Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Saturday Night Live

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This show got off to an incredible start. Probably a top 5 mono of all time. First sketch was great but since.... uh ... nothing special

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dave's monologue was over 16 minutes long. That has to be the longest in the show's history

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Dave was fire as always and I did enjoy that first sketch. I did laugh at the Take Me Back digital short more than anything not involving Chappelle this season, so one other win for this episode to me.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even without the political stuff overload tonight's show was pretty rough. Jason Bateman now 0-2 hosting SNL

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Yeah. Nothing really hit for me tonight. The pre Christmas shows are usually stronger.

The sketch about the country singer in the bar had a really bad little while where Bateman was doing all the dialogue off camera and the shot was focused on the country singer and Yang just kinda staring and waiting for their turns. Seems like they’re missing more and more this season so far with stuff like this.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Went to watch this on my DVR last night and apparently my local NBC affiliate is having a dispute with DirecTV and pulled their programming. I was going to see if either the OnDemand or Hulu would be serviced by NBC itself instead of the local clown show but sounds like I’m not missing much if I don’t.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Went to watch this on my DVR last night and apparently my local NBC affiliate is having a dispute with DirecTV and pulled their programming. I was going to see if either the OnDemand or Hulu would be serviced by NBC itself instead of the local clown show but sounds like I’m not missing much if I don’t.
Other than Cecily’s performance as the drunken Michigan fraud witness (who I keep thinking looks like bad WMMA fighter Heather Hardy) it’s a complete miss of a show. The Stu pretape was alright I guess. Some people seemed to really like it online.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
After his death last week I saw that David Lander was originally cast in the 85-86 season. He even flew to New York to start but Lorne changed his mind at the last moment. I'm trying to think who replaced him. Probably Randy Quaid I guess.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jim Carrey is out as Biden. Meh.

Also tonight is the season finale!? Are they going to pick up whenever vaccine is more prevalent or are they done until the fall? Even including the two or writer strikes seasons, this has to be shortest season ever, right @strummer ?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I’m not sure where you saw that. I only see this referred to as the mid season finale, as the episode before Christmas always is, until they return in January.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh I guess it's the "fall" season finale of SNL and no one knows when they'll be back but I don't see SNL saying anything about it being any sort of season finale.

I don't think anyone would fault SNL for taking 2 or 3 months more off tbh after all they've been through. Let Cecily and Aidy finish their other TV series commitments and try to have a normal-ish second half of the season.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I’m totally fine with Jim bailing on Biden. Joe’s not going to try and make as much news as Trump, so there’s no need for him to be on standby every week.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looks like Alex Moffat is the new Biden. I saw George Clooney has a new movie coming out so I figured it would be someone like him. They get Emmy nominated for some reason (Lorne greasing the wheels) anytime they use a celeb, so I'm actually surprised.

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd like to see what SNL looks like with minimum political humor. After just exhausting the Baldwin Trump, take the 25 minutes they used on that and try to make some new stars like they did with Samberg, Forte, Wiig, Hader, Sudeiikis, etc 12-15 years ago. There's not many people on the current cast I think that are close to that crop, but it would be nice to see them try. The last few times I've watched most of the jokes for the male cast members are that they either all look alike or are all bland white guys.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
I'd like to see what SNL looks like with minimum political humor. After just exhausting the Baldwin Trump, take the 25 minutes they used on that and try to make some new stars like they did with Samberg, Forte, Wiig, Hader, Sudeiikis, etc 12-15 years ago. There's not many people on the current cast I think that are close to that crop, but it would be nice to see them try. The last few times I've watched most of the jokes for the male cast members are that they either all look alike or are all bland white guys.
One of the biggest problems I have with SNL's political humor is that it feels so toothless. They'll go after Trump and the people in his administration, but in the most predictable way imaginable. They never really take chances, and it all just feels like they want to piss off Trump without alienating it's viewers too much. With Biden, I doubt they'll try and piss him off, but that's because most of the staff is mostly a bunch of white, liberal writers who are too concerned with "decorum" or whatever. Also, having Colin "we should totally have an Amazon building in New York" Jost as a writer and host of Weekend Update doesn't help.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Agree with you both. Biden isn’t going to pick fights or start Twitter beefs with everyone like Trump. So the politics should get turned way down in the near future. Defiantly best for the show. They’ve got a good cast now, but they’ve been so tied to Trump bits for the last few years and it’s hurt the show.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Agree with you both. Biden isn’t going to pick fights or start Twitter beefs with everyone like Trump. So the politics should get turned way down in the near future. Defiantly best for the show. They’ve got a good cast now, but they’ve been so tied to Trump bits for the last few years and it’s hurt the show.
I feel like a lot of political humor suffered in the age of Trump. John Oliver can be hit and miss (I feel like he does his best when he takes on issues that the media doesn't talk about much -the Militarization of the Police and the likes of Dr Oz and other snake oil salesmen), and then you had things like Samantha Bee sitting down with Glenn Beck. Honestly, some of the best political humor nowadays comes from podcasts and the likes of The Onion.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’m going to really live up to my alt left doofus rep but I think a big problem with mainstream political humor is it is obvious that the comics have deep ties to major corporations, who are inherently conservative. Hence why I think 99% of it is toothless.