Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

SheHulk

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
first episode was fun although it was weird having the 4th wall breaking since they've never done that. Since it was so focused on just 2 characters it doesn't really give a feel for how the rest of the series will be go probably. The after-credits was funny. Jen looks like she'll be a fun main character and Ruffalo said in interviews she'll be in the Avengers movies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Loving She-Hulk: Attorney at Law. Still early in the series but, so far, it's exactly what I was hoping it would be: a low-stakes law "dramedy" (but with superpowers), that pulls heavily from the Dan Slott run in the comics. As a big fan of the title character, it does bug me a little bit how many people are openly (and very loudly) saying that they're only watching the show for the guest stars, but whatever gets the clicks, I guess.

Interesting turn that they've done with Titania's character: she seems less like the version from the comics, and more like Tahani Al-Jamil, but with super-strength. It's not a difference that bothers me, though, and I'm happy to see how it all plays out. I would like to find out if they change the story of how she got her powers, as they can't really do the comic book version, since two of the characters who factor heavily into her origin (Doom, the Beyonder) haven't been introduced yet, and one character (Julia Carpenter, aka Spider-Woman II) they don't own the cinematic rights to.

Also, to the best of my recollection, there's never been any version of She-Hulk in the comics where
Jen's mother is alive
... so I'm very interested to see where they take that dynamic.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Something I forgot to mention that I like about this show, that some people might consider to be kind of contradictory to my previous post: I really, really hope that they keep this show as a low-stakes law "dramedy," because that would allow them to do some nifty "lampshade hanging" over the sort of stuff that fans and critics alike nitpick over, endlessly. For example, with respect to the family dinner scene in Episode 2:
Imagine Jennifer having to represent Clint Barton in court, because he received multiple citations for leaving his arrows all over NYC?

Or, since CA:NWO isn't due out until 2024, the actors might have a couple days free time, so suppose
Some civilian got their car wrecked during the battle between Sam and Bucky and the Flag Smashers in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and they don't have superhero insurance, so they decide to sue Captain America for damages?
There's tons of potential for guest appearances in this show, featuring established MCU characters in a less serious context, and I am here for it!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Wong stay chucking that deuce, don't he?
This show continues to be everything I was hoping it would be,

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Liking the series fine so far. Not a real fan of the 4th wall breaks (Episode 3's were particularly bad & unnecessary IMO). I wish the writing felt a little stronger... at times it reminds me of a lesser Mrs. Marvel where it has good moments but then either the writing becomes subpar or the pacing feels off and not as tight as it should be so the entire episode isn't strong on the whole.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I'm not seeing a pacing problem: the pacing seems entirely consistent with what I expect from a sitcom. Which is what this is.

Staff member
Reaction score
The more people complain the more I look forward to watching something like this. Tells me that it's different and Marvel really needs more things that feel different. But I have a bunch of shit I gotta finish first.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I have no intention of watching this (I don't have Disney+ and the thought of starting from the beginning of these Marvel series doesn't interest me) but the simps complaining about SheHulk twerking is hilarious. It's amazing what sets people off.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not seeing a pacing problem: the pacing seems entirely consistent with what I expect from a sitcom. Which is what this is.
Usually, it's more scenes going on a tad too long for me (the Bruce fight in ep 1 stood out) but that may be more related to the editing. For a show that typically runs 30-40 minutes, at times it feels like some scenes get compressed for the expense of longer scenes.

There were 3 cuts to the decision makers screaming/freaking out during the
Emil transforming into Abomination scene in ep 3
(which was 40 seconds long) and those extra 2 cuts to them didn't add anything. Yet the bar scene later in the episode didn't even get 1 full minute of time and that's where I want to see more interactions between those 3 characters or even just Jen & Nikki away from the office for character/relationship development but it, too often, is feeling shoe-horned out of the show for other stuff.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I feel like the writing gets abysmally bad at times and the writers are literally so inept at "legal" scenes that just basic courtroom stuff can't even be done right e.g. the lack of cross-examination is particularly appalling.

An argument about it only being a sitcom doesn't excuse poor, shitty writing like that. There's potentially comedic scenes/lines but I feel like the show really struggles with its comedic timing, which I blame on the directing + editing. You can see how it'd work in the script but it never lands right in the actual execution on screen.

Guys (who aren't Wong) also continue to be written horribly. Even the nice date guy can't be nice at the end... just annoying and I'm finding it harder to want to continue to watch this show.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like the writing gets abysmally bad at times and the writers are literally so inept at "legal" scenes that just basic courtroom stuff can't even be done right e.g. the lack of cross-examination is particularly appalling.
My man, the 2nd episode had a supervillain bust into the courtroom & brawl w/ She-Hulk, almost taking out the entire jury, I think complaining about lack of cross-examination is reaching a bit. This episode just had a witness show up in court direct from another dimension. LA Law, this is not.

Even the nice date guy can't be nice at the end
He wasn't "not nice", he was just attracted to She-Hulk, not Jennifer Walters.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
My man, the 2nd episode had a supervillain bust into the courtroom & brawl w/ She-Hulk, almost taking out the entire jury, I think complaining about lack of cross-examination is reaching a bit. This episode just had a witness show up in court direct from another dimension. LA Law, this is not.

He wasn't "not nice", he was just attracted to She-Hulk, not Jennifer Walters.
I'll grant you the latter but the former still doesn't work. It's literally a show about a superhero whose human identity is centrally linked to the courtroom and law. I'd be fine if they could just write the fundamental baseline of any courtroom show. Trial Scenes = Opening Speech (maybe), Witnesses, Direct and Cross-Examination, and Closing Speech. Simple concepts like the defense being able to cross-examine or at least have 2 lines to protest a witness's appearance without their knowledge shouldn't be too much to ask of a writing staff. If anything, those moments in a SITCOM should lead to better gags!

I seemed to be one of the few that actually liked the drunk girl character! Bad writing or framing it as just a sitcom shouldn't excuse bad characterization, plots, or humor. As somebody who didn't mind the Ms. Marvel show (mostly), I feel like this show just needs better writing. There are glimpses but it feels like a group of writers who know what they want to do but can't quite get to that level and are a couple of steps below. Think the 1st Draft compared to something done after 3 rewrites.

And that 4th wall joke about Wong and Twitter relief for a week was just beyond cringe.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Look, bottom line it's a silly show about a lawyer working for the Superhuman Law Division, with the courtroom scenes playing off that ridiculousness. It was never going to be "accurate courtroom show", and to think that it should be seems odd, and you should probably stop watching if that's one of your main concerns. "Lack of cross examination, ugh!", really?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Another enjoyable episode: the reboot of Titania's character from the comics canon to the MCU is really starting to grow on me. And Renée Elise Goldsberry is sensational (NPI) as Mallory Book.

I really hope they made Jen more than just the one suit to wear to court, though.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I'm all-in on the re-imaged Titania. Quite frankly, playing Titania as a super-strong version of her character from The Good Place works for the actor in a way that playing her more like the 616 comics version simply wouldn't have.

Love seeing more Mallory Book, love seeing more cases involving D and E-list Marvel characters, ready to see Jen back in court. One of the more frequent complaints I've read online about this show has been the lack of a season-long overarching storyline but, personally, I think that the format of the show works better without one. It's looking like the last third of the season is going to have one, anyway, though.

My sole complaint for the episode was the lack of payoff for the new wardrobe.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Apropos of nothing, some of the comments online are going to turn me into a Daredevil hater. Like, I've been agnostic at best on the character since jump, but the way some of these dudes on the internet go borderline Snyderbro every time a new episode comes out and Matt isn't in it makes me almost hate Daredevil, out of spite.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I’m an episode back, but I see this as a series that isn’t that good, but I still enjoy it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I really enjoyed She-Hulk: Attorney at Law as a series, and I thought that the finale was fantastic as satire.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Fun finale. If you’re going to do the fourth wall breaks in the first place, you may as well go balls out with it.

I still stand by this not being a great series. But I thought it was a lot of fun. Last couple episodes especially.

Staff member
Reaction score
I liked this until the finale, which I thought was dogshit tbh. We’re close to going full circle in rounding out Jen as a character and then things get super stupid. The meta shit is horribly timed.

Staff member
Reaction score
Also the season long storyline of Jen not being able to date someone really doesn’t resonate because well I mean it kinda speaks for itself tbh.

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean?

It seemed like that storyline was written by someone who has hangups with men that do not extend well to A. women with great jobs, B. women who aren't weird in some kind of way, and C. great looking women. I found it weird.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I still don't understand; are you saying that you don't have any experience with attractive women with good jobs that still have problems meeting people?

Staff member
Reaction score
I still don't understand; are you saying that you don't have any experience with attractive women with good jobs that still have problems meeting people?

The way things were positioned it was very clearly done in a sense that these guys didn't think Jen was good looking. That's BS.