Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random TNA Bullshit Vol. 2

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Sandman was always so natural when in backstage segments. Probably because he was always hammered.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was listening to an Impact Wrestling podcast the other day and I was surprised to hear them talk about how Kid Kash had a comeback in 2013 for them as a cranky vet. That was right around the time I really got into TNA and I don't remember that AT ALL.

Kid Kash is a very underrated worker IMO. I feel like if he'd come around 5-10 years earlier, he'd be a Hall of Fame level talent.

Laz

Reaction score
Kid Kash's 2003-2004 heel run is epic. Use your Impact Plus sub to catch it. He is, quite literally, the best part of the show from November 2003 to summer 2004.

Laz

Reaction score
Wicked dumb thing, giving a guy who misses as many spots as Julio a bunch of Hot Topic platform boots and telling him to throw spin kicks.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Yeah I always gave Julio a little leeway because of those boots. He was still really bad but there is no one who could make those work.

D-Lo in the best shape of his fucking life, too. Jesus.

Laz

Reaction score
3LK was awful. From Konnan's accounts, they really were great friends behind the scenes and are still good buddies, but that act was so goddamn lame after a year of Killings being one of the hottest acts in the entire business for pointing out structural racism.

Valeyard

Reaction score
3LK is why Truth's been a joke since. I'm sure that's made his career longer but it's so bittersweet. Truth would've been a hell of a leader for SEX.

Reactions: Laz

Valeyard

Reaction score
Also Konnan's whole point in coming in was to defend lucha libre and keep the white X-Division guys from stealing it more than they had.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My World on Tuesday is gonna be on the start of TNA.

Also I straight up forgot or didn't know that TNA originally stood for Tuesday Night Attitude. Which might be even worse than what we got. Invoking the Attitude Era in the mid '00s is kind of like if you asked a group of high schoolers in 1994 if they liked Whitesnake.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I want to know if there's truth to the comedy Austin gimmick Jarrett wanted to have, just to piss Austin off. If I remember it was Austin Suggs, a character who was a parody and the idea was getting chants of "Austin Suggs" because it sounded like "Austin Sucks" and lol

Laz

Reaction score
BFG 2006 is on a shortlist of the best shows the company ever did. One of the most surprising parts, given today's way of cards going? Not a single match broke 20 minutes, with most in the 11-15 window.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BFG 2006 is on a shortlist of the best shows the company ever did. One of the most surprising parts, given today's way of cards going? Not a single match broke 20 minutes, with most in the 11-15 window.
I feel like that stretch from Spike TV debut in late '05 to some point in 2007 is simultaneously the peak of TNA's relevance and when I knew that they couldn't challenge WWE. A lot of people will misattribute Hogan signing and the faux Monday Night Wars but I don't think that's really the case, even though I would guess they had more viewers in the 2010-11 than the mid '00s. What made WCW challenge WWF in the mid '90s wasn't necessarily Hogan signing or the debut of Nitro but when they got two current WWF main eventers to jump ship.

I thought it was possible for a similar thing to happen when Kurt Angle and to a lesser extent, Christian made the jump. Now they both had good if not great runs in TNA but when they failed to use them in a way that captured the interest of the casual fan, I knew they'd always be a distant #2 even if they signed "bigger" names. Jeff Hardy was arguably the #2 babyface in the US when he returned in 2010 and I immediately knew that nobody would give a damn.

Valeyard

Reaction score
To be fair they made Jeff just kind of wander out while Homicide was stuck in the dome. It was TNA.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Exactly. TNA did an OK job of creating talent but they seemed absolutely clueless when it came to presenting talent that was established elsewhere with the exceptions of Sting, Raven, Angle, and maybe Big Poppa Pump.

Whenever, a big star made the jump, it usually seemed like they were slumming it not that TNA signed a huge star.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They made Christian legit. Didn't get pinned for a year, had good matches, did everything WWE wouldn't let him. The problem with him was when Angle came in it swallowed his momentum, it seems like. Speaking for me I'm way more into the Joe/Angle dream match than anything Christian was doing, even if it was great.

Right when they got Jeff right, he fucked it up. I put that on him.

Saving Steiner's career is huge for them. Went from written off to being maybe the top heel and getting the awesome Joe feud.

I'd argue Nash, too. He busted his ass when he didn't need to. Not a strike hit but good matches for an old Nash

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd argue TNA probably created the idea of Christian being a star. He was on the cusp when he made the jump and TNA was smart enough to push him to the hilt and get him over the next level. First year or so of his TNA run was probably the best run of his singles career up until the Orton feud in 2011.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember being on a high during BFG 06 then most of that was lost the next month when Russo started really indulging in his Russoness with stuff like The Reverse Battle Royal. They also kept running the same top three or four matches every month on every PPV. I think we got 5 Dudleys vs LAX matches on PPV in the first six months of 2007. And four AJ vs Rhino matches.

I absolutely hated Abyss winning the title from Sting on a DQ as well. That whole feud was nonsense which sucked because I was excited for it. I remember kind of liking their first match before Abyss got hung up and the match died before the stupid ending.