Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

ST. ANGER 10TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Happy birthday to the fuckin' realest album of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwZuFexTy0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo4rPAjTS94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwdLjPrqgME

"...there's an authenticity to St. Anger's fury that none of the band's rap-metal followers can touch." - Rolling Stone

"...some of the sickest grooves of Metallica's 20-plus-year lifespan." - All Music Guide

"...arguably the season's finest metal offering..." - Entertainment Weekly

"Nu-metal minnows, you may return to your cubbyholes. The true masters have finally awakened from their slumber." - NME

e5023435.gif
e5023435.gif
e5023435.gif
e5023435.gif
e5023435.gif
e5023435.gif
e5023435.gif
e5023435.gif

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, how many of those critics backtracked after they found out how much the public hated it.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Invisible kid
Never see what he did
Got stuck where he hid
Fallen through the grid

Invisible kid
Got a place of his own
Where he'll never be known
Inward he's grown

Invisible kid
Locked away in his brain
From the shame and the pain
World down the drain

Invisible kid
Suspicious of your touch
Don't want no crutch
But it's all too much

I hide inside
I hurt inside
I hide inside, bull I'll show you...

I'm OK, just go away
Into distance let me fade
I'm OK, just go away
I'm OK, but please don't stray too far

Open your heart
I'm beating right here
Open your mind
I'm beating right here
Open your heart
I'm beating right here
Open your mind
I'm beating right here

Ooh, what a good boy you are
Out of the way and you're kept to yourself
Ooh, can't you see that he's not here
He doesn't want the attention you give
Ooh, unplugging from it all
Invisible kid floats alone in his room
Ooh, what a quiet boy you are
He looks so calm floating 'round and around himself

tumblr_li0o5aI7031qef53oo1_500.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLjFaaPFHko

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nine years ago today, would you have believed that in 2013 this would only be the second most reviled Metallica album of all time?

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The disc ended as the sun was rising over Syria. Had it lasted that long? My comrades and I looked at each other, stupefied. Our only memory was of forced effects, laughable lyrics, and audio surgical scars. I sat up and began packing my duffel. I'd rather pick bananas. One comrade suggested smuggling the disc out of the kibbutz to leak to the Internet. If Metallica were such proud artists behind their music, unable to both allow downloading and refund money after purchase, then we should warn others. Metallica had become less a band leading a genre than a team soaking up payroll in a second-tier sport. This was NASCAR, WWE. Logos, sneers, mustaches, and beards. Hair grows back, but the Jheri Curl of insincerity, of contradiction, and of compromising a cause never straightens.

0.8/10!

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
It's still the most reviled one. Death Magnetic's big downside is the production (which, even then, is like a combination of St. Anger and Kill 'Em All, so it actually kinda works on a "career spanning" level), but it has a few good songs ("My Apocalypse," "That Was Just Your Life," and "All Nightmare Long" immediately stand out, but even "The Unforgiven III" and "Suicide & Redemption" are pretty solid). The only other ones would be Load and ReLoad, which also have legitimately good songs on them ("Until It Sleeps," "King Nothing," "Bleeding Me," "The Outlaw Torn," "Fuel," "The Memory Remains," "The Unforgiven II," "Low Man's Lyric," and "Fixxxer" are probably the best, and even "Ain't My Bitch," "The Cure," and "Bad Seed" are passable).

Fuck this album. Seriously. One of the hands-down worst albums released for mainstream rock/metal/whatever of all time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Do Metallica fans not count Lulu? That's the one I was half-jokingly referring to as the most reviled. But let's face it...did anybody think that album would be anything good?

Reaction score
No, Metallica fans don't count Lulu, and no, nobody really expected it to be any good.

I bought St. Anger the day it came out, don't think I've put it on since. Well, once or twice to prove that it really is that bad to some people. Didn't even have to finish one track to prove my point.

That godawful snare....*shudder*

Laz

Reaction score
The Metal Maniac said:
That godawful snare....*shudder*
coffecan-hiddensafe.jpg

King Kamala said:
Do Metallica fans not count Lulu? That's the one I was half-jokingly referring to as the most reviled. But let's face it...did anybody think that album would be anything good?
We barely count anything after the Black Album.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
What's funny is that I've heard albums with a similar sounding metallic snare sound, and they are much better than "St. Anger." The difference is that those bands were either underground or just starting out and couldn't afford good sounding production. Metallica could, and why they'd think doing that kind of thing intentionally is confusing.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
FUCK IT ALL AND NO REGRETS!

I'll never forget WWE hyping a ppv (maybe Badd Blood) with the uncensored title track playing in the background.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
WHEREEVER I MAY ROAM

WHERE I LY MY HEAD IS HOME

MY BODY L YES BUT STILLL I ROAAAM

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Nymyzys said:
FUCK IT ALL AND NO REGRETS!

I'll never forget WWE hyping a ppv (maybe Badd Blood) with the uncensored title track playing in the background.

Summerslam 2003. I'm pretty sure the DVD release has the music video as a bonus as well.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
King Kamala said:

Lulu is good though.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't like Lulu, but it made perfect sense as a 21st-century Lou Reed album. This went over the heads of most reviews I read of it, the majority of which consisted little more than "lol wtf Metallica?!?"

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
I just want to throw this out there. We STILL don't have a definitive "Best Of" Metallica set, but Nickelback released "The Best of Nickelback: Volume 1" this week. 19 tracks on this sumbitch! Metallica needs to step it up.

BurningPirateShipSex

BurningPirateShipSex
Reaction score
Nymyzys said:
I just want to throw this out there. We STILL don't have a definitive "Best Of" Metallica set, but Nickelback released "The Best of Nickelback: Volume 1" this week. 19 tracks on this sumbitch! Metallica needs to step it up.

19 tracks too long, amirite?

Laz

Reaction score
dick talk 2000 said:
What's funny is that I've heard albums with a similar sounding metallic snare sound, and they are much better than "St. Anger." The difference is that those bands were either underground or just starting out and couldn't afford good sounding production. Metallica could, and why they'd think doing that kind of thing intentionally is confusing.
The other big difference is that the snare sounds the way it does due to tuning on underground releases. The tighter the tuning the more bounce from the stick, thus the easier blasting becomes. Grindcore, brutal death, and KVLT black metal need it. Lars "barely above AC/DC anymore" does not.

Epic Reine said:
I'll listen to St. Anger before Risk any day of the fucking week.
"Crush 'Em" is better than any song on St. Anger, and I feel like "Breadline" gets a bed rap.

Nymyzys said:
Eh, they kinda/sorta did back in '92 with Live Shit:Binge & Purge. Outside of a couple of notable songs getting teased or just outright ignored ("No Remorse," "Ride the Lightning," and "Orion"), that's basically one big comprehensive gathering of their best stuff. Any "best if" collection would be primarily off the bland Black Album and a handful if their 80's output.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Laz said:
Epic Reine said:
I'll listen to St. Anger before Risk any day of the fucking week.
"Crush 'Em" is better than any song on St. Anger, and I feel like "Breadline" gets a bed rap.

you-lie.jpg

Invisible Kid, The Unnamed Feeling, and Purify aren't terrible songs. I agree about Breadline though.