the funniest guys you'll ever meet. I'm doing an interview with him for a zine pretty soon.

mellow

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Almost saw Owen three years ago in Urbana (opening for the Headlights and Of Montreal), but Mike injured his hand and canceled.

pbone

Reaction score
That's too bad. If you can get him drunk, the show will be infinitely better.