Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Talk Talk talk

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't recall ever running or seeing a Talk Talk thread at oldboard. Anyway, summer nights with the lights off and the windows open is the best time to take in Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock (The Colour of Spring is definitely daytime; the other two albums whenever), two albums that I'm pretty sure everyone here has or should have since they pretty much set the stage for alienating-era Radiohead and twentysome-and-counting years of meandering crescendo-riding post-rock.

While there's tons to be said for Spirit of Eden/Laughing Stock, I feel The Colour of Spring is uniquely fascinating because of its transitional nature, as I've alluded to before in some thread or another. You have stuff like "April 5th" and "Chameleon Day" that starts to hint at the hallmarks of the next two albums, with instruments sparsely chiming in over ambience, clearer vestiges of New Wave in "Life's What You Make It," and the rest is a weird mix of organics and synthetics.

Somewhat like Why? and the Fiery Furnaces, this is one of those bands whose work is to be compartmentalized as collections of fragments rather than songs. A couple of my favorite Talk Talk musical moments:
- "Living in Another World," the break from about 3.30 to 4.30. Over a soundscape of congas, sequencers, and an organ, Mark Hollis lets loose with this crazy bluegrass-style harmonica solo. Though the rhythm is fairly relaxed, the organ drives it in such a way that it feels very anxious and restless. Exceedingly cool stuff.
- "Life's What You Make It," opening bars. The guitar coming in over the drum machine and piano sounds like nothing so much as Tarzan swinging through the jungle on a vine. Corny, but I don't know how else to describe it. It's lush and dense and suddenly that just slashes right through.
- "It's My Life," pre-chorus and chorus. Granted, this is a full song and not as fragmented as later stuff, but the way Hollis's vocals sound so tortured and strained against the synthesizers, building up to the big drum fill, has always hit me hard. Superb buildup.
- transition between "Ascension Day" and "After the Flood." What a relief.
- "Inheritance," around 2.50. The song shifts to a little Stravinskyan woodwind ensemble section (I believe I hear oboes, clarinets, bassoon, possibly an English horn?), but the microphone positioning here is right up close, a shift from the ambience we're used to, which is what makes it so special.

Does anyone else have Talk Talk thoughts?

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
DON'T YOU FORGET
DOODOODOODOO
IT'S MY LIFE
IT NEVER ENDS
DOODOODOODOO
IT'S MY LIFE

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
My knowledge of Talk Talk begins and ends with It's My Life. So I kind of don't like them because it spawned that awful Gwen Stephani version.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Spirit of Eden/Laughing Stock have nothing to do with that song.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wait a minute, you just said you don't like an entire band's body of work because they made a good song that had a mediocre cover (which was No Doubt, not Gwen Stefani). What a retarded thought. Why bother having it?

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I said the only part of their work I've heard is that one song. So that's all I have to base it off of.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This ended up being about No Doubt instead of Talk Talk. Well hmph.

Where is Tragic Kingdom going to go down in the pantheon of 1990s rock albums? Had some good singles, but the ska-rock movement for which it set the tone really kinda blew. In and of itself, though, "Don't Speak" was always cooler than a lot of the songs it was around on Top 40 radio at the time, and "Sunday Morning" is pretty awesome too. It sounds like the result of listening to a lot of Kimono My House. (Am I alone on that one?) I was never CRAZY about "Just a Girl," finding it a little obnoxious, but I suppose that relative to the girl-power stuff the Spice Girls would eventually do, it wasn't really all that bad.

EDIT: Oh, "Spiderwebs," I hadn't heard that song in yeaaaaarrrrrsss! I always liked the little horn section.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know. Somewhere in the middle for me. I enjoy the singles but I can't remember a single album track. Then again, I can't remember a single album track for 99% of the big mainstream rock albums of the '90s so I guess I can't hold that against Gwen and the gang too much.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I still enjoy "Spiderwebs" whenever I hear it on the radio, or in the grocery store. "Don't Speak" was really cool back then, but if I never heard it again I'd be fine with it. The rest of the album can fuck right off. Gwen's first solo album is better. Sorry, 90s.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
I'm pleased to see the Kimono My House reference. I was under the impression that PLAGIARISM! and I were the only people here who could tolerate that band.

"Sunday Morning" really was the best of the Tragic Kingdom singles, but it seemed like an afterthought coming as it did on the heels of their three megahits.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lamewad.

Kinetic said:
I'm pleased to see the Kimono My House reference. I was under the impression that PLAGIARISM! and I were the only people here who could tolerate that band.
I guess you could say the song has feMael tendencies?

So as to bring the thread full circle, I went back and listened to No Doubt's cover of "It's My Life." It's not as good as Talk Talk's original, but it's not without its merits. It's missing that weird dyspraxic jerkiness that the original and other early Talk Talk songs had, but relative to other updates of 1980s hits (Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal," good god), it's pretty faithful. So this realization pretty much renders the whole No Doubt tangent completely pointless. Way to go.