King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Last edited:

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
giving this a glance over really quick and will read it later. It's clearly fascinating but good lord the way they spice this up for dumb people to get their attention with all the graphics and gifs/videos is an eyesore.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well, it's hard to add hand puppets into that article to get it through to the average layman (or George W Bush)

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been reading investigative journalism about what a corrupt money pit Afghanistan has become and how futile the military/police training has been for 15 years. Sadly there's hardly anything new here

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is disheartening how few Americans really care about it though.

Like the neverending war is, at best, like in bottom half of the top 10 causes for concern even for woke people

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Why would they give a shit? Not like anyone's been asked to sacrifice anything or drafted to fight. Everyone gets to keep buying Wounded Warrior Project-labeled products, putting on their US flag shirts, and saying they support the troops. It gives everyone a warm and fuzzy and the circle jerk continues. Osama won, we just won't admit it because too many can profit from this in byzantine ways. The public is ill-equipped to think critically and simply doesn't care. Now we have legal adults who know nothing but this reality in their lifetimes. Still, no one cares. Bring back the fucking draft, that'll make people start paying attention. Naaaaah, let's push the burden onto the rural and poor populations instead. They like shooting things, right?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Biden announced yesterday that U.S. is pulling all troops out of Afghanistan by 9-11. 20th Anniversary. Jfc. Two decades there (basically) for what exactly?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Biden announced yesterday that U.S. is pulling all troops out of Afghanistan by 9-11. 20th Anniversary. Jfc. Two decades there (basically) for what exactly?
To lose 2400 men and women killed to avenge 3000 people killed on 9/11 by killing a bunch of people in the desert with AKs with probably several thousand people killed as collateral damage. But hey, it sounded like a good idea at the time.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll never open the forbidden door of asking, but my sister's deployment was Afghanistan and earned her a promotion to sergeant. Mom was glued to cable news every free moment. If she could have had a 4-5 way split screen monitoring any mention of younger SFH's base. It was a wretched and emotional nightmare. I know she was "only" public affairs, but there were frequent bomb attacks and one story she DID tell us involved her going off base for a transport and getting yanked out the car by a local, a fellow soldier quickly secured her and non-lethally detained the local.

My brother-in-law has "seen some shit" per my sis but with every soldier I can't ask questions because I'm a civilian.

These near 2 decades of war have exposed people I care about and probably people you all care about to some of the worst atrocities humans can do to one another. Consequences to the perpetrators of 9/11 were definitely needed, but hindsight indicates it isn't the best strategy to lead from impulse and vengeance, and ultimately, most of the radical eastern sects are still pissed at us and would do an 18/22 to us if given the opportunity. In 03, with the the events of that horrible morning relatively still fresh, I did a paper for GOV499, Military Intervention, on the operation in Afghanistan, the hunt for OBL. I found some good stuff, but damn it was dated pretty quickly. Thinking about it, being able to find all of those 300+ page books makes me sick at the cash grab by the publishers.

Staff member
Reaction score
We have kids there who weren't even born on 9/11. I was glad when Trump said he was going to do this, but he should have actually done it instead of pass it on to the next guy. This had to stop.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
To his credit, Trump was going to actually do this thing he spoke of but he was too busy being a stupid fucking bitch.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
you were saying a lot more extreme shit than not trusting the story lol.

Also if you read the entire article (which I know is paywalled) or other sources. They are not saying the bounties were not placed or that it was not Russia. They are saying how confident they are.

"White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Thursday during a press briefing attributed the level of confidence in the assessment in part to the reliance on detainee reporting and the “challenging operational environment in Afghanistan.”

They also said this on the same day they put new sanctions on Russia. It's a softening to go with the stick.

This includes more not paywalled.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
personally my opinion is they know there are bounties and they dont know for sure who put them. they might have had at the time rumors it was russia and the intelligence agencies leaked it to put pressure on trump. The bounties themselves exited for sure. It's a pretty standard motivational tactic to offer some kind of reward for killing enemy soldiers in a guerrilla war.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Ah yes, ammunition for the "CIA created al Qaeda to increase its budget" crowd.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They give these interviews all the time especially near the anniversarys. There's nothing new about it beyond the fact that its normally ignored as it should be.

Al Qaeda's origins can't really be blamed on any one group. America/CIA is involved in it but mostly through incompetency/"good intentions", etc. Iran and the Saudis competition for dominance over the Middle East is a huge factor for it and a lot of other things that happened.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
The Taliban controls every city in the country except for Kabul, and it looks like that is a matter of time.

Pulling out wasn’t a good idea.

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it was. Were we supposed to permanently colonize the country? Stay there forever? At some point Afghans have to be responsible for themselves. If they don’t want their country to be run by the Taliban they should do something about it. It isn’t our job to waste all our money on them, and it’s wrong to send our soldiers over there and fuck their lives up in the process.

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, the withdrawal went bad because the people who controlled the military wanted this to go badly. They didn't like that Biden made a tough decision and they were hoping that he would reverse Trump's decision. When he didn't do that, they had a vested interest in fucking it all up because they thought he would redeploy troops. Yet Biden isn't doing that so now they want it to go even worse. Whatever collateral damage there is as a result of their poor planning doesn't really matter to military brass who are cool with fighting wars literally forever because they will do anything to achieve that.

They were able to bully Obama into sending more troops even though Biden was standing there talking about leaving way back in 2009. They had it out for Biden on this from day one. These guys are going to the media and feeding them information like the withdrawal happened all of a sudden because Biden decided on a whim to do it. They were supposed to be planning this for 1.5 years. It's baked into the military to be pro-imperialism, but the thing they aren't telling you is that the Taliban were gaining ground even before all this. People are not getting the full story here. Prominent Afghans are leaving their government positions to join the Taliban.

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, lest we forget, after 9/11 the US and Russia were sharing air bases in order to attack the Taliban and al-Qaeda. Russia and China wanted us to bomb the fuck out of of terrorist training camps and kill the Taliban. The Bush admin then decided we needed bases there and to occupy the country. We had the same interests and could have established new relationships with those two countries that could have changed the world as we know it. Instead look what happened.

9/11 is also greatly responsible for our domestic politics being how they are now, and it was a catalyst for changes in society that increased domestic terrorism, but that's a whole other thing.