Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My review of the 10/16/2021 card show in Thibodaux, LA.

In this video I talk about the experience, share scans of the cards (and art) I bought and also show scans of the items I brought to trade. I also feature two of the vendors that provided me with great deals and conversation. I also advertised a scan of Down South, the hosting card shop, and their logo. Finally, I spoke to the representatives of Golden Grading out of Baton Rouge. They sold me a graded Garbage Pail Kid so that I could review the slab at a later date. For now, please refer to the picture in this video.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
My review of the 10/16/2021 card show in Thibodaux, LA.

In this video I talk about the experience, share scans of the cards (and art) I bought and also show scans of the items I brought to trade. I also feature two of the vendors that provided me with great deals and conversation. I also advertised a scan of Down South, the hosting card shop, and their logo. Finally, I spoke to the representatives of Golden Grading out of Baton Rouge. They sold me a graded Garbage Pail Kid so that I could review the slab at a later date. For now, please refer to the picture in this video.

Very cool stuff. Always love seeing the thoughts of vendors and seeing the overall experience at more local card shows.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Really interesting to compare the PSA 10 vs. 9 prices of "Junk Wax Era" cards precisely because they are so plentiful and overpopulated. People nowadays seem to forget/don't know that you could struggle to give away those cards in the past. The PSA 9s are arguably great value if you just want a RC in a graded slab without paying to grade it yourself.

1990 Fleer Update Gary Payton PSA 10 (363): $150-$200
1990 Fleer Update Gary Payton PSA 9 (630): $20-$25

1990 Fleer Shawn Kemp PSA 10 (1724): $50-$75
1990 Fleer Shawn Kemp PSA 9 (1660): $10-$15

1992 Upper Deck Shaquille O'Neal PSA 10 (323): $1,800-$1,950 *Pop Control IMO*
1992 Upper Deck Shaquille O'Neal PSA 9 (3163): $70-$120

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
That disparity is something!
It really highlights just how subjective "grading" is. With all the 9s that look like 10s to the naked eye, especially on "Junk Wax" cards, why would you pay up to 5-10X for the same card just for the higher grade? I'd understand if it was a rookie card that was serial numbered or an autographed card, etc. but for the '88-'99 era, I just don't get paying such exorbitant prices for a 10 grade. It's also not like such cards were not heavily printed (says the guy who paid $40 for an SGC 10 Tom Glavine RC) and the only reason pop counts aren't at the Zion/Luka levels are that people didn't want to submit them for grading purposes back in the day.

Outside of pop control and status, the "collector" is snatching up all these 9s and saving themselves hundreds of dollars.

Jerry Rice PSA 10 = 60
Jerry Rice PSA 9 = 1,031. This card is going for 8X a PSA 8 over the last 30 Days ($2,500 vs. $300)
Jerry Rice PSA 8 = 12,313

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I keep an eye on sold listings for BGS 9 89 UD Griffeys because my plan before this current silliness was to sell it and use that as a "down payment" toward a 9.5. That's what I did when I went from an 8.5 to a 9, sold the 8.5 and only had to tack on very little money to get the 9.

The space between the 9 and the 9.5 is a similar gap to your examples, last I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.