Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Agent of Oblivion Metal Alphabet: 'A' is for ATHEIST

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
A new series I'm bringing to the board. I'm going through the alphabet and choosing one metal band per letter and posting a thread about them, kind of like Poopington's funk thread, only not.

Let's listen to some Atheist!

Atheist "The Formative Years"

This is from 1991's Unquestionable Presence, which is very great and something you should own. They were doing their shit back in the 80's, but never really put all the pieces together into something significant until this album. Progressive metal, and the good kind, not the Dream Theater kind. They never sacrifice balls for the sake of chops. They laid a little groundwork to expand on what death metal would eventually turn into, but there aren't any burp growls here, so for those who are sensitive to that sort of thing, there's enough metal snarl here without being funny or dumb about it. Everyone in the band is first-rate in terms of technical goods, and a large portion of their fanbase is people in other metal bands, I'd wager.

1993 brough us Elements; a concept album about, no shit, ancient elements like fire and earth and air and all that shit. I actually like it better than Unquestionable Presence, but I'm in the minority with that opinion. It's dicey business when metal bands want to get all concepty, but it fuckin' rocks. Here's the title track:

Atheist - Elements

Oh, and there's Piece of Time, which predated those two and is still really good and all, but no one really gives a shit about it for some reason.

Atheist-Piece Of Time

Use the rest of this thread to discover/discuss ATHEIST

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
There's the ones that spring immediately to mind: Anthrax, Amon Amarth, At the Gates, Arnocorps (more punk, but metal enough), All That Remains (blech!), As I Lay Dying (double blech!), Austrian Death Machine (half-blech!), Arch Enemy, Acid Bath, Autopsy, Arsis. I'll go with one of each.

Anthrax - "Indians"

Amon Amarth - "Twilight of the Thunder God"

At the Gates - "Blinded by Fear"

Arnocorps - "Commando"

All That Remains - "The Deepest Gray"

As I Lay Dying - "Forever"

Austrian Death Machine - "Get to the Choppa"

Arch Enemy - "Nemesis"

Acid Bath - "Toubabo Koomi"

Autopsy - "Charred Remains"

Arsis - "We Are The Nightmare"

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
I'm going to go the Agent route and elaborate on bands rather than just tossing out names.

Agent Steel - Released two speed metal albums in the mid 80's, built around the soaring vocals of John Cyriis and lyrical themes centering on paranormal phenomenon which have lead some people to term them as "X-Files metal". First album, Skeptics Apocalypse ("Bleed for the Godz") is pure speed metal goodness IMO. Their second album, Unstoppable Force ("Unstoppable Force"), slowed things down a little bit and, while good in its own right, wasn't quite as good as SA. After those two albums they broke up and largely disappeared until 1999 when a couple original members got back together with a new vocalist and have released three albums since then, although I only liked the first two: Omega Conspiracy ("Illuminati is Machine") and Order of the Illimunati ("Enslaved")

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
I thought Corey might have mention this, but Armored Saint was one of the better thrash metal bands to come out of the 80's and I don't mind Revelation as well that was released in 2000. John Bush is an amazing vocalist.

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
Acid Bath's great and all, but I like the Agents album better than either Acid Bath release and it's not metal at all, so I went with Atheist.

Besides, Atheist is just better. No one likes swampy drug shit better than me, but Atheist genuinely revolutionized a genre.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hey, I like this "Elements." Sounds like it could sneak into a classic rock radio station's playlist amidst some Rush and Metallica, but it's not always evident where the song is going, it just goes. Usually I can feel my way through the beginning, middle, and end of that sorta stuff.

Well, I guess I did listen to Acid Bath after all, didn't I. I think it made me sleepy.

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
Czech, you should dig into that one a little. It's a really neat album. You mentioned it just going somewhere; there's this latin jazz breakdown interlude that comes outta f'n nowhere and goes back to technical metal. Some kind of electronic "elements" (tee hee) in there too.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When is that new Atheist album coming out anyway? I missed their latest tour since they didn't come near my area, I assume there will be another when the album is actually out.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Ayreon - fairly difficult to describe band, if you could call it a band at all, since it's really one guy and numerous guest musicians. While I do like them, I can't help but think of the following chat I had with Czech about them.

Slayer: anyways, if you're interested in Ayreon, first I'd check out Universal Migrator, which was originally two discs sold separately but are now one set. The first disc concept about the last man on Mars (as we had to move there because Earth went fucked up, but it's not enviro-preachy or anything, don't worry) who uses a dream sequencer to review parts/events of history and the music is largely 70's prog influence. The second disc is the man going way back to even before the Earth existed and exploring space and the music is more metal.

If this all sounds really pretentious... it might be a little, but the music is really good IMO, and it features quite the cast of vocalists
CzechRepublic: That sounds very pretentious. Does he wear a cape?
Slayer: no, he's actually very down to earth
Slayer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Migrator_Part_1:_The_Dream_Sequencer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Migrator_Part_2:_Flight_of_the_Migrator
Slayer: another one is The Human Equation, which is about a man in a coma and the conflicts of emotions in his mind as he recounts memories from his life
Slayer: the latest one, 01011001, is a sequel of sorts to TUM
CzechRepublic: how do you pronounce that
CzechRepublic: oh-one-oh-one-one-oh-oh-one?
Slayer: good question
Slayer: I have to look it up everytime because I can't remember the sequence
Slayer: it's binary for 89 though, which in turn is ASCII for the letter Y, which was significant in the plots of previous CDs
Slayer: ...man, this really does sound pretentious doesn't it

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
jimmy no nose said:
When is that new Atheist album coming out anyway? I missed their latest tour since they didn't come near my area, I assume there will be another when the album is actually out.
They have a live album/best of album coming out soon, but nothing new yet.

Cerebus The Aardvark

Something fell!
Reaction score
Atheist is the stone nuts. Them reforming is one of the very, very few things that could get me back into metal again, if only a little.

Piece of Time is criminally underrated, IMO, but Unquestionable Presence is ridiculous. Elemnts was good, but had points where I found it almost a chore to listen to.