Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Saturday Night Live

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://theoutline.com/post/8583/michael-che-feud-snl-jack-allison?utm_source=TW&zr=mi2arnha&zd=1&zi=fc4o63cr
Michael Che takes criticism very personally.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm hoping they move on from him ( and Jost as well tbh) as their writing is so bland and dull and neither are very funny as tv performers. Che especially seems like a massive asshole. Snl obviously has been more bad then good for a long time, but the political humor that they rely so much on now is so lame and safe. Are there even any recurring characters any more? Every time I watch it's bad Baldwin Trump stuff or a celeb showing up to play a political figure.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Old news but Eddie's show was the highest rated episode since 2008.

I get not liking Che and Jost but I don't think they are necessarily the main problems why the show isn't that good. Starts with Lorne

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lorne is there till he passes away or steps down. The head writers seem to be a solvable problem. The show has been spinning it's wheels forever, but feels somehow more samey recently. It feels the same as five years ago. I barely watch and the show isn't really for me I guess so I get it. It's basically a slightly more edgy late night Ellen to me anymore.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh I completely agree. Show has had a sameness feel forever. You could argue ever since the .Will Ferrell era began

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I actually think Michael Che can be a fairly funny dude (definitely much more in his stand up than SNL) but he shows tinges of sociopathy.

But then again, so do a lot of comedians so Idk. Not even necessarily in a malicious way like Che but I watched David Chang's Netflix travelogue show last night with Kate MacKinnon as guest and she just straight up seemed like she had no idea how normal human beings acted.

To no one's surprise, I'm 99.9% sure that Che is the one that went to bat for Shane Gillis.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
The crowd and twitter seem to love tonight... I think it’s the worst episode I’ve seen in years so far. I’m guessing this library bit is something for fans of Paul?

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whoever decided that every cold open needs everyone in the sketch to come back and scream "Live from New York..." needs to be shot into the sun.

Chloe Fineman's Weekend Update bit was fun.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah didn't think much of tonight's show. The political stuff is beyond stale and fucking Christ they brought back "Chad" again. Go away Pete.

The crowd was hot though. They seemed to really like Chloe's update bit a lot.

RuPaul cameo'd in the season premiere of the 93-94 season. Unless I'm forgetting other times a near 27 year gap between appearances

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I liked the first Chad skit. Thought it was pretty funny. Would have been a great one off.

I check twitter during SNL to see what others are thinking. And it feels like social media is really pushing the Bowen Yang is hilarious angle. He’s pretty terrible.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I felt Yang was funny in his first appearance or two but I really feel like he plays every character identical. Even when he plays Andrew Yang, it is no different than whatever random character he plays in a sketch.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought he did a good Ken Jeong impression in The Eddie Murphy episode, but I haven't seen enough to judge him.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
It’s just his every day speaking voice. Kinda like when Fred was doing Obama, but with less effort. If he’d just deepen his voice a tiny amount it’d resemble something like an impression. Sudeikis doesn’t have a great Biden, but he’s trying and stands out because of it. Hopefully he gets better.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He also tends to shout his lines for no real reason although that's been a common trait since the Will Ferrell era started

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was marginally better than average but kind of a letdown for a Mulaney episode. I think Mulaney starting his monologue by talking about how it hadn't been that long since he had been there and didn't have anything to promote for the night kind of set a tone for the night.

David Byrne was unsurprisingly one of the best musical guests in years.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yes, I saw something about the cast all doing stuff remotely so it will probably be pretty rough one person sketches and Weekend Update via Zoom, if I had to guess.

Good on them for trying but not expecting much.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well that was basically unwatchable.

I've been having trouble watching the late night shows as well. Kimmel has been okay. Maybe Conan but that's about it.

Oh wait Spade of course has been killing it but oh yeah he got fucked over by Viacom so his show is going away

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I liked the Pete Davidson bits, especially $2000. The dating show one had a few laughs, too.

Weekend Update with the laugh track, or whatever, was cringeworthy.

I don't know if this was a one-off thing, but it looks like its another repeat next week.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Michael Che offered to pay a months rents for all 160 tenants in his grandmother's (who recently passed away from COVID-19) NYCHA apartment building.

That's a pretty classy move.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They're doing another SNL At Home this weekend. The fact that these are happening with 2 days notice kind of indicates level of care to these episodes.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I don’t think any of the sketches were truly live last time. My guess is some of the cast have been recording stuff that will get used whenever they decide they have enough to fill up an episode, then just film a Weekend Update that day - which was really uncomfortable with them having the cast laugh in the background.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah this was much much better. Sandler and Pitt cameos!!! Hell the Rob Schneider cameo got a laugh out of me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/chefboyohdear/status/1265147631497547777
Hooo boy. Wait until these intrepid right wing Twitter detectives find out how many people have worn blackface on SNL over the years (I mean they had Fred Armisen play Obama in the past 10 years for cripes sake). They might still like SNL!