Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Something Impressive About TNA

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Something that TNA does impresses me. I was thinking about this, and as a fan, I like that they explain loopholes. Now mind you, I know that they don't always do it, but I like that they explain why Daffney was dressing up as The Gov., or how Hernandez gets to keep his Title shot. It's not going to always happen, but when Matt Sydel changes his name to Evan Bourne with no explaination, or former Spirit Sqad members are showing up with different names, it's good to get something explained.

daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet
Reaction score
Are all of those things loopholes? Do some things matter?

Example: Do we REALLY need a promo talking about how MEM Security was originally Phi Delta Slam?

David Blazenwing

New Poster
Reaction score
daileyxplanet said:
Are all of those things loopholes? Do some things matter?

Example: Do we REALLY need a promo talking about how MEM Security was originally Phi Delta Slam?

Damn, I knew they looked familiar. I swear I thought the one was Rick Steiner the first time I saw him. :p

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I'm not saying a promo for everything needs to be make, but when it comes to a name change, they at least go out of their way to explain it. For all the stupid things that TNA does, trying (keyword) to keep some continuity is a good thing.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
An example of this at Lockdown. Mick Foley does a baseball slide to take out a cameraman. He later asks same cameraman to give him the barbed wire bat. Why would he?

"He must be intimidated by Foley!"

At least it's an attempt to justify it.

Although Tenay trying to pass off Hernandex going for a junior heavyweight title is that it's similar to the X Division and weight limits don't matter was borderline insanity.

daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet
Reaction score
WWE counts on its younger audience and short memory. Which is why people will get completely repackaged in a relatively short amount of time.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I always felt repackages were fair game. You don't need to explain why Jamal is Umaga all the sudden. Wrestlers finding a successful gimmick after a couple attempts is an accepted practice.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Outside of us net dorks, how many people knew Evan Bourne's real name is Matt Sydal? How many actually care? It's not like anyone gives a shit that Paul Levesque is not really named Hunter Hurst Helmsley.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Black Lushus said:
Outside of us net dorks, how many people knew Evan Bourne's real name is Matt Sydal? How many actually care? It's not like anyone gives a shit that Paul Levesque is not really named Hunter Hurst Helmsley.

I was going to question this to, but then I remembered (barely) that he was Matt Sydal in his debut match. Kind of like how Mr. Kennedy was Mr. Anderson on Velocity his 1st week.

Jebus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
DrVenkman PhD said:
Black Lushus said:

I was going to question this to, but then I remembered (barely) that he was Matt Sydal in his debut match. Kind of like how Mr. Kennedy was Mr. Anderson on Velocity his 1st week.

Exactly. The topic isn't about real names. Besides, Matt Sydal's not the guy's real name anyway.
The example used was the fact that one week Matt Sydal was wrestling on ECW and, the following week, he was Evan Bourne.
Same guy. Different name. No explanation.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Well, from what I read in so-called "anti-TNA" newsletters, they do far more things that go without explanation than do, so this thread kind of seems like a, "Congratulations on finally explaining why Daffney acted like Sarah Palin" thread. Now explain why Cornette's power alternates week to week.

Dandy

Reaction score
I always thought name changes could be explained easily enough as the wrestlers are using stage names, much like actors. Why not just state the obvious? This name is more marketable.

LuckyLopez

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't care about changing a guy's name who has never been there or ignoring some real world stuff that has been referenced. As was said, its the in program stuff that bugs me. WWE seems to like to compare itself to the rest of TV all the time and when they've done over the top stuff like Vince's death a common explanation has been that other shows can do that stuff so they should be able to. But at the same time, Lost can't take a recognizable character for years, repackage him and give him a new name, and throw him out there as a new character without getting the audience to react negatively to it.

WWE does rely on short term memories and it bugs me because I don't have one. TNA's not completely innocent of this but I do think they cover it a lot more than WWE does. A lot of that is the very stuff people complain about with TNA. That they talk too much, that they reference other companies too much, that they acknowledge the past too much. But for me, if I KNOW "Dr. Stevie" is Stevie Richards I need TNA to acknowledge that. If they don't and the try to convince me this isn't the guy who spent years in ECW, WCW, and WWE then I just can't get past that. I might eventually get over it, but it makes it harder to swallow the character and the story.

I really think its a lot of these little things that keep me involved with TNA. Small seemingly inconsequential things that just make me feel like TNA is trying even if what's on the screen isn't working. Trying to explain plot holes and acknowledging what we all know is a big part of that.

Another is what we saw on the Lockdown pre-show where Rhino came out to help Eric Young. Rhino and Young aren't tag partners are established friends. Rhino isn't feuding with Danny Bounaduce. Rhino just actually gave a damn about someone being beat down and came out to stop it. One of the most annoying small things to me is how often savage beatdowns happen in WWE with NO ONE giving a damn to stop. Not the faces in the back, not the security employed to stop this sort of stuff, not Jerry Lawler who steps up other times, not anyone. Edge kidnapping Vickie for a full Smackdown. Jericho beating down Flair, Steamboat, and even Snuka when his own son is on the roster. Every time something like that happens I just sit there asking why no one cares. So as much as Rhino bores me these days the fact that TNA has used him the last year or so as essentially the default face who cares enough to stop random heel beatdowns? Kind of makes that one of my favorite non-gimmicks ever.

Its a simple thing IMO. If the fans can ask REASONABLE questions then you should address them. Digging up a wrestler's real name and insisting he's not really whatever WWE bills him as isn't terribly reasonable. Asking why Matt Sydal changed his name week-to-week is reasonable. But truthfully, there's not a lot of examples of recent WWE that can I think of. Its more an overall thing. I think WWE expects us to give them the benefit of the doubt, to suspend a ton of disbelief, and to often be dumber than we are. TNA (a fair amount of time) addresses the stuff we're asking, even if it sometimes doesn't really make a problem any better.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
JHawk said:
An example of this at Lockdown. Mick Foley does a baseball slide to take out a cameraman. He later asks same cameraman to give him the barbed wire bat. Why would he?

"He must be intimidated by Foley!"

At least it's an attempt to justify it.

Although Tenay trying to pass off Hernandex going for a junior heavyweight title is that it's similar to the X Division and weight limits don't matter was borderline insanity.

The Foley thing was one of the things that I actually liked about that match. If I was the cameraman and this dude just dropkicked my ass from inside the cage and he told me to give him something...yeah...I'd give it to him.

Scroby

Low rent Indy Referee
Reaction score
LuckyLopez said:
Another is what we saw on the Lockdown pre-show where Rhino came out to help Eric Young. Rhino and Young aren't tag partners are established friends. Rhino isn't feuding with Danny Bounaduce. Rhino just actually gave a damn about someone being beat down and came out to stop it. One of the most annoying small things to me is how often savage beatdowns happen in WWE with NO ONE giving a damn to stop. Not the faces in the back, not the security employed to stop this sort of stuff, not Jerry Lawler who steps up other times, not anyone. Edge kidnapping Vickie for a full Smackdown. Jericho beating down Flair, Steamboat, and even Snuka when his own son is on the roster. Every time something like that happens I just sit there asking why no one cares. So as much as Rhino bores me these days the fact that TNA has used him the last year or so as essentially the default face who cares enough to stop random heel beatdowns? Kind of makes that one of my favorite non-gimmicks ever.
You're making an excellent point here. One thing that really bugged me about the Jericho beat down of Flair a few weeks ago was that Lawler was so angry about it happening and was yelling and demanding that Jericho stop the beat down but instead of getting off his headset to stop Jericho which could have set up the match between Lawler and Jericho the following week, Lawler just stood there and then we found out later that Lawler would be wrestling Jericho the following week on Raw. Shit like that really bugs me when it comes to the WWE.