Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Saturday Night Live: Season 48

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At the Emmys press conference, Lorne explained his lawsuit against Colt Cabana and insulted NBCUniversal executives said there are going to be four new cast members and they'll be announced as soon as today.

@Valeyard 's still holding up hope for a Randy Quaid return.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Gonna predict Hernandez is the only one to stick around until next year. No idea who any of them are but he's got the look.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Interesting they brought in 4 stand ups. Maybe they are finally getting away from theater geek kids.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe they're trying to show the stand up community that there's no hard feelings after the Shane Gillis debacle 3 or 4 years ago.

Well, Lorne, on behalf of the stand up community...forgive? Maybe. Forget? NEVER!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I did breathe a sigh of relief that a comic/impressionist I know didn't get in.

Molly Kearney is first non-binary castmember of SNL. Take that, Vale!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Unless that severely impacts how funny they happen to be it doesn't matter.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So barring any changes, it appears that Season 48 cast is;

Main cast;
Michael Che (WU)
Mikey Day
Chloe Fineman
Heidi Gardner
Colin Jost (WU)
Ego Nwodim
Cecily Strong
Kenan Thompson
Bowen Yang

Featured players
Andrew Dismukes
Marcello Hernandez
James Austin Johnson
Punkie Johnson
Molly Kearney
Michael Longfellow
Sarah Sherman
Devon Walker

Three things. Is it policy now that you can't be promoted from featured players to main cast until you have two seasons under your belt? It feels like JAJ is featured and showcased more than most of the castmembers.

Second...jfc. It really underlines how huge the cast has been during the current when seven people leave the cast and it's still a well above average sized cast during this "lean transition year".

Third: Genuinely amazed that Cecily Strong didn't leave with everyone who left after last season. I wonder if it's a David Spade in '95/'96/"YOU HAVE TO LET ME KEEP ONE OF THEM!" type situation lol.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
Never gonna like a grown ass adult named Punkie. It's showbiz not a poolhall.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hasn't Dismukes been a featured player for quite a while too?
Third season as a featured player but he has been a writer for six. I wonder if he's getting another mulligan season cause he joined in 2020 and hasn't really had a fully normal SNL season?

I feel like there have been a handful of people who were featured players for three or more seasons but I'm drawing a blank. Finesse Mitchell maybe? There can't be many as usually, if you're not promoted to main cast after two seasons then you're gone.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dang. That's surprising. I thought last year was somewhat of a breakout season for him and he'd be one of the anchors of this year's cast.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If more departures are to come, I'd be shocked if Cecily Strong isn't one of them.

Maybe @strummer can confirm but this has got to be one of the only times where the number of featured players equals (nearly equals? OUTNUMBERS?) the main cast? Maybe one of those super enormous early-mid '90s casts did too? It's gonna be a strange season. I'm really surprised Lorne is doing a major rebuilding season this late in life.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oct. 1: Miles Teller/Kendrick Lamar

Oct. 8: Brendan Gleeson/Willow

Cr. 15: Megan Thee Stallion

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fly on the Wall with Dana Carvey & David Spade has a two part interview with Lorne this week and next!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In this article, Lorne blames cast members staying too long on the pandemic and them not being able to get other work---DESPITE THE ARTICLE LISTING THE TV SERIES AND MOVIES THE CASTMEMBERS WORKED ON WHILE WORKING PART TIME ON SNL!

Happy season premiere day!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Not much to say about the show last night. But spraying blood gags are always a winner.