Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Songs I heard at work

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Heard "And She Was" and "Here I Am (Come and Take Me)" at work last Friday. Can't remember what I heard today.

Also, this is (probably) an unofficial spinoff of the "Super Market Music" thread, so anyone in general can post too. Oh, and my job is at Lowes, and I have what I sometimes call "CronoT duty" (I push carts)

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I used to be so indifferent to Taylor Swift before hearing her multiple times a day. They always play that one where she's being all whiny and codependent while still being very aware of how right she is.

Olivia Rodrigo might be worse one day.

But then there's just blocks of 90s stuff I haven't thought of in many years which is kinda pleasant. "Shiny Happy People" just covers every emotion depending on how you're feeling, if that makes sense. Fits it all.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One of the major benefits of working at call centers for past decade is I don't have to listen to any music that I don't want to.

Bottom of barrel was super grim Summer of 2010 when I worked at Pizza Hut and they played WHOM, the Northern New England soft rock superstation and I was subjected to countless repeats of the two soft rock hits of the era, Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" and Train's "Hey Soul Sister". Yikes.

even in better restaurants, I was subjected to chef's weird musical whims. I remember one chef that really loved Andy Gibb's big hits and would try to sing along (and fail) to match Andy's falsetto, which I thought was really odd and now I think of him whenever the local oldies station play "I Just Want to Be Your Everything".

One year at LL Bean, during some employee appreciation week, they put out a karaoke machine at lunch and I thought it was bizarre. Hard to think of a worse karaoke scenario than stone cold sober at noon on a weekday in front of your co-workers.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score

Getting to hear this before my break makes me smile. Also got to hear The Supremes sing “Keep Me Hangin’ On”

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
I haven't heard "A Girl Like You" outside of a strip club in like 15 years. Radio gets a win.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Animotion's "Obsession" is getting a ton of rotation lately and I always gotta smile. Best video.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I love that Vince McMahon chose a song about ravenous cocaine fueled horniness as theme music for pro wrestling's first US network showcase in almost 30 years.

Valeyard

Reaction score
"Easy Lover" was worse, but they were all really amazing. "Obsession" just is one of my favorite music videos ever and frankly it's a nice break from the Taylor Swift bombardments.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Well, reached the point of year where they play music I hate (Train being the biggest offender-seriously, the worst band of all time), but at least I got to hear "Kiss Me"

Valeyard

Reaction score
So we sell this amazing sound system that is speakers in the couch itself. Two in each arm, a subwoofer under the seat, and a sound bar in front. It sounds incredible. We usually have gotten trailers for different things (like we just had one for Rescue Rangers when it came out, and before that a bunch of Wheel Of Time shit), but this has all changed and now we have to play the Zac Brown Band. That's all. It only changed over on Tuesday but holy shit no.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Getting to hear “I Can’t Go For That” was nice, and I’ve concluded Vanessa Carlton’s “A Thousand Miles” is indeed a good song. That being said, I still find most 90s lite alt rock (Vertical Horizon, Collective Soul, etc) to be something I really don’t care for.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
I’ve heard “Here’s How The Story Ends” several times at work, and I’m cool with that because I like that song. Thought I heard Cocteau Twins for a second, but nope it was something else

Valeyard

Reaction score

What the fuck is this and does anyone else have it appear at their place of business, or indeed anywhere else?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Nothing is more awkward than being on the phone, trying to get someone to buy something quite expensive, and have "Firework" blaring in the background. It seems like one of those things that happens in movies I never watch.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Dude I'm so jealous. We've been bukkake'd by seven different versions of "Wonderful Christmastime" since 9:45 this morning.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Dude I'm so jealous. We've been bukkake'd by seven different versions of "Wonderful Christmastime" since 9:45 this morning.
Doesn't start till Black Friday or sometime afterwards. Also, I'd prefer they play the original "Christmas Wrapping" instead of the same awful cover version every year.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They started us on Monday and it's already uniquely bad. I can deal with Christmas music, but they have made a serious effort to find as many shit versions of songs without playing the originals as possible. House remix of "White Christmas" or vaguely Eastern European decking of halls is already taking more out of me than I expected.

Also a HUGE amount of 2010s country has turned up. I am going to have Sugarland arrested.

Valeyard

Reaction score
A remix of Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" by this guy Ken Andrews is the stupidest thing I've heard yet.

However Seal's version of "Let's Stay Together" fucking rules.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
I did work experience at my brothers video store in 2001 and all week Drops of Jupiter played on the looped promo video. Crystal by New Order and Can't Get You Out of My Head were on it too so it wasn't all bad.

Valeyard

Reaction score

Get the fuck out of here or I will call the police.

Valeyard

Reaction score
This slipped in while I was busy elsewhere and I wasn't sure it was real until barking dogs happened. Such an oddly specific Christmas song for a retail environment.

I hope McCartney breaks his leg for inflicting "Wonderful Christmastime" on the world.

There's a weird Eastern European-sounding "Frosty The Snowman" that comes on too.