Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Terminator Salvation

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I overthink everything. My brain will explode one day as a result.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well if that was the prototype for the T-800 then when did the T-600's try to infiltrate? Because Kyle Reese talks about them in the first film like he experienced them and saw them try to infiltrate and talks about how the T-800's were new and better.
I just keep wondering if the future is different at all.
Wiki mentions something about the Arnold/T-800 in T:S being activated 10 years ahead of time.

I still don't understand how Skynet knows anything about Kyle Reese or what he will do at that point in time, unless he was able to search every known database and read the files about him and Terminator from the 80's. Actually that makes sense.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I couldn't figure out why Skynet would know anything about Kyle Reese either. The movie was woefully unclear about its biggest plot hitches. The best my roommates and I could come up with was that the 1984 Arnold sent Skynet a letter.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well I think I figured it out. If Skynet is all knowing then he had access to police files and Cyberdyne files which mention Kyle Reese, the Terminator and Sarah Connor.

Nightwing

Nightwing
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
Well I think I figured it out. If Skynet is all knowing then he had access to police files and Cyberdyne files which mention Kyle Reese, the Terminator and Sarah Connor.

Theoretically, Cyberdyne and the Federal Government would have their own files on the incident (Considering Cyberdyne had been working on US defense contracts), and Skynet wouldn't have to be all-knowing to have even direct access to it. After that, a search of Sarah Conner through the Federal Government Database (She's surely on there, considering she's pretty much a terrorist) to find Conner's medical history, which would reveal her rantings at the mental institution. She talked about Skynet a bunch, and I'm sure she mentioned Kyle at least once.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One thing that I have never, ever understood:

In T2, they firmly establish that Miles Dyson, employee of Cyberdyne, is the creator of Skynet. That's historical fact in the Judgement Day Crappy Future, the same timeline where John Connor leads the resistance against the machines and Kyle Reese is sent back in time. As we all know, at the end of the movie, Dyson is dead and Cyberdyne is destroyed. Ergo, Skynet should never have existed.

Which is why I've never, ever understood the plot developments in T3. How is this Destiny shit supposed to work? Okay, to continue the franchise, I understand the idea that a similar sentient computer system might be created in the future which does mostly the same stuff Skynet did. However, the key words there are "similar" and "mostly". How is it EXACTLY the same thing? It's called "Skynet", the exact same name of the Dyson/Cyberdyne computer which has now never existed. It uses the exact freaking same types of robots as Skynet Prime was supposed to in its own future. Somehow the exact same stuff happened, just a few years later than it was originally supposed to.

I don't buy it. I don't buy that Claire Danes/Bryce Howard's dad would JUST SO HAPPEN to name his computer "Skynet" like Dyson was going to name his. I don't buy that the military would happen to be building the same kind of combat robots that Cyberdyne was going to. (The T-800s are even CALLED "Cyberdyne Systems Model 101".) And if it turns out that Mr. Danes-Howard did indeed really build the machines, then why did Arnold in T2 think that Dyson was the guy who built them? Forget a bunch of "if Reese hadn't gone back in time, would John have been born?" type questions, this shit right here is a much much bigger plot hole.

There's other stuff you could nitpick; how did Kyle Reese not know about T2 Arnold, and how did that guy not know about T3 Arnold? Presumably, Skynet sent its robots back in time all in a row to make sure Connor was dead before Judgement Day started (except for the Terminatrix, which was sent back years after the original Judgement Day start date of 1997... ARGH MY BRAIN), so why did the Resistance send back their own guardians piecemeal, one by one, with no knowledge of the other missions that were presumably happening at the same time?

Let's face it, anytime you start doing sci-fi stories about time travel, particularly about an action franchise which should've been over and done with after the second movie but keeps getting restarted due to financial greed, you're gonna keep running into these big plot holes.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kyle's history has been slightly altered due to the events of the previous films, as he never been forced to work in one of Skynet's concentration camps. He is already working with and protecting a child named Star when the two later save Marcus Wright from a T-600 attack.
So the events of T2 and T3 did change the Terminator future and history? So time isn't a continually spinning loop where the same thing happens over and over again? What happened isn't what happened?
*head explodes*
Oh and in this one they debut the T-800 before debuting the rubber skinned T-600 infiltrators. I mean we see T-600's but Kyle Reese in the first one had seem them in action infiltrating. Confusing.

CBright7831

2016/17 Poster of the Year
Reaction score
Just thinking about all of this makes me feel like my head is about to -
HeadExplode.gif

Anakin Flair

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I read this on MSNBC.com today, and just had to post it. I'll put it under spoiler tags, just in case. This is about an alternate ending to Terminator: Salvation.

SPOILER ALERT: Do not read any further if you don’t want to know plot details of “Terminator Salvation.” Seriously! You’ve been warned!

Two weeks before “Terminator Salvation” hit theaters, the film’s director, McG, sat in his L.A. production office for an interview with EW. He was talking about the swirl of rumors and gossip surrounding the film — about how bloggers had posted all kinds of far-fetched speculation during production and how it drove him nuts.

And then, out of nowhere, McG smiles and says, “Here’s something I’ve never talked about before...”.

Now, before we go any further, there’s some backstory about the movie’s plot you’ll need to know if you haven’t already seen it. “Terminator Salvation” is set in the year 2018 — after the apocalyptic Judgment Day, which was prophesied in the earlier films. There are three main characters in the story: John Connor (Christian Bale), the son of Sarah Connor who will lead the resistance against the evil Skynet; Kyle Reese (Anton Yelchin), the young resistance fighter who will grow up and eventually travel back in time (as seen in the 1984 original when Reese was played by Michael Biehn) to impregnate Sarah Connor with the young savior, John Connor; and Marcus Wright, a mysterious dude who’s half human, half machine programmed by Skynet (the fact that he’s unaware of this makes for some of the most poignant scenes in the film).

Okay, now back to McG’s big, juicy secret. A secret, by the way, that Bale will back up as you read on.

“There was talk on the Internet about an alternate ending where Connor dies and they take Connor’s likeness and put it on top of Marcus Wright’s machine body. So that it’s actually a machine that’s leading the resistance! And the Internet caught wind of that and people went, ‘That’s bulls---! We don’t want that!’”

McG grins. “Well, that’s not really what the ending was.”

Actually, the bloggers were on the right track. Except, McG adds, the original ending actually went even further.

“Connor dies, okay? He’s dead,” McG continues. “And Marcus offers his physical body, so Connor’s exterior is put on top of his machine body. It looks like Connor, but it’s really Marcus underneath. And all of the characters we care about (Kyle Reese, Connor’s wife Kate, etc.) are brought into the room to see him and they think it’s Connor. And Connor gets up and then there’s a small flicker of red in his eyes and he shoots Kate, he shoots Kyle, he shoots everybody in the room. Fade to black. End of movie. Skynet wins. F--- you!”

F--- you, indeed.

We tell the director that this would be the darkest, bleakest summer blockbuster ending of all time. He agrees.

“It’s the most nihilistic thing of all time. And Christian went f---ing crazy, of course. He was insistent that it be done that way! He wanted the bad guys to win! Can you imagine the oxygen going out of the theater?! What just happened! It would piss you off! But maybe two years from now, you’d think it was ballsy. But in the end, it just felt like too much of a bummer.”

He pauses, thinking about the alternate ending that wasn’t. “Maybe we blew it.”

McG says the studio had signed off on this original dark-as-night ending. But something about it didn’t smell right to him in the end. How could a movie with a reported budget of $200 million and a possible future of sequels possibly end that way?

EW sits down with Bale the next day and tells the star how McG let the cat out of the bag. Bale laughs. “There’s not much McG can keep in, is there?”

Was he really, as McG says, gung-ho to shoot that everyone-dies ending?

“I’m not the director,” says Bale. “There came to be a different option that almost everyone, except myself, felt was the better way to go. I took a bit of convincing, but you know, at the end of the day, you need a director to make that call.”

But doesn’t he think that his “Salvation” would have been a depressing bummer, not to mention suicide at the box office?

“Done the way I saw it? No. But am I disappointed with this one? No.”

That would have been the best ending I'd see in theaters since Golden Compass' rather abrupt ending.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We talked about that earlier, Anakin.

It sounds awesome, but I don't think it would play well on the screen

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
There was parts of the movie where I felt like I was watching Mad Max meets Transformers but overall, I enjoyed it and thought they really had a good balance of new original storyline to play into the mythology of the Terminator story, and enough backstory to bridge into the current as well and homages to the other three films to where it worked. I actually thought that they really were going to kill Connor off since the big fight at the end was Connor against another Arnold and I recalled the information that Connor would be killed by a T-101 model (thats the Arnolds right?) in the future, so I figured this was it. Especially then, they did as close to a Connor kill as you can get. So have they changed the future now, or is he still going to be facing another Arnold in one of the next few Terminators? That would seem like a bit of overkill at this point to have another big finale with Connor and the Arnold terminator, so I'm hoping that is the last we see of that. When you need to CGI the guys face on another body, you know it's time to move on with that.

Wondering already what they have up their sleeves for the next two films they claim to have all figured out already. I know there was alot of dialogue on Marcus' brother, so I'm wondering if somehow the Marcus character is revived and somehow time travels before he was arrested and we figure out what that was all about? Seems like there is something there they have planned, or else it wouldn't have been addressed so much.

Obviously, given the timelines of things, I would assume the next film may finally reveal the time traveling portal, I would imagine?

Also, unless I am forgetting something, wasn't Cyberdine Systems dissolved in T2 and it didn't even exist in T3? That's really the only thing I could nitpick about with the logic of the mythology of the past tying into the new film, other than what has already been mentioned. Note that Cyberdine actually was the company that Marcus "signed his life" over to. That was in 2003 apparently, and one would have figured Cyderdine was not an entity at all at this point, although Skynet was still lurking in the background then (under a different name) I guess thats what we are supposed to think with Cyberdine.

Also, I think Jingus was asking about the "what, wheres and hows" of the bridging of T2 and T3 (and subsequentally this one as well) since it was pretty well established (and can even be seen on an alternate ending for T2) that Judgment Day, simply, never happened at the end of T2, Skynet (or anyone associated with Skynet) never became anything from that point, etc. I think the answer is simple as James Cameron never wanted to do another Terminator film after the second, and hence laid things out to be as much of a conclusion as he possibly could with that film. So it's virtually impossible to be flawless against the mythology because of that. But since he had signed the rights off to the franchise way back when to his ex-wife (who also produced the first three films) he had no say or creative involvement in T3, and even though there has been rumors he was offering McG advice for the current film, sounds like that was BS.

D

Dr. Zaius

Justice and Rule said:
Damaramu said:

Theoretically, Cyberdyne and the Federal Government would have their own files on the incident (Considering Cyberdyne had been working on US defense contracts), and Skynet wouldn't have to be all-knowing to have even direct access to it. After that, a search of Sarah Conner through the Federal Government Database (She's surely on there, considering she's pretty much a terrorist) to find Conner's medical history, which would reveal her rantings at the mental institution. She talked about Skynet a bunch, and I'm sure she mentioned Kyle at least once.

Dr. Silberman, the police psychiatrist who was in T1-T3, both met Kyle Reese in the first movie and Sarah told him the future soldier who'd been sent to protect her was the father of her child (revealed whe he was briefing the other psychiatrists in T2). That doesn't explain how the information got to Skynet, though. Actually, nothing about Kyle's relationship to John makes any sense, even ignoring the glaring time paradoxes, since John's basically telling anyone and everyone his father was from the future and his name is Kyle Reese, but he's going to spend the next 10 years sending Kyle on dangerous missions....oh, shit, I have a migrane now.

Nightwing

Nightwing
Reaction score
Jingus said:
One thing that I have never, ever understood:

In T2, they firmly establish that Miles Dyson, employee of Cyberdyne, is the creator of Skynet. That's historical fact in the Judgement Day Crappy Future, the same timeline where John Connor leads the resistance against the machines and Kyle Reese is sent back in time. As we all know, at the end of the movie, Dyson is dead and Cyberdyne is destroyed. Ergo, Skynet should never have existed.

Which is why I've never, ever understood the plot developments in T3. How is this Destiny shit supposed to work? Okay, to continue the franchise, I understand the idea that a similar sentient computer system might be created in the future which does mostly the same stuff Skynet did. However, the key words there are "similar" and "mostly". How is it EXACTLY the same thing? It's called "Skynet", the exact same name of the Dyson/Cyberdyne computer which has now never existed. It uses the exact freaking same types of robots as Skynet Prime was supposed to in its own future. Somehow the exact same stuff happened, just a few years later than it was originally supposed to.

I don't buy it. I don't buy that Claire Danes/Bryce Howard's dad would JUST SO HAPPEN to name his computer "Skynet" like Dyson was going to name his. I don't buy that the military would happen to be building the same kind of combat robots that Cyberdyne was going to. (The T-800s are even CALLED "Cyberdyne Systems Model 101".) And if it turns out that Mr. Danes-Howard did indeed really build the machines, then why did Arnold in T2 think that Dyson was the guy who built them? Forget a bunch of "if Reese hadn't gone back in time, would John have been born?" type questions, this shit right here is a much much bigger plot hole.

There's other stuff you could nitpick; how did Kyle Reese not know about T2 Arnold, and how did that guy not know about T3 Arnold? Presumably, Skynet sent its robots back in time all in a row to make sure Connor was dead before Judgement Day started (except for the Terminatrix, which was sent back years after the original Judgement Day start date of 1997... ARGH MY BRAIN), so why did the Resistance send back their own guardians piecemeal, one by one, with no knowledge of the other missions that were presumably happening at the same time?

Let's face it, anytime you start doing sci-fi stories about time travel, particularly about an action franchise which should've been over and done with after the second movie but keeps getting restarted due to financial greed, you're gonna keep running into these big plot holes.

Getting into weird areas, but I've RPGs (GURPS, how I love thee...) where time-travel is used, and there's one way you could explain it: a high-inertia timeline. A high inertia timeline or even just the concept of high inertia time means that despite smaller changes in the timeline, most major events and players will generally still occur in some way at the end of the day. So you could move around where General Lee is on the battlefield, maybe help him get ahead one day... but the Union is still going to win in the end. It'd take a major, major event to set things spinning off into another, very distinct timeline.

For example, with the Terminator timeline, Kyle Reese might not have originally been John's father. But the high inertia nature of the timeline adapts because, in the grand scheme of things, it's a relatively minor change. Same with Arnold saving his life later on; it might not necessarily have occurred originally, but the timeline changes after they send the T-1000 back. Rather than changing the timeline outright, they're sort of rewriting how they got to the point they're at.

Dr. Zaius said:
Justice and Rule said:
Damaramu said:

Dr. Silberman, the police psychiatrist who was in T1-T3, both met Kyle Reese in the first movie and Sarah told him the future soldier who'd been sent to protect her was the father of her child (revealed whe he was briefing the other psychiatrists in T2). That doesn't explain how the information got to Skynet, though. Actually, nothing about Kyle's relationship to John makes any sense, even ignoring the glaring time paradoxes, since John's basically telling anyone and everyone his father was from the future and his name is Kyle Reese, but he's going to spend the next 10 years sending Kyle on dangerous missions....oh, shit, I have a migrane now.

Again, if Skynet is becoming self-aware, it makes sense to know about it's own development. Sarah Conner is going to come up a bunch during those files, and it's not hard for a such a powerful computer entity to get access to the internet and break into some medical files. Hell, maybe it read those files, figured that Conner wouldn't stop until it was dead, and launched the attack as a strike back to stop itself from being destroyed.

D

Dr. Zaius

That's the possibly the most reasonable/least migraine-inducing explanation I've read so far.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When the ending of this movie was coming around I thought that it would be a neat twist of Connor died, and that Kate would give birth to John Junior and that it would turn out that he was the John Connor who actually lead the resistance in this timeline.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In Terminator 3 Arnold reveals he killed John Connor and then was sent back after being reprogrammed. How was he able to get so close to John? Did he explain that? Because John is very mistrustful of the machines in T:S. You'd think he would see Arnie walking in and go "Well that's a Terminator"

Wiki seems to suggest the future is changed in T:S. It mentions that Marcus Wright was a new variable in this equation and it allowed them to activate the T-800 a whole 10 years earlier than expected.
I wonder then if Kyle Reese has ever seen the T-600's in action with the rubber skin and such as he alludes to in Terminator.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The T-600s were the terminators that were standard grunts, like the one he fought in L.A., and the one John Connor kills at the beginning by the helicopter, and more specifically, the prison guard.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What I'm assuming at this point is that the T-800 arm that the scientists find at the end of the original somehow accelerates its own development somehow because a wizard did it. I do think that it being left in the past is more important than it seems in the later movies.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Mattdotcom said:
What I'm assuming at this point is that the T-800 arm that the scientists find at the end of the original somehow accelerates its own development somehow because a wizard did it. I do think that it being left in the past is more important than it seems in the later movies.

I'm not following what you are saying whatsoever. A wizard?

The arm left from the first film is referenced in T2, subsequentally destroyed at the end. So I don't think they are going to magically be able to bring that back in later films, if thats what you are saying.

RE: how Skynet got so big and more importantly, why they know of Kyle Reese, bare with me here but shouldn't they already (at this stage) kind of know Reese since he was in the cop shop from the first filmm so he basically had an FBI file? Plus throw the shrink from the first three films into the mix as well about it all and there was defiantely ways for Skynet to be smart to the importance of Kyle Reese in this timeline. I mean I know we have to suspend disbelief that this supposedly hasn't "happened yet" (since we havent gotten to the point in the films where Reese is even sent back to 1984) but it kind of already has, if you know what I mean. It's just an alternate timeline kind of thing that is referenced by the fact that Reese IS on file and was definately a part of history because of one fact - John Connor is a human being. Reese would have HAD to be a part of past history already for Connor to even have been born.

And on the question how Arnold was able to get so close to John to kill him, and then be sent back to T3 timeline, what I think the ending of this film was trying to say was THIS was the moment where Arnold perhaps killed Connor. But now the future is changed since fate dictated that John Connor's life was saved by Marcus, which wasn't in the proverbial "books" prior, if that makes any sense. It's possible that after Connor's death, the Resistence then took hold of this first Arnold and sent it back to T3 timeline, to try to first and foremost prevent Judgment Day from occuring over and beyond anything. Thus, this Arnold that was subsequentally killed by Marcus was the first Arnold to REALLY be sent back somehow, someway. I'm probably way off on this theory though.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vitamin X said:
The T-600s were the terminators that were standard grunts, like the one he fought in L.A., and the one John Connor kills at the beginning by the helicopter, and more specifically, the prison guard.

I realize that. But Reese talks in T-1 about them being easy to spot because of having rubber skin. As if he was there for them to infiltrate. T:S pretty much throws that part out the window.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
RedJed said:
Mattdotcom said:

I'm not following what you are saying whatsoever. A wizard?

I might be kidding about one part of that

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Note to RedJed: You can't gladly have watched every episode of Impact for the past few years, claim to have followed and understood what was happening, then nitpick a 2 hour film. Just not allowed, sir.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
Vitamin X said:

I realize that. But Reese talks in T-1 about them being easy to spot because of having rubber skin. As if he was there for them to infiltrate. T:S pretty much throws that part out the window.

Lets be honest and look at this from the series growth. It's been pretty well shown that each epic failure made Skynet and the Terminators realize they needed to step up their game to eliminate John, hence the more advanced bots. With each attempt, more people died. We have no evidence whether or not the Sara Connors Arnie iced in one gave birth too or had anything to do with the course of the resistance but it's possible.

Add in the destruction and death in T2 and obviously more changes were made to the timeline. Finally in T3, half of the resistance top leaders are wiped out by the Loken-bot. Like John said, it's a different reality from what he was originally told about. All the things they did, eventually things alter.

Skynet knows that Kyle Reese stops them so obviously it's not going to constantly repeat mistakes. Plus it might also have the documented notes from Sara's "stay" in the mental hospital since she wouldn't shut the fuck up. What I don't get in the slightest is why they just never sent back a damn suicide terminator that just grabbed him and frickin exploded instead of one that needed to shoot him.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
2GOLD said:
Damaramu said:
Vitamin X said:

Lets be honest and look at this from the series growth. It's been pretty well shown that each epic failure made Skynet and the Terminators realize they needed to step up their game to eliminate John, hence the more advanced bots. With each attempt, more people died. We have no evidence whether or not the Sara Connors Arnie iced in one gave birth too or had anything to do with the course of the resistance but it's possible.

Add in the destruction and death in T2 and obviously more changes were made to the timeline. Finally in T3, half of the resistance top leaders are wiped out by the Loken-bot. Like John said, it's a different reality from what he was originally told about. All the things they did, eventually things alter.

Skynet knows that Kyle Reese stops them so obviously it's not going to constantly repeat mistakes. Plus it might also have the documented notes from Sara's "stay" in the mental hospital since she wouldn't shut the fuck up. What I don't get in the slightest is why they just never sent back a damn suicide terminator that just grabbed him and frickin exploded instead of one that needed to shoot him.

So if Skynet managed to change the past and it changed the future then does that mean that certain Terminators are never going to be sent back to change the past thus meaning the past was never changed thus the future should not be changed? *head explodes again*

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would laugh if they weren't actually going into the past but into alternate dimensions' pasts and just fucking up their worlds and not realizing why their own future/present isn't changing. Stupid Skynet - time travel is for Lost. =P

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
2GOLD said:
Damaramu said:
Vitamin X said:

So if Skynet managed to change the past and it changed the future then does that mean that certain Terminators are never going to be sent back to change the past thus meaning the past was never changed thus the future should not be changed? *head explodes again*

Well no see, the future sent back Terminators are now part of the past so therefore umm..they will try to change the future so the past doesn't....GOD DAMMIT JJ ABRAMS!

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damaramu said:

This guy makes an interesting point about not thinking of time as a single stream with specific points.. but more as a river that can fork.. and each fork is an alternate timeline (or parallel universe).

Michio Kaku: Time Travel, Parallel Universes, and Reality