Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This year's inductees are; Tina Turner, Carole King, Todd Rundgren, The Go Gos, Jay Z, and The Foo Fighters.

Absolutely gobsmacked Tina Turner and Carole King weren't in already. I know Tina's in with Ike but she seems like a favorite of the RRHOF voting committee and it seems like she would have made it in while she was still an active performer even if her solo stuff isn't really thought of as "rock". Carole King is one I'm just baffled didn't make it in 20+ years ago.

Genuinely surprised Todd Rundgren made it in. For me, I think he's borderline but seems great validation for his fanbase. It doesn't seem like The Go Gos career lasted long enough to justify a RRHOF induction but I guess they get in on influence.

I like Jay Z getting in mostly cause it makes boomers angry. Foo Fighters are incredibly average but you have to accept that they're probably the last major stadium level rock act. I wonder what happens now that they're in and there's very few HOF level groups on the horizon. I'm guessing Jann Wenner and co. will have to hold their nose and induct more arena rock acts of the '70s and '80s that they hate.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
RRHOF has meant nothing in years.*

*I'm actually going to Cleveland next week to visit the HOF

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don’t think it ever meant anything beyond the first handful of classes. Maybe I can extend that to first ten years. Once it got past the golden age of rock n roll and started inducting pop acts (and eventually hip hop) then it just became a general “Popular Music of the 2nd Half of the 20th Century” Museum which you know fine. Whatever.

it is fun to debate about occasionally but it is a fool’s errand to actually get wound up about who is and isn’t in there.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I gave up on it meaning anything many, many years ago and just wanted the induction show to be decent. Even then I haven't felt much post-Nirvana beyond glee that Tom Waits finally got in.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's always been subjective but at this point, I feel like all the "WHY THE EFF AREN'T THEY IN!?" titanic levels of influence across genre people have been inducted. Last 10 years or so and forseeable future are going to be about "Well...who else did we miss?" and assorted odds and ends.

People on my Twitter feed are ripshit about Kate Bush not getting in and I'm like...look I wouldn't be upset if Kate Bush got in but is it really rock n roll?

Kind of amazing Devo isn't in yet since they're a definitive cool kid artist that RRHOF tends to go for. Mark Mothersbaugh nearly died. Don't risk a posthumous induction, Wenner! WTH?

Amazed you aren't more livid about Ozzy not being in as a solo artist, @The Valeyard

Valeyard

Reaction score
I just assumed he was. Huh. That is pretty weird. Green Day getting in before Ozzy is the epitome of how it all works, though. Just on its face.

Kate Bush and Devo is some bullshit. This too was the year for Steinman.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Rage Against The Machine are biggest omissions to me. Former two aren't two surprising since RRHOF hates hard rock and metal. Honestly, surprised RATM didn't make it in on first ballot since they're critically adored and have diverse influences which are two things that the RRHOP voters tend to like.

It's going to be hilarious to see the dregs that get inducted in 10-15 years when they've literally run out of rock acts to inductee. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2031, KoRn!"

Valeyard

Reaction score
Korn, Slipknot, and like Barenaked Ladies all go in at once to make me feel old.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm dreading half assed internet debate over whether Dave Matthews Band is actually good in a couple years when they get inducted.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Once the awards ceremony started being broadcast is when it started to mean jack. It then became all about ratings.

You can argue against inducting Motorhead but whether you're a fan or not, the fact that Iron Maiden or Judas Priest aren't in is criminal.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just assumed he was. Huh. That is pretty weird. Green Day getting in before Ozzy is the epitome of how it all works, though. Just on its face.
To make this even odder. I just found out Randy Rhoads is being inducted this year as in whatever they call the sideman wing. So it's weird that Rhoads would be inducted for being Ozzy's guitarist (I doubt Jann Wenner and co. inducted him for the first Quiet Riot albums only released in Japan) but Ozzy is on the outside looking in.

Unless argument is "Ozzy was only good when Randy Rhoads was his guitarist", which I obviously disagree with but I can sort of get it.

Billy Preston is also being inducted in the sideman category so they have no more Beatles or major Beatle related musicians left to induct unless they want to throw Pete Best in there.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Randy Rhoads didn't live long enough to get praise he has, I think. He was fucking great but never had the chance to be GOAT level and it's a shame. I don't know how you go about just putting him in without it being a direct slight to Ozzy (and more likely Sharon).

Billy Preston is another one I thought was already in.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Go-Gos only had three albums in their original run and a handful of hit singles. Not hating I'm just saying if they can get in then it's only a matter of time before Whitesnake is inducted. Which I'm for btw

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Foo Fighters are incredibly average but you have to accept that they're probably the last major stadium level rock act.
Pearl-Jam.jpg

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm guessing he meant last stadium group to form

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Randy Rhoads didn't live long enough to get praise he has, I think.
I feel like Lemmy (not in the RRHOF) said that no one gained more praise by dying than Randy Rhoads. I don’t think any other sideman is getting in on the basis of two albums.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Whether the hall likes them or not, a band like Blink 182 shouldn’t have to wait too much longer. They’ve got the mainstream success, and influence on a ton of popular music that has come since. Again, whether it’s stuff they like or not.

While also influential, the Go Gos only had a couple big years.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I liked the first album with Matt. Didn’t listen to the one after. No real reason really.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't agree with blink being a RRHOF act but it's inevitable. How many arena level rock acts are there left after 1995? We're starting to run of '60s-'80s arena acts that were left out because they were critically unpopular too. It's going to be funny to see RRHOF solemnly trying to pretend Styx and Foreigner were HOF level acts.

I tell ya what though. Me and Pops Kamala will be psyched when BAD COMPANY finally makes its way in.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If the Smiths or the Cure are not in the Hall of Fame, Blink does not belong anywhere near it. I understand they didn't sell as many records but it wasn't like they weren't popular! They were critically acclaimed and influential with the two of them being as influential on British alternative as R.E.M. and Hüsker Dü (or the Pixies) were for American alternative, although I'm not sure what that says as two of those three bands aren't in the HOF, either...

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Cure were inducted into the RRHOF in 2019.

If you'd asked me five years ago, I'd say Smiths would definitely get in eventually as boomers die off and the Gen Xers become elder statesman. Now Morissey is such an ass that I honestly think it's 50/50. I bet The Pixies and Husker Du make it in eventually. Pixies probably sooner than later. The Replacements make it in relatively soon too. Hopefully before blink 182!

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yes please to all of those groups except Blink 182 and probably The Smith for Morissey reasons. I didn't even realize The Pixies weren't in. I thought they got in a few years ago due to their big Nirvana influence.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Shit, not sure why I thought the Cure wasn't in. I think the Smiths should get in because Morrissey probably doesn't want it, so maybe Marr, Joyce, and Rourke would show up and Morrissey would just bitch on Twitter

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Idk if Pixies have even been one of the nominees lists. Surely they have but Idk.

With rock being p. much dead or irrelevant after 2005, I feel like the influence factor will seriously wane in the next 10 years, barring an inexplicable comeback from rock music. Like Smashing Pumpkins are a fantastic band and I'd say RRHOF worthy but have they really influenced anyone? Actually, nvm, that might be a bad example since Corgan's InfoWars appearances may put them in same category as Smiths/Morrissey.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Destiny's Child will headline next year or the year after. Donna Summer, Madonna and Janet are all in, so why not? We'll have to wait for 2028 for Bey to get in as a solo artist.