Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Roku

Mental Lee ILL

JN News
Reaction score
Does anyone here have Roku? It's part of Online Streaming television which is slowly replacing cable TV. I have stuff on it for my HDTV that I can watch WWE Network on Peacock, Garfield on Tubi, Local News Live, CNN on Sling TV, and the YouTube channel on my TV. I spent the last couple of days watching video games on YouTube on my TV with Roku. I have a lot of great streaming TV applications on my TV with Roku that I can watch a lot of what I love watching by way of Roku.

So, what do you guys think of Roku?

claydude14

Integral Poster
Reaction score
364EBCE3-3CEB-4612-BCFF-9A7AFE0AAABC.jpegImpact has a channel on Pluto TV. Other than that I mainly use Plex with my Roku to watch pirated shows.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I love my Roku. The big driving factor in getting a Roku (and, later, a Roku TV) was that the PivotShare apps, which were what Progress and ICW used for their VOD channels (maybe still do?), weren't available on any other device but Roku. Great UI, easy to customize, and supports the major streaming apps I need.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, Roku rules. So many free movie channels to appease my film junkie self.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yep have two Roku's at my house and they are great. Only issue I've run into is the remote on one seemingly bricking on me (and if anyone here has any ideas on a fix I'd appreciate it).

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I got one specifically to run the Spectrum app. I really like the equipment. Best of all; I ended up getting it for free with a Target snafu.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I don't make use of any of the movie channels, but I would have no quality of life, entertainment-wise, without my Roku TV. My living situation currently requires me to have DirecTV, and my receiver is always fucking up and losing signal, especially during prime time. If it weren't for the TNT and ESPN apps, I'd have basically no ability to watch the playoffs.

EDIT - Only thing I don't like about my Roku so far is that, TTBOMK, I can't install adblockers on my TV, which makes using the YouTube app to watch AEW Dark annoying as fuck.

Last edited:

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't make use of any of the movie channels, but I would have no quality of life, entertainment-wise, without my Roku TV. My living situation currently requires me to have DirecTV, and my receiver is always fucking up and losing signal, especially during prime time. If it weren't for the TNT and ESPN apps, I'd have basically no ability to watch the playoffs.

EDIT - Only thing I don't like about my Roku so far is that, TTBOMK, I can't install adblockers on my TV, which makes using the YouTube app to watch AEW Dark annoying as fuck.
If you have a computer that can cast, you should be able to cast your internet browser to your Roku (and therefore TV) and watch that way.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Yep have two Roku's at my house and they are great. Only issue I've run into is the remote on one seemingly bricking on me (and if anyone here has any ideas on a fix I'd appreciate it).
The remotes are extremely cheap to get new. We bought one for our son to play with so he'd stop stealing the actual one.

Mental Lee ILL

JN News
Reaction score
It's too bad I couldn't get Roku back when I was still living with my parents down in Green Valley. My sister, who admits to being a computer and techie nerd, first introduced to Roku as soon as I moved in with her up here in Tucson. Roku basically has everything I'll ever need in television.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Do you see YouTube ads when you watch on your phone?
Yes. That's why I don't do that, either. I used to watch exclusively from my desktop, but I've gotten spoiled on screen size. After acquiring the ability to watch YouTube videos in full screen on my TV, I've decided that I can't go back.

claydude14

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The remotes are extremely cheap to get new. We bought one for our son to play with so he'd stop stealing the actual one.
The Roku app is great for always having a remote on hand. We have three Rokus and can you can just select the one you need to control. The newer model Rokus I have also let you use headphones connected to your phone through the app.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll probably have to bite the bullet and buy a new remote but in trying to fix it I did a factory reset and of course in order to do the initial setup you need the actual remote which won't connect for me. Otherwise I would just use the remote app. Pretty annoying though one day it just decided to stop connecting.

Dandy

Reaction score
Perhaps it was the tv with built-in Roku operating system, but I was not a fan of my Roku experience that way. It was extremely slow and clunky. I much prefer the Firestick, and especially the 4K versions.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You should be able to cast from a desktop to a Roku if it's on the same wi-fi signal.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I started off years ago with a Roku plug-in and loved it so much, I ended up replacing all my TVs with Roku TVs as it was just easier. But at some point last year, Disney+, ESPN and a few other apps stopped updating for Roku and I couldn't use them anymore. Also with the lack of being able to cast from my phone or computer, I decided to try a different brand of smart TV's (I believe its a Google TV) and I enjoy it way more.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Perhaps it was the tv with built-in Roku operating system, but I was not a fan of my Roku experience that way. It was extremely slow and clunky. I much prefer the Firestick, and especially the 4K versions.
Funny enough I have the opposite opinion. Got a 4K Firestick for cheap and mostly for the Dolby Vision and Atmos compatibility. It does the job but I actually prefer Roku's interface and it seems faster to me as well. Firestick definitely wins though as far as app availability (at least in Canada).

Dandy

Reaction score
Funny enough I have the opposite opinion. Got a 4K Firestick for cheap and mostly for the Dolby Vision and Atmos compatibility. It does the job but I actually prefer Roku's interface and it seems faster to me as well. Firestick definitely wins though as far as app availability (at least in Canada).
My Roku TV was an older TCL model. You would not believe how clunky it was. I breeze through everything Firestick except for. . .the oldest tv I have which has the oldest Firestick.

FYI, I consistently clear the cache on all apps on the Firesticks as I personally feel that the more freed up space, the faster it navigates.