Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Star Ratings Thread

Staff member
Reaction score
Gonna do something to invite more discussion here. Literally every wrestling show I watch (old or not) is going to be accompanied by star ratings of each match. Sometimes I'll comment more sometimes I won't. Sometimes I will have missed matches for reasons. Obviously this thread will have Dynamite and Rampage (maybe Impact sometimes too) spoilers immediately after the shows air every week so keep that in mind. And anyone who wants to know whether or not to watch something well you'll have a spot with recommendations I guess. This won't be a review thread on my part anyway cause it needs to be short and to the point.

Anyone else wants to do the same feel free to do so ITT

Staff member
Reaction score
Death Before Dishonor 2022

Colt Cabana vs. Anthony Henry - **
Shinobi Shadow Squad vs. The Trustbusters - *1/2. Big nothing there.
Tony Deppen, Alex Zayne, and Blake Christian vs. Gates of Agony and Brian Cage - **1/2.
Allysin Kay vs. Willow Nightingale - *1/4. Felt like a match where they didn't know what they wanted to do so they kept grabbing each other and fighting over holds for long periods of time.
Claudio Castagnoli vs. Jonathan Gresham - ***. It was like they only did half their match.
Dalton Castle & The Boys vs. The Righteous - * lol. Yawn.
Daniel Garcia vs. Wheeler Yuta - **3/4, I didn't like how boring this was at the start. 10 minutes of absolute nothing.
RUSH vs. Dragon Lee - ****1/4. OMG.
Serena Deeb vs. Mercedes Martinez - ***1/4. This crowd was so dead, it took forever to get them involved in this match, but I really liked it.
Jay Lethal vs. Samoa Joe - **1/2. The amount of overbooking here was offputting.
The Briscoes vs. FTR - *****, this is one of the best tag matches I've ever seen.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
The Briscoes vs. FTR - *****, this is one of the best tag matches I've ever seen.
It makes me way happier than it should to know that the Briscoes finally have another team they click with that well.

Staff member
Reaction score
62e41-1534562433-800.jpg

WWF Final Four

Marc Mero (w/ Sable) pinned Leif Cassidy with a Samoan Drop and the Shooting Star Press at 9:31 - **. I think this was the match where Mero tore his ACL and I believe he worked the next night like a dumbass. Probably shouldn't have done that. This is also the first time I noticed Sable starting to look like she had a lot of work done.

Faarooq, Crush, & Savio Vega (w/ PG-13, D-Lo Brown, Clarence Mason, and other Nation members) defeated Goldust (w/ Marlena), Flash Funk, & Bart Gunn at 6:43 when Farooq pinned Gunn after Crush hit a legdrop to the back of Gunn's head as he had Farooq covered following a bulldog off the top - **1/2, this was good given the short time frame, and I have a few observations. One is that Goldust didn't even tag in the match so Dustin is a smart dude. Check without bumping. Next is that Faarooq was a really effective heel even though he was not a 'great worker'.

WWF IC Champion Rocky Maivia pinned Hunter Hearst Helmsley with a back suplex into a bridge at 12:30 as the challenger was distracted by Goldust at ringside; after the bout, Marlena was assaulted and choked from behind by an unknown woman while Goldust and Helmsley had words; the woman was eventually pulled away from Marlena by security and ejected from the building; she later became known as Chyna (Chyna's debut) - **1/4, I'll say the same thing I've said before to a few people. I see no potential in Rocky at this point at all. Chyna bit was good.

Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Owen Hart & Davey Boy Smith (w/ Clarence Mason) via disqualification at 10:31 when Owen hit LaFon with the Slammy as Smith prepared to hit the running powerslam on the challenger; after the bout, the champions argued over the finish, with Smith throwing his tag belt to the mat and breaking Owen's Slammy, then threatening Mason, but all three men eventually left ringside together - ***1/4. Really good match even though the challengers had no heat. Bad ending. Angle afterward was good.

Bret Hart defeated Vader (w/ Paul Bearer), the Undertaker, and Steve Austin in a Final Four match by last eliminating Taker at 24:06 to win the vacant WWF World Title; pre-match stipulations stated that eliminations could occur via pinfall, submission, or by tossing your opponent over the top to the floor; early in the bout, Taker busted Vader's eye after hitting him in the face with the steel ringsteps; during the bout, Psycho Sid - who would challenge the winner the following night on Monday Night Raw - was shown watching the match backstage; Hart eliminated Austin by throwing him over the top at 18:09; Austin returned minutes later to attack Bret; Taker eliminated Vader at 22:33 by knocking him off the top as he attempted a moonsault on Taker; Hart eliminated Taker with a clothesline after Taker knocked an interfering Austin off the apron; after the bout, Sid interrupted Hart's celebratory fireworks and confronted Hart in the ring as the show came to a close - ****1/4. Incredible match, never seen it before and rarely seen this mentioned as being a great match. Lots of heat and the crowd REALLY wanted Taker to win.

Staff member
Reaction score
WCW Nitro 2/17/97

Rey Misterio Jr. defeats Super Calo (6:00) - **3/4, good little match there. They kept showing an angle where Ray Traylor had been surprise attacked by a mystery man (not implied to be anyone). Don't care about the angle at all and it reeks of stupid.

Steve McMichael defeats Hugh Morrus (4:21) - *. This was a match.

Dean Malenko (WCW Cruiserweight Champion) defeats Robbie Brookside (2:54) - **. Real rarity here with Dean doing a promo on Syxx before the match.

The Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge & Rocco Rock) defeat The Amazing French Canadians (Carl Ouellet & Jacques Rougeau) (w/Col. Robert Parker) (4:46) - **1/2. Not a PE fan but this was entertaining.

WCW World Television Title Match
Prince Iaukea defeats Lord Steven Regal (c) (3:32) - 3/4*, this was bad and Iaukea was too green to be in there at all.

Randy Anderson defeats Nick Patrick (0:43) - You can't really call this a match but it was a great angle. Led to Bischoff firing another referee for helping Anderson. Nick Patrick is really funny in this role.

Chris Benoit (w/Woman) defeats Road Block (2:30) - **, I'm not gonna do the beating around the bush with Benoit every time, everyone knows where I stand. Yes there must be something wrong with me because I can watch his matches without thinking about what happened. He's great here.

There's an angle here where the NWO car crashes the Steiner Brothers. Good hell dude gas was 1.24 a gallon. Scott Hall's running commentary here is hilarious.

Kevin Sullivan (w/Jacqueline & Jimmy Hart) defeats Doc Dean (3:20) - *1/2, never seen this guy Doc Dean before. Jacqueline's good. New rule though, if a match is below 3:30 I'm not gonna rate it and just provide comment.

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Match
Eddie Guerrero (c) defeats Konnan by DQ (6:04) - *1/2, not what I thought it would be. Guys didn't get out of first gear and Eddie didn't get any of his big spots in. They did have Chris Jericho clear the ring of Faces of Fear though.

The Giant defeats Johnny Swinger & Top Gun (0:40) - This was just a vehicle for a Luger/Giant promo against the Outsiders.

Chris Jericho defeats Jeff Jarrett (2:30) - I'm surprised Jericho won, but it was entirely with Mongo's help. And both wrestlers here are still headlining shows 25 years later.

Show ended with a Piper promo from Alcatraz, a Hogan promo in the ring, and Sting/Macho showing up to watch.

Staff member
Reaction score
Doc Dean's a British wrestler, I imagine he must have come in with Brookside.

He teamed with Brookside prior to this and they had similar gear. The weird part to me was that I'd never seen him before and according to Cagematch will only see him job one other time a year from this point? It's not like he did anything wrong so it's funny how lower card workers are chosen to either be regulars or one timers.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember Doc Dean from the C/D shows. He did a funny heel click dance on his way to the ring that DDTDigest made fun of.

He also taught Jericho to speak British carny slang at one of those marathon C/D show tapings so he did a lot with his little time in WCW.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I always liken star ratings to stuff like Roger Ebert's reviews. I don't need a technical masterpiece and I'm not necessarily going to downgrade a big man hoss match just because they are lumbering/slow and not doing MOVEZ. My barometer typically is ** = they fulfilled the match requirements. Either they told a decent story, got the crowd into the match, or gave some effort and made it watchable with a few moves/sequences.

Too often I see a fine ** to **1/2 match get * or *1/4 because of the participants involved rather than the match itself.

Staff member
Reaction score
AEW Dynamite 7/27/2022

Rush vs. Jon Moxley - **** this dude Rush has good chemistry with EVERYONE. Both Mox's and Jericho's promos after this were bangers.

Danhausen vs. Ricky Starks - Surprised this didn't go longer

Hook vs. Ricky Starks - ***. BAH GAWD DUDE I DIDN'T SEE THIS COMING. That was great though. The angle after this was almost perfect, they cut off too soon to move to something else, but goddamn dude. That was too good.

Dante Martin vs. Sammy Guevara - ***1/2. Great wrestling, two guys who can do everything athletically, I could watch them every week. Made each other look good.

Tony Nese and Mark Sterling vs. Swerve Strickland - I had to dip out of the room during this so I got nothing.

Miyu Yamashita vs. Thunder Rosa - **3/4, this wasn't bad or anything but I wasn't entirely paying attention, and I hate that they constantly put Rosa in this part of the show.

Daniel Garcia vs. Bryan Danielson - ****1/4 wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I can't believe they put Garcia over.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Death Before Dishonor 2022

Colt Cabana vs. Anthony Henry - **
Shinobi Shadow Squad vs. The Trustbusters - *1/2. Big nothing there.
Tony Deppen, Alex Zayne, and Blake Christian vs. Gates of Agony and Brian Cage - **1/2.
Allysin Kay vs. Willow Nightingale - *1/4. Felt like a match where they didn't know what they wanted to do so they kept grabbing each other and fighting over holds for long periods of time.
Claudio Castagnoli vs. Jonathan Gresham - ***. It was like they only did half their match.
Dalton Castle & The Boys vs. The Righteous - * lol. Yawn.
Daniel Garcia vs. Wheeler Yuta - **3/4, I didn't like how boring this was at the start. 10 minutes of absolute nothing.
RUSH vs. Dragon Lee - ****1/4. OMG.
Serena Deeb vs. Mercedes Martinez - ***1/4. This crowd was so dead, it took forever to get them involved in this match, but I really liked it.
Jay Lethal vs. Samoa Joe - **1/2. The amount of overbooking here was offputting.
Meltzer Vs 909
ROH Death Before Dishonor 2022,
Colt Cabana vs Anthony Henry 2.75
Daivari & Slim J vs Cheeseburger & Isom 1.75
The Embassy vs Zayne, Blake & Deppen 2.5
Willow vs Allysin Kay 1.25
Claudio Castagnoli vs Jonathan Gresham 3.25
Castle & The Boys vs The Righteous 2.75
Wheeler Yuta vs Daniel Garcia 4
Rush vs Dragon Lee 4
Mercedes Martinez vs Serena Deeb 3
Samoa Joe vs Jay Lethal 4
FTR vs The Briscoes 5

AEW Dynamite 7/27/2022

Rush vs. Jon Moxley - **** this dude Rush has good chemistry with EVERYONE. Both Mox's and Jericho's promos after this were bangers.

Dante Martin vs. Sammy Guevara - ***1/2. Great wrestling, two guys who can do everything athletically, I could watch them every week. Made each other look good.

Daniel Garcia vs. Bryan Danielson - ****1/4 wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I can't believe they put Garcia over.
07/27 AEW Dynamite,
Jon Moxley vs RUSH 4.5
Sammy Guevara vs Dante Martin 3.5
Daniel Garcia vs Bryan Danielson 4.75

Staff member
Reaction score
Raw 8/1/2022

Mustafa Ali vs. AJ Styles vs. The Miz - **1/2, this was alright. Great tornado DDT spot from Ali but I couldn't tell you anything else that happened here a week from now.

Montez Ford vs. Seth Rollins - ***1/4, good match.

Asuka vs. Alexa Bliss - *1/2 match was a big nothing before the angle first of all. I expected something different as the angle here.

Dolph Ziggler vs. Chad Gable vs. Ciampa - ***, this was good too, nice near falls towards the end, but man I fucking hate Dolph.

Iyo Sky vs. Bianca Bel Air - ***1/2, I don't know why this had to end that way.

Ciampa vs. AJ Styles - ***1/2, another really good match, this one on the other hand had a good ending. I want to see Ciampa go super heel please.

The Mysterios vs. The Usos - **1/4. Dom is terrible, he doesn't get better, and I'm totally distracted when I watch him because of that.

Staff member
Reaction score
WWF Raw 2/17/97

Oh no Raw is a two hour show now. They teased opening with Bret vs. Sid but Stone Cold ran out there to ruin it. Match will be later on. Sid was screaming about the MOTHERFUCKER (Stone Cold) who hit him in the knee.

Marc Mero (w/Sable) defeats Savio Vega (w/Clarence Mason, Crush, JC Ice & Wolfie D) by DQ (4:16) - *3/4, nothing happened until the angle at the end with Ahmed Johnson clearing out the ring. To follow up on what I've said before, Mero did come out to the ring with a limp and it seems he was working injured. He did a dive onto Savio and it seemed like he got hurt worse. As we know he was gone for a long time after this. The Nation is one of Vince's worst ideas to actually turn out well.

WWF Intercontinental Title Match
Rocky Maivia (c) defeats Leif Cassidy (9:34) - **. Imagine being a jobber like Al Snow and having to work this non-gimmick with such a stupid name. Rocky just wasn't that good yet. It's not like this was a super bad match or something, but everything he could do was just the basics.

Big foreshadowing of the ECW angle the following week. Lawler wouldn't stop bashing them.

Goldust promo ends with...Chyna and HHH attacking. But every time they have to get Goldust over by saying he's not gay is worth a laugh. JR was hilarious here.

The Head Bangers (Mosh & Thrasher) defeat The Hardy Boyz (Jeff Hardy & Matt Hardy) (4:02) - Lol at this even existing. There aren't many guys who made the jump from jobber to regular the way the Hardys did. I don't rate squashes.

Another false start on Sid vs. Bret. You gotta get some heat for WrestleMania somehow, right? The build is the coldest ever otherwise. Was funny seeing Stone Cold attack Bret and have it broken up by Vince.

Owen Hart (w/Clarence Mason) defeats Flash Funk (8:37) - ***. Good match here, but outside of the WWF format this could have been a lot better. Kinda sad seeing Scorpio go through the motions of his stupid entrance. And think about how many times Vince repurposed this because he really wanted a dancing black guy gimmick. Lol Paul Heyman calling into Raw to talk to Lawler. Didn't know that happened! Lawler always kayfabes this conversation but he put ECW over as much as anyone could possibly do so by naming names and running them down with his mic time.

Bart Gunn defeats Hunter Hearst Helmsley by Count Out (4:35) - *. Another pile of nothing. I'm looking forward to the Attitude Era style with super short matches tbh. I've slowly made my way through four years of Raw and I'm looking forward to seeing the format change. They didn't have the athletes to work longer matches. This ended with Goldust chasing Trips out of the arena.

WWF World Heavyweight Title Match
Sycho Sid defeats Bret Hart (c) (11:54) - ***1/4, the kayfabe practicality here is that Sid should have won because he didn't wrestle the night before. He also wasn't repeatedly attacked by Stone Cold, only happened the once. If you think Sid wasn't capable as a worker you should probably watch this. Crowd was HYPED to see him win and this was great booking. At the end they follow all that up with Taker challenging Sid.

Staff member
Reaction score
AEW Dynamite 8/3/2022

Orange Cassidy vs. Jay Lethal - ***1/4. Orange Cassidy shouldn't be a glorified jobber. Bad booking.

Jamie Hayter and Britt Baker vs. Thunderstorm - ***1/2. Rosa really lays her shit in there lol. I thought this was a lot of fun and I'm glad Hayter finally got to win one.

Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Poor Guy - Lol dude this was a hilarious squash.

Christian vs. Matt Hardy - **1/4, Matt needs to retire. He's way out of shape and doesn't look like himself anymore. He worked hard here and it seemed like it could have been a retirement match but he's lost some of what he had.

Dumpster Match
Gunn Club vs. The Acclaimed - **1/2. I appreciate seeing this gimmick brought back, maybe it isn't good timing, but we'll see about the match. They weren't breaking the wheel or anything here but this was alright.

Chris Jericho vs. Wheeler Yuta - ***1/2, Jericho busting out the lion tamer was great as was his effort here. Not unusual for him at this point though.

Staff member
Reaction score
Smackdown 8/5/2022

Ricochet vs. Happy Corbin - **1/4. Ten minutes of SummerSlam highlights before this. Lol. This dude Corbin is wrestling cancer.

first they did a video package of Summerslam that was about 8 minutes

then they show Mcafee vs Corbin highlights for another couple minutes

12 minute match

commercial

Liv/Ronda highlights

commercial

Now it's 5:37.

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Ludwig Kaiser - **, this was a title challenge setup match and didn't really mean anything. I haven't seen Nakamura in a while though and I'm still surprised they didn't strike when the iron was hot.

Smackdown Women's #1 Contender Gauntlet Match - *. Aliyah vs. Sonya was horrendous lol. I hate to say it but this was Jackie Gayda level wrestling. Raquel vs. Sonya wasn't much better, and it seems like Raquel sucks even though I haven't seen her much so how would I know. Her finisher looks super dangerous. There are a few things on this show that make me wonder how different things are actually going to be. What if HHH and Vince wanted some of the same people pushed all along and merely differed on the details? What if they didn't differ at all? This was a fucking awful waste of a half hour.

Vikings Raiders vs. Jabrones - I appreciate the Robert Gibson and Mulkey references here. I don't rate squashes.

Erik vs. Kofi Kingston - **. I don't get the point of this either. At least Kofi won but I hate a FORMER WORLD CHAMP BEING TREATED LIKE THE 1-2-3 KID. FUCK OUTTA HERE SON.

Roman just buried Karrion Kross straight out the blocks lmao. The look on his face.

Staff member
Reaction score
Rampage 8/5/2022

Mance Warner vs. Jon Moxley - ***1/2, good brawl, I liked the ending but people weren't ready for that ending at all. Just choked his ass dead.

Konosuke Takeshita vs. Ryan Nemeth - No rating because it was too short but if you don't like Takeshita there's something wrong with you.

Madison Rayne vs. Leila Grey - *1/2, I don't think this division really needed another midcard talent, I think there's plenty of talent in AEW's women's division now. But it has to be booked right.

Josh Woods and Tony Nese vs. Swerve in Our Glory STREET FIGHT - ***3/4. Alright, I don't know where they found Josh Woods but this is another guy who might become a staple of their programming. He has something. This was a great match but they were working very rough and I hope nobody got hurt. Keith is nearly Vader sized now.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know where they found Josh Woods but this is another guy who might become a staple of their programming.
Late 2010s ROH but I guess he also had a very short stint in NXT. He's really come into his own in the last year or two after kind of a boring, generic start. Although late 2010s ROH could probably make mid-late '90s Stone Cold Steve Austin seem dull.

Staff member
Reaction score
Dynamite 8/10/2022

COFFIN MATCH
Darby Allin vs. Brody King - ****. Holy shit might be the best way to describe all this. TK's goofy tendency to overbook could have ruined this but it didn't. First five minutes was one of the best openings to a wrestling match that there's been.

TORNADO TAG
Los Ingobernables vs. Lucha Brothers - ****1/4. I don't wanna comment on Rush's look but he needs someone to pop his back from time to time. Also damn dude. This was fucking great.

The Hangman/Young Bucks stuff was so bad I shouldn't mention it.

Ricky Starks vs. Aaron Solow - Wasn't long enough to give a star rating but I like that Ricky has no friends due to his past deeds and the Factory tries to team up on him.

AEW TBS Championship
Madison Rayne vs. Jade Cargill - **. Jade is so good for being as green as she is. She's gonna blow spots sometimes and that's just what it is. You still have to push her. Nothing she does in the ring even bothers me as being something not meriting pushing her.

AEW Interim World Championship
Chris Jericho vs. Jon Moxley - ****1/4 Dude Jericho coming out like this was so cool. That's almost all I wanted to say. This was a fucking great match with a great angle afterwards. Like I have no complaints or observations really. This was a great show.

Staff member
Reaction score
AEW Rampage 8/12/2022

Dante Martin and Skye Blue vs. Sammy Guevara and Tay Melo - ***. Dante and Sammy are too good and they have great chemistry in ring as I posted above in this thread. Skye and Tay are average women's workers but this kind of match is gonna work because of how good Sammy and Dante are.

Parker Boudreaux vs. Sonny Kiss - Hate crime joke here etc. Nothing here really.

Ass Boys vs. Danhausen and Erick Redbeard - **. This went about how you'd expect with Danhausen playing Ricky Morton. Wow I did not see Danhausen jobbing to these guys.

Orange Cassidy vs. Ari Daivari - **1/2. This is kind of a 205 Live match and it's hard to care about this tbh. Fuckin lirl at the angle that ended this though. That was really well done and that's an interesting add to a faction seemingly consisting of randoms.

Staff member
Reaction score
AEW Dynamite 8/17/2022

Opening promo segment with Punk and Mox was great. I thought Mox should have beaten Punk up but the end result was fine even though they both suck at throwing worked punches.

2/3 Falls

Bryan Danielson vs. Daniel Garcia - ****3/4. First fall was fantastic. No surprise there. Second fall had an abrupt but very slick finish. I think this is one of the best matches Bryan's had actually. Result is unsurprising but man if you didn't like this I dunno what's wrong with you. Daniel Garcia is FOR REAL. The promo segment after with Steamboat was great.

Ass Boys vs. Varsity Blonds - That seemed like a burial. BUT YES BRING BACK THE ASSCLAIMED GODDAMNIT.

Jungle Boy-Christian segment was saved by Christian. JB can't cut a promo and that's never gonna not be a problem.

Kilynn King vs. Toni Storm - **1/2, this match was alright. Gotta love Toni.

Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks vs. Los Ingobernables - ***1/2, this was fine but I wonder what it could have been if Omega was himself. He's clearly not and his style fits better in a trios division but he couldn't do that much. Love Dragon Lee though.

Staff member
Reaction score
wcw_superbrawl7_savage.jpg

SuperBrawl 1997

The video with Piper escaping from Alcatraz is pretty cool tbh. If you've been there anyway.

Syxx pinned WCW Cruiserweight Champion Dean Malenko to win the title at 12:02 when Syxx hit Malenko with the title belt after a tug-of-war over the belt with WCW US Champion Eddie Guerrero, who came out late in the match to prevent the challenger from using the weapon; Syxx came to the ring in possession of the belt after stealing it from Malenko weeks earlier - ***1/2. Syxx's belt stealing gimmick was pretty cool tbh. I've always thought he was extremely underrated as a worker and this match goes a long way towards showcasing that. Surprised they had Syxx win and it was Eddie Guerrero's fault so that was cool.

Konnan, La Parka, & Villano IV defeated Juventud Guerrera, Ciclope, & Super Calo at 8:54 when Konnan pinned Guerrera with the sit-down crucifix powerbomb; Guerrera seemingly kicked out at 2 but the decision stood; Mike Tenay did guest commentary for the bout - **3/4, ending got botched somehow but the crowd was into this. It's funny watching lucha trios matches now when AEW does the same exact shit every couple weeks. Or you can just watch TripleMania, which you couldn't do back then.

WCW TV Champion Prince Iaukea pinned Rey Mysterio Jr. at 8:57 after Lord Steven Regal came out, pulled Mysterio off the apron - causing Mysterio to hit his face on the apron - and shoved him back inside the ring; after the bout, Iaukea, not wanting to win under those circumstances, handed the title belt to Mysterio who later handed it back - ***1/4. Facing Iaukea is way beneath Rey, but this guy does have a title after all. Pretty good match but it's a carryjob and there was very little heat. Didn't like the finish and the post-match was lame.

Diamond Dallas Page defeated Buff Bagwell via disqualification at 9:46 when WCW Cruiserweight Champion Syxx, Vincent, Michael Wallstreet, and Nick Patrick rushed the ring after Bagwell sustained the Diamond Cutter, with Page then leaving through the crowd - **. Expecting this to be demonstrably less good than the first three matches. It was and this match didn't really matter but they had the NWO run in to protect Buff from taking a loss. DDP was really getting over though.

WCW US Champion Eddie Guerrero pinned Chris Jericho with a crucifix into a sunset flip at 12:04; after the bout, the two men shook hands - ***1/2. Crazy every time I see Jericho this far back in history while watching him every week. Eventually I'll stop saying this. It's also interesting because a lot of WCW guys talk about how nobody got elevated. Well this is for the US title but by 1999 none of these guys could get even close to the US belt. So yeah, I mean, that seems awfully correct and if anything they got depushed. Jericho does a release German here that looks more stiff than anything Brock's ever done. Crowd wasn't really into this but they did good work.

Public Enemy defeated the Barbarian & Meng and Harlem Heat (w/ Sister Sherri) at 7:45 when Rocco Rock pinned Barbarian when, after the Barbarian caught Rocco in mid-air as he attempted a somersault splash off the top, Grunge came off the top sending Rocco on top for the win - **1/2. Love two of these teams and hate one of them. It's funny old guys complain about modern wrestling being nothing but spots. This match is nothing but spots. They aren't telling a story here at all, the guys are just far bigger than modern wrestlers. And that's cool. Ending comes literally out of nowhere with Public Enemy doing jack shit all match and winning somehow.

Jeff Jarrett pinned Steve McMichael (w/ Debra) at 8:13 when Debra threw the steel briefcase over her head behind her into the ring, as McMichael tried to get at it, with Jarrett then hitting him with the weapon; due to pre-match stipulations, Jarrett became a member of the Four Horsemen - *. Love Mongo but this is not a good matchup. Not a good match either but this crowd is really not into this show in general. So that doesn't help. The Debra angle was dumb too.

Chris Benoit (w/ Woman) pinned Kevin Sullivan (w/ Jacqueline & Jimmy Hart) in a death match at 8:34 following a headbutt off the top as Sullivan was laid across a table in the ring, with Jacqueline covering Sullivan; Woman and Jacqueline were strapped together for much of the match; after the bout, Arn Anderson was seen near the entranceway watching; moments later, Paul Orndorff, Terry Taylor, and Lee Marshal came out to check on Benoit, Sullivan, and Jacqueline, who were then taken backstage on stretchers and loaded into the back of ambulances - ****. This ruled while it lasted, which wasn't very wrong. Two matches going on at once, Benoit and Sullivan brawling everywhere, a fantastic finish and good post-match. This was a complete package of a segment but it feels like Sullivan's career was sort of wasted because it took this long to get entertaining stuff from him.

Lex Luger & the Giant defeated WCW Tag Team Champions Kevin Nash & Scott Hall (w/ WCW Cruiserweight Champion Syxx) to win the titles at 8:53 when Nash submitted to Luger's Torture Rack; the Giant wrestled the match as a handicap match, since Eric Bischoff didn't allow Luger to compete due to having a cast on his hand following an injury, but Luger appeared at the 8-minute mark, shoving Bischoff out of the way in the aisle; after the bout, the Giant hit the chokeslam on Hall and had referee Marc Curtis count Hall down for 3 - **3/4. Haha and they say the NWO never put anyone over. Well it doesn't take a genius to point out that the Outsiders were there to make money and in their matches they did what it took to stay over and that's all that mattered. You know sometimes that really is all that matters and you can't fault their approach. See for me Scott Hall is the second best performer to not win a world title. He was over enough, he could talk enough and he could work enough. A lot of guys usually in this conversation couldn't talk enough. The best performer not to win one is obviously Piper. I also realize during this match that while the Giant/Big Show was still in shape he was barely bigger than Nash. And if you think Nash couldn't work go watch him bump over the top rope here. Crowd LOST THEIR SHIT when Luger came down to the ring lmao. Loved that even though it wasn't much of a match, it was a master class in gaining heat and keeping it.

I understand that the titles went straight back to the Outsiders but in the grand scheme of things that isn't a big deal. They gave the Cow Palace crowd what they wanted.

WCW World Champion Hulk Hogan (w/ Ted Dibiase) pinned Roddy Piper at 11:00 after hitting him with a foreign object placed in his hand by Randy Savage, who appeared ringside mid-way through the bout; early in the bout, Piper fought off Vincent and Michael Wallstreet; Sting and Savage appeared mid-way through, with Savage coming ringside as Sting went backstage; Piper thought he had won, and the bell rang, at 10:14 with the sleeper but Hogan's foot was outside the ring; after the bout, Hogan and Savage double teamed Piper, with Savage dropping the flying elbowsmash on Piper three times as Hogan held him down - -*, this is a negative star match here. You can't send the crowd home like that. I liked that Piper showed up like he was actually stuck in Alcatraz. You know I was thinking that Hogan was able to maintain his heat as a heel without ever cursing and wondered if someone could do that now. Probably not? This match is much worse than the last because both guys did literally almost nothing and didn't take any bumps. They had a hard time retaining my focus. Crowd was also very suspicious of Macho and obviously for good reason. Now see the difference is that they fucked the crowd over while they were in the building. I also feel like maybe this finish was botched lol. Or maybe it was just a bad idea or something. I mean obviously it was a bad idea but MAYBE it was just that. I'm gonna have to look it up.

This was a good show anyways but if I was there I woulda felt like I'd been cucked.

Staff member
Reaction score
AEW Dynamite 8/31/2022

I dug the opening segment with Mox going fully heel in front of the Chicago crowd.

Bryan Danielson vs. Jake Hager - ***1/2, really strong match that ended in a predictable fashion. However, I was glad to see Hager work the match well and carry his part of the load. Gotta love Daniel Garcia man.

Not really cool with Big Cass coming in by himself. He needs to be paired with someone.

Britt Baker and Jamie Hayter vs. Hikaru Shida and Toni Storm - **, match was alright but most of it being during the commercial wasn't ideal. I thought Hayter nearly broke her neck early in the match.

I can't really say anything about the Punk segment tbh. There's nothing I can say that's equivalent to how good it was.

The Jungle Boy segment was the opposite of that because he isn't intense enough to do a convincing promo.

FTR and Wardlow vs. Silas Young and two jaybrones - You can't rate matches like this. Really looking forward to the FTR match on Sunday though.

More Mox promo time is always good with me too.

Rush vs. Fenix vs. Dante Martin vs. Wheeler Yuta - ***. This won't get enough time but hoo boy. It didn't get enough time but this was fun while it lasted. The spots leading into the commercial were insane.

United Empire vs. The Elite - ****, I really liked the start and middle of this match. I was getting hyped and shit but the end was kinda flat, I felt like this should have been the final. I don't give a single shit about the final actually. So I mean, one of these two matches with the Elite should have been the final. What's the point of doing it otherwise?

Staff member
Reaction score
AEW All Out 2022

Sammy Guevara and Tay Melo vs. Ortiz and Ruby Soho - **3/4. I dig how this match started and thought it was funny for Sammy and Tay to not work in their gear. Very clever. Good while it lasted.

Angelo Parker vs. HOOK - *1/2. Hook is really green seeming whenever he isn't on offense. Match was a whatever. Post-match was good though.

Kip Sabian vs. Pac - **. I don't find Kip interesting and this match wasn't that interesting either. I understand this angle had to end at some point though. Tbh this is one of the worst matches I've seen Pac have.

Eddie Kingston vs. Tomohiro Ishii - ***3/4. If you didn't like this just get the fuck outta this thread right now. That's all I can say.

Casino Ladder Match - Some great spots, but that turned out to be a mess. That being said that was one of the best endings to an opening match I can remember. They made sure that there's a reason to pay attention to the show all the way through. That was pretty cool.

The Elite vs. Dark Order - ***. Alright, it's gonna be hard to care about this match tbh. All I can keep thinking about is the way the ladder match ended. The finishing stretch here was great though.

Athena vs. Jade Cargill - *1/4. Jade is super green but well, we'll see how this goes. Some parts of this were very sloppy but Jade's a work in progress and it's going to take some time. It would be very short sighted to give up on her though.

FTR and Wardlow vs. THE TNA FRONTLINE - ***. There was a time I would have been super excited for all parts of this match, but Jay isn't working the right gimmick anymore. I want Black Machismo to come back man.

Ricky Starks vs. Powerhouse Hobbs - *. I was eagerly anticipating this. This was not what I expected and it ended so fast I feel bad for Ricky.

The Acclaimed vs. Swerve in Our Glory - ****. Dude I wanted the Acclaimed to win so bad. This is the best thing Billy Gunn has ever been part of and man if they knew the crowd was gonna react like that, I think the booking would have gone differently.

Hikaru Shida vs. Jamie Hayter vs. Britt Baker vs. Toni Storm - **1/2. It would seem to me that only one of these wrestlers can conceivably win this match. Hayter and Britt can't work with Rosa, Shida works joshi more frequently now. So that leaves Toni. And of course, Toni won.

Jungle Boy vs. Christian Cage - FUCK YES LUCHASAURUS TURNED BACK HEEL. Great stuff but as I said before you can't rate short matches.

Chris Jericho vs. Bryan Danielson - ****1/4. Jericho started to blow up well into the match but I still liked this quite a lot. It was worked in Bryan's style, the ending was surprising even though it makes sense, and I like seeing Jericho perform like this.

House of Black vs. Miro, Sting, and Darby Allin - ***1/4. Very much looking forward to this. Not buying the stories about Black asking for his release either. That being said after the match I buy them much more. The match was alright but the wrong team won.

CM Punk vs. Jon Moxley - ****1/2. Look man. Everyone looked to the entrance when this match was over but that's a function of modern wrestling. This was a fantastic heavyweight title match. You expect certain things from those kinds of matches and they happened to deliver on them. Of course everyone's going to talk about MJF coming back and that was great but putting that to the side, my hopes were met and far surpassed here.

Staff member
Reaction score
AEW Dynamite 9/7/2022

First of all, Tony was right to vacate both sets of belts. There's really nothing else to be said on this subject.

This MJF promo is fucking hilarious. He's obviously not turning babyface and these people are actually cheering him lirl. This rules and I'm surprised people are falling for it. LIRL YES HE GOES BACK HEEL. THANK YOU MAX.

Death Triangle vs. Best Friends - ***. I don't see the point in putting the trios titles on Best Friends. Chuck has looked like he couldn't care less lately and in this match he didn't exactly work hard. So it's good that they didn't put the titles on Best Friends.

Toni Storm vs. Penelope Ford - *1/2, this match was a whatever and most of it happened during commercial. No comment.

Swerve/Acclaimed program is still going to its natural conclusion. I love it.

Wardlow vs. Tony Nese - lol this is gonna be short. No rating obviously but I'm a big Wardlow guy. He needs to be booked better.

Bryan Danielson vs. Hangman Page - ****1/2. I'm really looking forward to this match. They made greatness twice. Hangman did cause some shit but that doesn't mean anything to me. Get in the ring and get to it. This was another great match between these two. If you expected anything different, well, you shouldn't. Look man I could watch these two wrestle each other forever.

Daniel Garcia vs. Wheeler Yuta - ****. It's obvious Garcia has to win here. He just does. I hate the pure rules though and I always have. They're dumb. This match however was not dumb. It was really good and the finish was great. I think they should double turn Yuta and Garcia though. The angle they had done needs a more thorough resolution and I think Yuta needs some sports entertainment help.

Staff member
Reaction score
Smackdown 9/9/2022

Brawling Brutes vs. Imperium - ****. Look man you probably can't start off a WWE show better than this. They don't really have a lot of interesting wrestlers! The amount of commercials is a huge problem though. Great match regardless of that and if you didn't like this, get your head checked.

Bloodline promo segment is good and I cracked up at Drew Kurt Angling himself in the head with the chair.

Toxic Attraction vs. Raquel Rodriguez and Aliyah - *. Botchville for a while over here. Not a very good match tbh and Raquel is gonna kill someone with that powerbomb.

Lacey Evans vs. Sonya Deville vs. Ronda Rousey vs. Natalya vs. Xia Li - *1/2. Ok so I don't know if they're sabotaging Liv or not so as such it's difficult to predict a winner here and I could not. The lack of personality in the ring here is jarring. Nothing to this match at all and they didn't go very long.

Madimum Male Models and Los Lotharios vs. Hit Row and Street Profits - **1/2. Lmao this models gimmick is fucking funny. Match was acceptable wrestling and it was funny seeing such a strange array of gimmicks in there.

Solo Sikoa vs. Drew McIntyre - **. I don't really have high hopes for this because I haven't watched Sikoa very much. So obviously, I dunno. Match was average and the Karrion Kross angle sucks.

AEW Rampage 9/9/2022

Sammy Guevara vs. Darby Allin - ***1/2. This was a good pro wrestling match man. The spots ultimately end in moves that look like they hurt. Right guy wins too and next week's Mox/Sammy match is gonna end with Sammy bleeding everywhere. And man, that's cool man. These guys have such good matches with each other and really with everyone.

Joe promo is some shit I will never complain about. Same for Miro promos.

Madison Rayne vs. Serena Deeb - *1/2. I love Serena but I think sometimes there's some validity to how little attention they put on the women's division. Serena deserves better tbh.

Dax Harwood vs. Claudio Castagnoli - ****. This is another one of those matches where if you didn't love this, you probably don't love pro wrestling. And that's cool. But you also see during this match that there's a reason they're going to start running Rampage live almost every week. The crowd is so dead by the time the end of Rampage comes that you could put literally anything out there and it would die live. Because really this is probably the best thing you can put out there and it still died?