Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Samoa Joe released from WWE

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know the exact moment but even when he was getting title shots like the one match against Roman that was terrible and people blamed Roman at the time it was obvious he was slowing down. He could still go in short sprints but asking him to do more than a short intense brawl was too much.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
He was already past his peak by the time he ended up in NXT but was still putting in quality work. I'd say 2017 is when he started to dwindle down workrate wise but he was still cutting great promos and getting world title programs.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Seriously, his promo on Lesnar is probably one of my favorites of the last 10 years:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Lesnar match was his last good match. His NXT and early main roster he was past his prime but still good enough. I would say when he won the US Title two years ago was when I realized that “huh he doesn’t have much of anything left.” And the fact that announcers made such a big deal over him finally winning a main roster title kind of seemed to indicate things were winding down.

I think with benefit of hindsight, ignominious end aside, we’ll realize that WWE actually gave him a fairly decent run. Which is way more than anyone would’ve expected considering Joe’s honestly been past his prime and coasting on his mid 00s glory since like 2009-10ish.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Joe having a shitty match with AJ was the real end for me. Those guys should be able to crack ***1/2 in their sleep by this point. Objectively he was never the same after the fat camp ninjas.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. Fact that AJ could get a ***1/2 match out of Shane McMahon but not Samoa Joe was disconcerting.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought their match at Summerslam was really good and above *** 1/2 and in the *** 3/4 range. The added story and gaga with Joe talking shit about Wendy during the match puts it over AJ vs Shane for me at least. That Summerslam seems to be totally forgotten and underrated since there's a really good Bryan/Miz match that also happened that rarely gets talked about.

The rest of the Joe/AJ matches were really disappointing though. He really looked like he had nothing left a couple years ago when he challenged Kofi for the title.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That angle was what made me realize Joe could really talk and piss me off he didn't get to do more before.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I suffer from this condition:

I am shook and saddened by getting KTFO for my condition
I actually liked that post till I saw this and took away his board props as a result. Put them your way, speaking as someone who eats coriander on the regular it must be hell living with that condition

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I noticed Joe's matches were losing steam in his last ROH run before going to NXT. But they hid it well in NXT.

Valeyard

Reaction score
In Joe's defense re: AJ, AJ never got a good match with Nakamura either so I put a lot of that run on AJ. His two biggest opponents and nothing.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
In Joe's defense re: AJ, AJ never got a good match with Nakamura either so I put a lot of that run on AJ. His two biggest opponents and nothing.
I remember loving the AJ/Nakamura match from right after Nakamura turned heel in WWE.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
whichever nakamura/aj match where they had they kicked the chair around and it led to all the accidental blood was fun. I also thought the AJ/Joe match where AJ's toddler got involved and there was a big giant brawl was fun. I think there was a AJ/Joe match on either an Australia or Saudi show taht I really really liked too.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Samoa Joe might be headed back to WWE....as an in ring worker for NXT!?

I don't really see it tbh. I feel like there's better uses for Joe at this stage of his career/life than presumably filling Kassius Ohno's role as the player/coach veteran that puts over all the up & comers.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I honestly think that's probably the best place for him. With AEW bringing in Andrade and probably Black I doubt Joe would get much of a run there with their bloated roster.

People talk about Impact, ROH or NWA. But, honestly, those are really just indy promotions at this point. Joe going to any of them seems pointless and a huge step down. An example of what I mean is NWA drew 500 buys for their last event with Aldis/Murdoch as the main. 500!

I guess you could argue Impact, but the promotion is so different from when he was there that I just don't see any huge nostalgia for it. And once the Omega angle is dead they'll basically be a slightly higher version of NWA again.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just can't think of any interesting matches for Joe in NXT. I mean sure someone is out there that's clamoring Samoa Joe Vs Karrion Kross but there's countless more exciting matches in Impact, ROH, and indies.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
If he wants to work he’ll make more on the indies and/or AEW than he would with NXT. Of course WWE can pay him more but they wouldn’t use him on NXT if they did.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe being GM and working as a coach/trainer is really the best thing for him. He does not need to be wrestling based on everything he did the last couple runs he had. He was so broken down it was sad to watch. I don't want to watch him struggle and risk further injury.