Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random EC F'N W Bullshit

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
somebody start an ECW bullshit thread.

DONE.

I remember the debut of this move was being HYPED for weeks, with a few rumblings about RVD being "nuts" for even attempting a jump that far. Then it was a minor disappointment that it was just a dropkick...across the ring.

I don't think we understood back in 2000 just how often this move would be copied.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Love Metallica's "Devil's Dance" in the background of that commercial.

Laz

Reaction score
The back of that Francine 4:69 shirt read "I Just Licked Your Ass."

And I'd still totally rock that New Jack shirt, writes the guy who happens to be wearing the Triple Threat shirt he got at his first ECW show from November '98.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A lot of it is dated but ECW will always be my "shitty horror movie" equivalent in the wrestling world. Sometimes you don't want to sit there and watch some artistic masterpiece, sometimes you just want to watch garbage.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
You also really can't judge ECW without seeing it in the original form with the original music. Music was such a huge part of ECW. Watching it on Peacock is pointless.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
It’s too bad WWE content didn’t get bought by Disney Plus because I really think they could’ve compensated for ECW’s licensed music issue by replacing all the music with songs from Winnie the Pooh.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You also really can't judge ECW without seeing it in the original form with the original music. Music was such a huge part of ECW. Watching it on Peacock is pointless.
I'm glad for my old rips on DVD

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Beulah vs Fonzie is seriously one of the best matches ECW ever had. It's the best match between non-workers you could ever want.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Beulah/Fonzie was wickedly entertaining to me as a kid. I haven't seen it in full in years but Fonzie had a top 10 all-time blade job in it (other comparable ones are Eddie in '04, Jay Briscoe vs Joe in a cage....and?) and I always loved Styles' call "BEULAH-CANRANA?"

Laz

Reaction score
If talent worked ECW in the same timeframe, odds are they worked each other at least once.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And it looks like that was only time they faced each other. I was confusing it with a Spike Dudley/Funaki house show match I saw in '01.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Since F4W and wrestlingdata failed me in time for the other thread, here's a big ECW card from today in history:

ECW presented Enter Sandman from the ECW Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Highlights of the show aired on ECW Hardcore TV on May 16, May 23, May 30, June 6, and June 13

• Hack Myers defeated Tony Stetson.
  • 911 & The Tazmaniac defeated The Oriental Connection (Hiroyoshi Iekuda & Tsubo Genjin).
  • Axl Rotten defeated Ian Rotten in a barbed wire baseball bat match.
  • Raven & Stevie Richards defeated Mikey Whipwreck & Tommy Dreamer by disqualification when Dreamer used a closed fist. A closed fist in ECW led to a disqualification. The disqualification was handed down by Bill Alfonso, a new referee brought in via petition to the Pennsyvlania State Athletic Commission by Shane Douglas
  • Eddie Guerrero and Dean Malenko fought to a 30-minute time limit draw for the ECW World Television Championship.
  • The Sandman defeated Cactus Jack to retain the ECW World Heavyweight Championship.
  • Eddie Guerrero defeated Marty Jannetty to retain the ECW World Television Championship.
  • The Sandman defeated Shane Douglas to retain the ECW World Heavyweight Championship.
  • The Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge & Rocco Rock) defeated The Pitbulls (Pitbull #1 & Pitbull #2) in a double dog collar match to retain the ECW World Tag Team Championship.
It can't be stated enough how cool all this sounded reading it 2 months behind in the Apter mags. We are entering the Summer of the Dungeon of Doom in WCW (which I didn't hate at the time) and the bleh Diesel Power WWF (Which I was still trying to excuse for largely sucking.)

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll never understand how Bill Alfonso didn't get even get an honorable mention in the 1995 WON Awards for Best Heel, especially with how much the readers seemed to like ECW that year.

Laz

Reaction score
He wasn't even nominated?! Looking back, that was some next-level genius booking, and it led to so much that wound up defining the company.

Fonzie as a heel gives us the 911 chase, which leads to him hiring Taz, which sets forth the Path of Rage (and Taz/Douglas for the TV and World titles), that leads to Fonzie managing Sabu and RVD, that leads to RVD's epic ~2 year reign with the TV title.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He wasn't even nominated?! Looking back, that was some next-level genius booking, and it led to so much that wound up defining the company.

Fonzie as a heel gives us the 911 chase, which leads to him hiring Taz, which sets forth the Path of Rage (and Taz/Douglas for the TV and World titles), that leads to Fonzie managing Sabu and RVD, that leads to RVD's epic ~2 year reign with the TV title.
He may have gotten some votes but he wasn't in the honorable mention for that year, which is amazing. He was hated.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
5/14/93 – ECW in Philadelphia, PA @ the ECW Arena
Road Warrior Hawk defeated The Samoan Warrior & Don E. Allen in a “handicap” match when he defeated both.
Tommy Cairo won a “battle royal” to become the first ECW Pennsylvania Champ.
ECW Tag Champs Chris Candido & Johnny Hotbody defeated Tommy Cairo & Glen Osbourne when Osbourne was pinned.
ECW Champ Don Muraco defeated Mr. Sandman via count out.
Road Warrior Hawk defeated ECW TV Champ Jimmy Snuka via DQ.
ECW Tag Champs Chris Candido & Johnny Hotbody double DQ with The Super Destroyers.
Eddie Gilbert defeated Herve Rinestro in a “chain” match.
Terry Funk defeated The Dark Patriot via DQ.
ECW Champ Don Muraco defeated Tommy Cairo.
The Dark Patriot defeated JT Smith via count out.
Mr. Sandman & Larry Winters defeated Tony Stetson & Rockin’ Rebel when Sandman defeated Rebel.
Sal Bellomo & The Super Destroyers No Contest against Richard Michaels, Chris Candido, & Johnny Hotbody.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The Gilbert Era of ECW is nuts. I love everything about that card. I can hear Jay Sulli trying in vain to be a real announcer.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
5/19/ 1995 - Extreme Championship Wrestling ran Hazelton, PA at St. Joe High School before 225 fans for day one of the "Malenko-Guerrero Classic" weekend, where the competitors would face off in The Best of Three Matches over two days for the ECW World Television championship. In the first bout, reigning champion Eddie Guerrero defeated Dean Malenko. The other results of the card saw:
-Mikey Whipwreck pinned Stevie Richards.
-The Tazmaniac pinned Hack Meyers.
-Shane Douglas defeated Tommy Dreamer.
-Ron Simmons defeated 2 Cold Scorpio.
-Marty Jannetty pinned Raven.
-ECW World Champion the Sandman defeated Cactus Jack.
-ECW World Tag Team Champions The Public Enemy defeated the Pitbull.