Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Saturday Night Live

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I really wish they'd give the actual chance to cast members to do stuff like that instead.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At least they didn't bring back Woody Harrelson. His Biden was laughably terrible.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah remember when cast members used to be able to make their career either on Weekend Update or playing someone in the presidential sketches. Now those are reserved for a celeb or former cast member doing either a bad or overrated impression of a political figure.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Tired of the stunt casting. Baldwin was fun as Trump for a time or two, but after getting it time and time again the novelty has worn off and you’re just left with a dogshit impression.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He will be talking about how much the Sinatras love his impression of Frank as he is read his last rites.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was gong to point that out. A bunch of technical errors last night. Which has been common the last few years. What the hell is going on in the production side?

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just watched the debate sketch. Carrey's Biden voice is great (the makeup not so much and he's kind of just doing Fire Marshall Bill again with his face), but the writing and comedic material stunk. Just the blandest and most milquetoast shit with celebrities grinning and repeating the exact same shit from the debate while the audience cackles. The timing was all off in the sketch too. It would really be funnier and more ballsy if SNL just didn't have anyone do Trump and just use a bag of compost as a Trump stand in. The Baldwin impression is as obnoxious and unfunny as the real Trump.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A bunch of the non political sketches last night came off Nickelodeon-ish to me. The constant mugging is really annoying but maybe that's the direction they are given.

Rock seemed underutilized as well

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I saw a picture of one of the new recurring players and he looks like he's young enough that he could be on the current iteration of All That so maybe they are heading in that direction. I mean Baldwin could take tips from the girl on All That's Ross Perot impression on how to make a ridiculous impression amusing.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bill Burr/Jack White is the dream lineup for thirtysomething white dudes. Me and my friends are all (remotely) high fiving rn.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Kate and Colin breaking character in the middle of Weekend Update certainly was something.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are people who think Burr's monologue was homophobic?

I can do without comedians complaining about "cancel culture", but it doesn't really elicit anything more than an eyeroll anymore.

White women getting mad at it is pretty funny, though.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
On next week's show, we'll get the comedy stylings of...Adele?

Non actor host that doesn't exhibit any signs of comedic chops + fourth week in a four week in a row stretch= potential for an epicly bad show.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maya Rudolph did her squeaky old lady voice last night. Felt like it was 2003 all over again.

Yeah Adele was fine. They didn't ask her to do too much but they haven't asked any of the hosts to do that much this season so far. Honestly didn't realize she was that young. She was only 19/20 when she was first on the show.

Next week is the first live show on Halloween since 1992 I believe

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Even recognizing SNL has stayed well past its shelf-life, I still watch and will enjoy Weekend Update or a sketch a two a week.

Then there is this year. This season has been really, really bad so far. I don’t know if I’ve gotten too many laughs out of the early episodes. I think there are a few talented people in the cast but it doesn’t come through. But I think the presidential campaign stuff has been especially bad with a combination of extreme Trump fatigue and the weak “Biden material”. I’ve also never been a huge Mya Rudolph fan and now that they elevated the caricature they had Kamala be last year into being Biden’s chaperone or the one in control, it is just a weird shift.

I think there is a lot to be said for the lack of turning the cast over too. I mean, I realize he has nowhere to go but Kenan being in the cast for eighteen years still seems weird to me.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Carrey and Baldwin are just terrible in both their roles, and the writing sucks too. I'm guessing Baldwin will be gone after this year due to Trump losing, so at least that will end, and I don't see Carrey doing this for more than a year. So, hopefully by next year we have a totally new dynamic.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maya Rudolph overexposure along with Fallon overexposure in the early to mid 00s got me to stop watching for years. I think she can be funny in other things, but SNL and Lorne bring out the worst in her. It's a lot like Kirsten Wiig. I think the SNL comedic style brings out really bad tendencies in both like Maya trying to shoehorn in singing all the time or Wiig constantly repeating the same two jokes with all her characters. But, in other movies and shows both have shown they are pretty talented when they get away from the Lorne Michaels style of comedy as well as SNL having every sketch be 4 or 5 minutes longer than they should be.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I agree with all of the Rudolph stuff. Never really enjoyed her work on SNL but I guess we get 4 years of her now. I think the Bill Burr ep has been the only solid one so far. Update has been good. But overall it’s been a very mediocre start. Hopefully Chappelle kills it tonight.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Interesting that the last time Chappelle hosted was the first show after Trump was elected and tonight will be the first show after he was defeated. Can't wait for the monologue

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Interesting that the last time Chappelle hosted was the first show after Trump was elected and tonight will be the first show after he was defeated. Can't wait for the monologue
Thanks for pointing that out. I remember him talking about problems with Trump but I didn’t realize that’s when he was on last. Didn’t seem like that long ago but I don’t know what time is anymore either.