Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

RIP Gene LeBell

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This thread could probably go here, MMA or TV/Film
A pioneer in MMA, a legendary stuntman (he was the inspiration for the character Cliff Booth in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, a wrestling promoter, and perhaps most importantly, the guy who allegedly made Steven Seagal poop his pants.

In wrestling, he's most known for helping train "Rowdy" Roddy Piper and reffing Ali Vs Inoki.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I'm surprised Inoki didn't bribe him to work a match in the 70s during the Inoki MMA period.

Some fun stuff in Gene's later career results like working Bad News (Brown) in a Judo match shortly after Brown's Olympic run. And Gene worked vs Piper and Keith Franke (a not yet gimmicked Adrian Adonis) in a tag team in the later 70s.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
meltzer's obit on him would almost be worth getting a sub for. super important figure and lots of fun stories.
"Lebell mastered the Judo throw at age 8, but he lacked the fire Kenny Omega shows when uses the V Trigger. Had a booker like Tony Khan been around in 1967, Lebell likely would have been a house hold name."

Edit: Should have less proper grammar.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
That seems unfair to Meltzer tbh.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TBF Ospreay is better than Omega even if neither of them should have that many, especially compared to many other workers.

The one thing Dave does very well are obits though. He puts a lot of work into them and even with his writing style they're a lot of fun to read.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
TBF Ospreay is better than Omega even if neither of them should have that many, especially compared to many other workers.

The one thing Dave does very well are obits though. He puts a lot of work into them and even with his writing style they're a lot of fun to read.
I agree. I have his Tribute books and loved his obits from the early 2000s (and boy howdy did he have a lot of them to write). I was just being snarky.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score